Where to by Nexus 4 (not at Play Store) in USA?

StevenX

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering if the Nexus 4 is going to be available in stores in the USA, unlocked. I'm thinking of replacing my Galaxy S2 with the Nexus even though my contract has a few months left and then going to pre-paid. The phone's going to be ?279 in the UK via the Play store, but $349 in the US Play Store (16 GB), which works back to about ?230 including tax.

I'll be visiting the US from November 22nd, so if I could go buy a 16 GB Nexus at a store for $349, I'd wait to do that rather than buy it from the UK Play Store. Is it likely to be available at that price off-contract in stores in the US, or is it only available direct from Google through the Play Store? What was the setup with the Galaxy Nexus?

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
With the Galaxy Nexus, if you want carrier branded, you can pick one up in a brick and mortar store. You want unlocked, have to go through the play store. While you are here try getting a local prepaid sim card, set your region to US, and see if it will let you order with the US based play store...

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I think this will primarily be sold through play store BUT I have to wonder if Google will partner with Bestbuy like it did for the N1 to get it out in front of more people. Some say this will drive price of device up and thats why the Nexus 7 is not currently in any Best buy stores. But that doesnt quite explain why the Nexus 7 is sold at Staples, Game stop, etc at the same price as play store....

Only time will tell my friend but expect intially for it to only be available through play store and Tmo

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering if the Nexus 4 is going to be available in stores in the USA, unlocked. I'm thinking of replacing my Galaxy S2 with the Nexus even though my contract has a few months left and then going to pre-paid. The phone's going to be ?279 in the UK via the Play store, but $349 in the US Play Store (16 GB), which works back to about ?230 including tax.

I'll be visiting the US from November 22nd, so if I could go buy a 16 GB Nexus at a store for $349, I'd wait to do that rather than buy it from the UK Play Store. Is it likely to be available at that price off-contract in stores in the US, or is it only available direct from Google through the Play Store? What was the setup with the Galaxy Nexus?

Best Buy might sell it unlocked, but it might cost more than $349.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
If you buy it in a T-mo store, it will be locked to the T-mo network. Unlocked will have to be purchased from the Play store... Don't think for a second that one bought at a T-mo store will work anywhere else unless you get the sim unlock code from T-mo.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If you buy it in a T-mo store, it will be locked to the T-mo network. Unlocked will have to be purchased from the Play store... Don't think for a second that one bought at a T-mo store will work anywhere else unless you get the sim unlock code from T-mo.

Wanna bet?

I mean I could be wrong but I highly doubt it. They look to be selling the exact version of the one on the play store and selling it for $150 more PLUS the ability to lock people into 2 year contracts. They don't care if they sell it to you locked or not.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

All indications and knowledge point to the fact that the T-Mobile ones will be unlocked, unbranded and with no T-Mobile apps on-board.

diverbelow

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site

What you could do while in the U.S., is buy the N4 as a gift (similar what you can do with a N7) for someone, so it is not tied to your Google account. Just don't know how long it will ship.