N4 has bad CPU benchmark results because of Chrome

sidamos

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
The N4 is losing in browser benchmarks in the reviews despite the fast CPU.

I think, this is because of Chrome. Chrome is slower than the standard Android browser on my GNex in those benchmarks.

So I wonder, why Google forces the use of Chrome on the N4. Why not make this an option, like on the GNex with Jelly Bean?

Or why don't they optimize Chrome for the phone CPUs (that have for example less cache)?

odd1ne

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Companies will always use there software as the number one option why Microsoft got into trouble a few years ago. An iPhone isn't going to come with opera as its main browser they will always use safari same with Microsoft they will always use internet explore its Just the way it is.

Anyway I think Chrome is the fastest browser on my nexus 7 anyway.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Android Central Forums

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I liked Chrome on my phone but I use Firefox because of AdBlock Plus and no other reason. Are there ads on the page I have loaded right now? I wouldn't know.

I could care less about how fast it renders anything compared to other browsers, I want to save myself the headache of looking at ads.

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I liked Chrome on my phone but I use Firefox because of AdBlock Plus and no other reason. Are there ads on the page I have loaded right now? I wouldn't know.

I could care less about how fast it renders anything compared to other browsers, I want to save myself the headache of looking at ads.

Did I mention that I don't own an iPad or iPhone and don't plan on purchasing either? There are computers out there, even now, that are much faster than the one I'm typing this post on. All things considered, I'll be sticking with my MacPro with Radeon HD 5870 for now with Windows 7 Pro on a Bootcamp partition and I'll be sticking it out with Android for my mobile devices for my foreseeable future and plan on purchasing a 16GB Nexus 4 as soon as I possibly can.

The OS, hardware specs and price of the Nexus 4 impress me more than the same aspects of the iPhone 5. I'm simply not going to go iOS for my phone or portable devices and Anandtech might as well have thrown in the specs for a Cray Supercomputer Portable Phone.

Hey, I just did a search for an Unlocked iPhone 5 on eBay... I'm seeing BuyItNow prices hovering around $1,000. No thanks. It has LTE, though...

mazzmoney95

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I have to try out Firefox on my Nexus 7. I've just used chrome on it. I KNOW chrome is pretty bad as of now, but I just love the syncing it has to my Desktop and Phone. Makes life less painful even though the browser is annoying.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
benchmarks are stupid... i like chrome and is better than stock.

stock and chrome are made by Google. why pour in resource for stock if chrome can do the job.
Google is trying to unify the experience and cut down all redudency

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Or the Optimus G has faster benchmarks because they use "creative" ways of mounting filesystems and pre-caching, and have since the Optimus 3D.

One of the two ;)

Edit: the not-so-subtle version -- they do things to make file I/O faster and get higher benchmark scores. These tweaks actually degrade performance, but the numbers are pretty.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
benchmarks are stupid... i like chrome and is better than stock.

stock and chrome are made by Google. why pour in resource for stock if chrome can do the job.
Google is trying to unify the experience and cut down all redudency

I guess they are stupid because the nexus 4 performances so poorly, but if it was at the top of the list some people would be bragging about them.

sidamos

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
AW: N4 has bad CPU benchmark results because of Chrome

Yep. Google claims, the N4 is the fastest smartphone on the planet and then they accept that it will lose in the browser benchmarks because of Chrome. That is stupid.

And even if they will update the software soon, the damage is already done.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Or the Optimus G has faster benchmarks because they use "creative" ways of mounting filesystems and pre-caching, and have since the Optimus 3D.

One of the two ;)

Edit: the not-so-subtle version -- they do things to make file I/O faster and get higher benchmark scores. These tweaks actually degrade performance, but the numbers are pretty.

CNET UK has confirmed it is amazing on performance. They stayed its only competition is the the Note 2.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
ANANDTECH did the follow
Time for Java in ms.
Browsermark
Google Octane
Mozilla - Execution time
MTexels
MTriangles
Frames per seciond
Battery life through an Idle.
I am not the biggest computer wiz so i don't understand all the tests they did, but i believe some are pretty self explanatory.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I guess they are stupid because the nexus 4 performances so poorly, but if it was at the top of the list some people would be bragging about them.

even if it was at the top its stupid!!! if someone cared about benchmark you would see me create a thread like this!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty