TheVerge and Engadget reviews disagree over CPU, battery and display

sidamos

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
Engadget: CPU not so fast, battery life poor, display great.
TheVerge: CPU very fast, battery life great, display looks washed out.

Hmm...

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Battery life is hard to gauge except for yourself since usage case varies so much with smartphones. When it comes to speed I'm not concerned; N4 is going to do anything you want it to for at least the next 12-18 months. As for the screen, I have a feeling that's going to fall largely along AMOLED fanboy lines.

TheUI

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
engadget is and always will be an isheep site.

Topolsky is quite possibly, the quintessential fanboy.

I have no problem with objective reviews, but things like "the glass back is a negative" whenever he praised the beauty of the iPhone 4/4s in back to back reviews isn't even coy enough to get angry about. I can't take that guy seriously.

Also, if you look in our forum here, at the Poll/Thread LTE Question, you'll see just how predictable that guy is.

He doesn't talk about the implications of Nexus at all. He doesn't talk about the fact that Nexus is a singular device that out of the box has more plug and play ability than any product on the market (on Networks). He doesn't talk about the incredible price, or the fact that if you want that "glorious LTE" he continually references your choice is essentially VZW at $130/mo for what, 2GB?

Give me a break man. Honor your craft a little and try to see the forest for the trees - the Nexus is a huge opportunity for mobile products, as far as a paradigm shift is concerned, and the focal point of this thing, is - the glass back and LTE? Please.

I'm sure the SG3 is a better choice for some users, but T's review is clown shoes.

Sent from my MB855 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Topolsky is quite possibly, the quintessential fanboy. I have no problem with objective reviews, but things like "the glass back is a negative" whenever he praised the beauty of the iPhone 4/4s in back to back reviews isn't even coy enough to get angry about. I can't take that guy seriously.
I've never read his reviews before, but I'll be keeping in mind that he's someone who knocks off a point for anything lacking a logo depicting gnawed fruit. That he's a hipster living in Brooklyn (Billyburg and DUMBO represent!) comes screaming through.

5 mbps is slow? For me, that's five times better than what Trudge is delivering, so boo-friggedy-hoo over it being five times slower than LTE for you, Bub.

Points off because it cracked when you dropped it? Um, gee, what happens when you drop an iPhone 4? Until Google makes a phone made of titanium and transparent aluminum (and puts a gnawed fruit logo on the back), methinks this guy would bash it. It's odd that he's the only one so far who hasn't said the display is equal to the HOX. Maybe he got a bad unit or was making stuff up to preserve Cupertino's preeminence?

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
kind of concerned with the mixed reviews as well. I think it is just showing the bias and styles of the various reviewers. I expect the following

Screen - awesome and crisp, better than the g nex is every way.
Battery - not razr maxx status but substantially better than the g nex. Expecting a full day of use dude to s4 efficiency and lack of 4G LTE
CPU / Speed - the ram and cpu are top notch but I am concerned that google did not optimize them properly. the optimus g with nearly identical specs is benchmarking WAY better. It seems practical use is not affected in the reviews.

TheUI

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

I'm not saying he's a bad person, and I respect his contributions to the blogging world, but he has (since I've read his work on Engadget) this habituality of contradiction that overtly leans in favor of X; where X equals a particular brand.

Now if you're writing for MacRumors, you get a little leeway with that, but to write for a tech blog, you need to consciously sit that stuff aside. It takes work I know, I've been so morally opposed to things in my career that I nearly had a break down, but in honor of your craft you have to move past it.

And of course, these are my opinions, and you know - I'd share a round with the guy, I just don't agree with his prose, and I feel he is too significant to the blogging and "tech talk" community to be acting that way.

Sent from my MB855 using Android Central Forums

shingi_70

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Topolsky has been a big android guy since ICS and the Galaxy Nexus. He has pretty much said that android is the new webos in his eyes and if the android had more applications and the nexus 4 had lte he could move to android only.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

snaqvi91

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Do you think it's possible that these differences are because of quality issues like on the Nexus 7?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Ziptied

Your Resident Googler
May 26, 2010
Visit site
kind of concerned with the mixed reviews as well. I think it is just showing the bias and styles of the various reviewers. I expect the following

Screen - awesome and crisp, better than the g nex is every way.
Battery - not razr maxx status but substantially better than the g nex. Expecting a full day of use dude to s4 efficiency and lack of 4G LTE
CPU / Speed - the ram and cpu are top notch but I am concerned that google did not optimize them properly. the optimus g with nearly identical specs is benchmarking WAY better. It seems practical use is not affected in the reviews.

Benchmarks don't mean **** I can tweak that and make my N1 outperform anything.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Aren't these test units not the final products anyway? I read on one review that the software wasn't final, I imagine you may see battery issues and/or software issues with these test units. Engadget's thing about poor CPU performance pretty much convinces me of this, this phone should perform as well as or better than the Optimus G considering they have the same internals.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Topolsky has been a big android guy since ICS and the Galaxy Nexus. He has pretty much said that android is the new webos in his eyes and if the android had more applications and the nexus 4 had lte he could move to android only.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Androids play store has just as many apps now as apple. Roughly 700,000 each

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Benchmarks don't mean **** I can tweak that and make my N1 outperform anything.

The nexus has the same CPU as the Optimus G, but it scores lower on the benchmarks, which I was excepting it to score better than the Optimus G since it has no bloat ware and the newest version of JB. The Optimus G has carrier bloat ware, and is still running ICS.

Ziptied

Your Resident Googler
May 26, 2010
Visit site
The nexus has the same CPU as the Optimus G, but it scores lower on the benchmarks, which I was excepting it to score better than the Optimus G since it has no bloat ware and the newest version of JB. The Optimus G has carrier bloat ware, and is still running ICS.

And? none of that has anything to do with a "benchmark"

Winterfang

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm new here, what's a benchmark? I know that people post graphs with the Optimus G, skyrocketing over the competition but I don't know in what exactly what it means.

diskoman69

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

Exactly, the Nexus has JB, which uses the GPU far more running the OS, particularly the UI. As it's using more CPU & GPU to keep the OS snappy you can expect it to benchmark slightly lower. It should make no difference at all in real-world performance.

bdavis89

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I noticed this too. Now I'm going "wtf, do I want the phone still or not?" I'm inclined to think the final software will improve performance.

Anyone else notice how HORRID the Photosphere is looking in these review photos? I will say that my wife's panorama mode on the iPhone is awesome! Hopefully Photosphere will improve with time.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I noticed this too. Now I'm going "wtf, do I want the phone still or not?" I'm inclined to think the final software will improve performance.

Anyone else notice how HORRID the Photosphere is looking in these review photos? I will say that my wife's panorama mode on the iPhone is awesome! Hopefully Photosphere will improve with time.

Android has had panorama mode for a while now, photosphere is something different and new.

So far I haven't seen too many bad reviews, but I haven't read Engadget, just the Verge. I think his review was pretty good. He wasn't rly bashing the thing for cracking, simply saying it happened. At least thats what I take from it.

His review basically said, this phone is amazing if you can live with the drawbacks that we have already known about for the last few days.

Battery life is something these ppl shouldn't even be talking about, it'll likely get better over time. Normally when you first get a device you are on it 24 hours stress testing it to death, especially if you need to write a review on it. It's not telling of what an everyday normal users experience will and should be.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam