Possible stock Android phones on Verizon/AT&T?

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Jerry kinda alluded to this in the podcast but I realize that with Google owning Motorola, it may be even more possible.

I wonder if all the Moto phones will essentially be stock Android phones (not Nexus named though). That would basically be the same as a Nexus but with LTE and on Moto/Verizon. They could do that with AT&T too. It would be a way for Google to give people stock android, updates, and LTE but without messing up AOSP-like stuff.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It hasnt been the case because the deal just became final. Nothing Moto hasn't put out anything influenced by Google yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Ziptied

Your Resident Googler
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Google doesn't meddle with Motorola, and I doubt they ever will, blur is pretty close to stock in its current form though.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Pinging Jerry to this thread. But folks keep assuming that just because Google owns Motorola, Moto MUST go stock everything, despite that GOOG says it'll be (relative) business as usual in Chicago. For now, I'm inclined to agree.

I'm gonna write more in my column tomorrow, I think.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Pinging Jerry to this thread. But folks keep assuming that just because Google owns Motorola, Moto MUST go stock everything, despite that GOOG says it'll be (relative) business as usual in Chicago. For now, I'm inclined to agree.

I'm gonna write more in my column tomorrow, I think.

good stuff. My point is, Moto can DIFFERENTIATE by being the only manufacturer to have STOCK Android too, so it'd be a bonus for them.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Jerry kinda alluded to this in the podcast but I realize that with Google owning Motorola, it may be even more possible.

I wonder if all the Moto phones will essentially be stock Android phones (not Nexus named though). That would basically be the same as a Nexus but with LTE and on Moto/Verizon. They could do that with AT&T too. It would be a way for Google to give people stock android, updates, and LTE but without messing up AOSP-like stuff.

I think your idea is 100% right. But I don't think that's how things will ever happen.

IMO Google should use Motorola to build great stock-Android phones for carriers. Give folks who don't want to change carriers a rock-solid device that gets the latest version of Android near the end of it's initial "beta-testing" cycle with Nexus/AOSP phones. 4.2 comes out, OTA all these Moto stock psuedo-nexus-phones to 4.1.2. When 4.3 comes out, jack them to 4.2.XX. Consistent, and without introducing the bugs that inevitably come from using the latest point releases.

Wouldn't that be kickass? Everyone from the nerds who participate in online forums like AC, to the people who just want a phone that plays angry birds would then have exactly what they want from the carrier they use. But it will never happen :( The minute Google has any serious input into its division that creates devices to access the Internet that it basically controls, governments and competitors start to call lawyers and judges. Motorola will continue to be Motorola, and frankly I think that's sad. RAZR HD MAXX with stock Jelly Bean and LTE would be the Internet's sweetheart.

I do think that we'll see a resurgence of Google Experience Devices though. There's nothing preventing LG and the carriers to get together and make a LG Optimus 4 that is everything the Nexus 4 is without the Nexus name. No need to put it into the AOSP, no need to fight over distribution licensing, just stock, quickly updated Android phones for the carriers. It worked for the Motorola Droid, and it would work even better for this. Give it 32GB of storage and an LTE radio, and Verizon could justify selling it for $199 on a two-year contract or $600 outright.

And people might just line up to buy it.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
good stuff. My point is, Moto can DIFFERENTIATE by being the only manufacturer to have STOCK Android too, so it'd be a bonus for them.

Idk if they will or not tbh. But it'll have the same problem with updates that the Nexus has on most carriers. So stock might not be the way to go.

I do sorta think we might be seeing influences already from Google, like their last event where Rubin was first on stage to announce the new Razr line. I also am thinking the $100 incentive if your phone isn't upgraded might have been Google's idea. If not their idea it might have been sorta influenced in Moto by who their true bosses are.

I mean, time will tell on this one. But I've always liked Moto phones and their new crop looks rly rly impressive. I'd love to see them branch out a bit more on other carriers.

Isaac Davis1

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I know that Google is going to release a stock android phone, they simply have to. The notion that Google would just own a company and then not do anything with it but use its patents but then keep all its mobile staff on board is insane. They have to be doing something bonkers or else Google would have dropped all of their employees at the door because its not like they are making amazing profits or anything. This is me hoping that the x phone is a real thing and that they make any of them that I can actually get one and not have to stare at a Google play page every and see the words SOLD OUT.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I think the problem with this idea is with Verizon. As far as I'm concerned, they have proven to us with the Galaxy Nexus that they have no interest in providing a pure Google device.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I think google will in fact use moto as their equivalent to what apple already has. It's inevitable. From some article I read, there's still another year window in seeing what google is going to come out with via moto. But, they have already made a slight impact in what you are seeing in the newest razr phones, with it being paired down with less bloatware and more android simplicity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12