Petition for MicroSD slot in Nexus devices

Ziptied

Your Resident Googler
May 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm still on the fence with the whole thing because I really want timely updates without all the rooting. I may wait to see what people are saying once the phone is released. I'm not considering an S3....I'm thinking more like the HTC DNA (or whatever they call it lol) or a Note2. One thing is for certain, being on here and reading peoples thoughts and comments helped me make a good decision with my current Galaxy Nexus.

The only way to get timely updates with android is a nexus without rooting, with rooting you get what you want tailored to what you need and desire in a device. If an SD card is that important phones don't get any better than the GS3 IMO, and samsung has actually gotten rather good with updates in the last year.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Buy a GS3 and root away. No one is stopping you.

But rooting and roming still isn't the same as a pure nexus device. Pre release roms still have their share of issues which make it a hassle for people who don't want to be tweaking their os all the time in order to get what they want from the latest version of Android. There were very few roms available for the S3 that were super solid. And now Samsung is sending out their updates, so it's not really needed.

I think if the manufacturers just got on things a bit faster we would all be happier. And Samsung seems to be doing this.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
It's unavailable to the consumer. I understand what you're getting at, but 8 is still..."do-able" and 16 is certainly usable, and while it would be great to have more, it's not a problem if you can be responsible, or are one of the people who naturally don't use much storage. This is what Google chose. You can take it for what it is, find something else, or wait.

I have around 32gb (usable). All my new music I put on my phone to listen to; if I like it, I'll keep it; if I don't, I'll delete it. I'm very slow with actually getting to listening to them, so I have at least 1,500 songs (mostly at 320kbps; I don't like compression). I also have close to 1,000 photos and around ten videos. I still have over 8gb leftover. I'll be honest, I really only listen to (the same...) 100-150 songs regularly. My music takes up nearly all that space; I could easily cut down if I was limited to 16, and I could manage with 8 with (sorta relatively) no problem. I don't have unlimited data, but I have enough that I could stream occasionally without worrying. My cycle ends in a week; I've only used up 391mb, and I'm not even trying to limit myself. It really just depends on your data limits, the availability of WiFi, and your own sentiments toward what you feel like you "need," and what you could come towards a compromise to do without.

I could probably survive with 16gb but 32 is really what we need. The fact that Google dropped the 8gb option on the Nexus 7 proves that the 8gb version is really only being added to get the price down to the under $300 number. And I'm fine with it. Just offer a 32GB option as well. And I bet we will see this happen before Christmas. I bet a Google rep is reading this forum right now and bringing back all this input to the smart folks at Mountain view right now. Lol.

Sweet Pikake

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Because the Optimus G isnt going to get updates first like the Nexus line and it dont have pure Android and no bloatware. If it were say a Nexus cousin in those regards,...meaning it would get them soon after the Nexus devices, and if it were unlocked for $349 ,i would get one because that phone isnt a T-Mobile choice.

My reasons for wanting a Nexus may not be the same as yours. I just want more memory with it. If they give it to me in a 32GB drive , then great. Otherwise a SD slot would be great too and would keep their cost down more by not having 32GB in the phone...though a 32GB memory card is peanuts nowadays to put in it.

If all your wishes came by, Google would not be selling it for $349.99. Would be like $600.00 or more. So, take your pick and 4 lines for one person, that borders outrageous. Since funds seems to be not a problem for you, just buy the Optimus G and there must be some developer out there who has already hack the device. I wish you luck in finding a NEXUS with SD slot.

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I want my entire music collection and a "few" movies to watch. = impossible

I want my favorite movie(s), and the albums I listen to the most. = possible

I want to keep every game I have, even if I've hardly played it lately. = impossible

I want to keep every game that I'm currently playing. = possible

Smartphones just aren't the powerhouse multimedia devices you believe them to be yet. It would at least be smart to start with the things that are possible, because you most likely would (or should) have extra space that you could fill to your heart's desire after. But the impossibilities leave very little room, if any, to other options; possibly, even to itself. This isn't a terabyte you're handling, and you shouldn't be treating it like a computer, or external hard drive, that has a similar capacity to that.

Not everyone has a monster amount of music on their phone. Seems many of the kids do that. I have about 1250 songs which is about 6 GB. That isnt a lot and i could add more but 6GB shouldnt cripple your memory card. I also only have 4 movies on there but with Apps, those movies and Apps,(which i have around 80) im looking at about 13 GB...not including photos. So i could probably get by with a 16GB phone if a cut back something but i dont like to be so close to full. My GS3 internal memory is 16 but only 12.2 of that is usable for me. Even if i get 13GB of usuable space with the Nexus...im full at 13.

My point is, i dont fill it up with nonsence and am pretty much at capacity already. Thee is NO reason why 32GB should be a standard now. with 16GB being the starting point. Memory is dirt cheap now. I can get a 64GB MicroSD card for under $50. This is all im saying. Apple overcharges for their bigger memory phones(twice as much as Android phones do) but at least they offer them.

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
It's about as relevant as you asking Google for an microSD slot on a Nexus device.

My question to you: Why do you think Google won't utilize an microSD slot? You communicated you were unsatisfied with Google's reasoning, but I'm beginning to suspect you don't have any idea why they won't use this technology. If you did, you would not have started this petition, and you would not be arguing so adamantly against other Android Central members.
What do you mean i dont know their reason? Ive stated it a couple times that it is a weak reason. They said it was confusing to customers and i disagree and think that is weak. And id be fine without a microSD slot if they gave us a choice of 32GB at least. Not just up to 16GB.

Different strokes for different folks (an expression you may not be familiar with, all things considered). It was comical when you scoffed at one member who suggested the Nexus 4 was not for you, and you rebuked said member declaring you will buy whatever you want. I say this because you seem to be interested in specific feature lists, and as far as we can tell, the Galaxy S3 fulfills what you're looking for.

That said member scoffed at me first and has bad people skills and has continued to be a douche to others. Says he works for Google but im pretty sure with his attitude he works in the cafeteria....or not, but im pretty sure he isnt their PR guy.

So my second question to you: Why do you want the LG Nexus 4? An unlocked GS3 is every bit as good, and depending on your provider, offers LTE (I imagine someone like you also prefers a removable battery, though that's just my assumption).

Ive already explained that on page 4. And my GS3 isnt unlocked and dont need it to be since it is already on T-Mobile so LTE i dont care about.

As far as removable battery...that is a plus and i say that because though i DO think my GS3 battery is good, if i want to change the stock 2100mAh battery to a 2900 or a 3000 mAh to be more exteme with the phone and have it go much longer, i can get those on ebay without needing to get a bigger back cover.
Now so far with the N4 not getting great battery marks, that is something i probably would do if i could. So yeah, it would be sweet but not a deal breaker. Id rather have 32GB of space but if the battery does turn out to be crap, i wont get one. Im going to wait for the final OS to be realeased and the reviews of the battery at that point.

I dont think im unreasonable at all. I love the discussion actually but with todays standards they should offer a 8,16 AND 32 GB option.

Last edited:

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
:) That's exactly what I was trying to get at. You (not you personally, the universal you) can't get everything you want for that price tag. You can pay more, not get updates in as timely a fashion, and have SD card storage, or pay less, get the updates and not have it (I'm sure there are choices in between). Some adjustments have to be made for the value, and at the end of the day, any purchase comes down to a value proposition.

If it had 32GB of memory, id pay $399. My GS3 off contract had a price of $549 on AT&T and $629 on T-Mobile so it still would be much cheaper. Now if they are planning to have a 32GB version a few months later like they did with the Nexus 7, then ill wait til then..especially if it is going to be the same price as the 16GB is now....like they did with the N7.

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
You have a phone with an SD card in it already? If that is the case.

You are a TROLL clear and simple, you like the sound of your own voice, you are a grandstander hiding behind your petition.

So did my Galaxy S Vibrant. Should i just of kept that as well? :confused: Surely nobody EVER has more than one phone or thinks about selling their current one when they get another
doh.gif

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
What do you mean i dont know their reason? Ive stated it a couple times that it is a weak reason. They said it was confusing to customers and i disagree and think that is weak. And id be fine without a microSD slot if they gave us a choice of 32GB at least. Not just up to 16GB.

You know, four door sedans have more room than two-seat roadsters, and are more versatile than two-seat roadsters, but that doesn't mean a two-seat roadster is a bad thing.

That said member scoffed at me first and has bad people skills and has continued to be a douche to others. Says he works for Google but im pretty sure with his attitude he works in the cafeteria....or not, but im pretty sure he isnt their PR guy.

Ive already explained that on page 4. And my GS3 isnt unlocked and dont need it to be since it is already on T-Mobile so LTE i dont care about.

As far as removable battery...that is a plus and i say that because though i DO think my GS3 battery is good, if i want to change the stock 2100mAh battery to a 2900 or a 3000 mAh to be more exteme with the phone and have it go much longer, i can get those on ebay without needing to get a bigger back cover.
Now so far with the N4 not getting great battery marks, that is something i probably would do if i could. So yeah, it would be sweet but not a deal breaker. Id rather have 32GB of space but if the battery does turn out to be crap, i wont get one. Im going to wait for the final OS to be realeased and the reviews of the battery at that point.

I dont think im unreasonable at all. I love the discussion actually but with todays standards they should offer a 8,16 AND 32 GB option.

Preach it brother. I agree whole heartedly.

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
If all your wishes came by, Google would not be selling it for $349.99. Would be like $600.00 or more.

So with just 32GB of memory, that would cost me $600? Thats really the only big issue i have with it. Not enough memory.

So, take your pick and 4 lines for one person, that borders outrageous.

Huh? Its called a family plan. I dont have 4 lines just for me.
Since funds seems to be not a problem for you, just buy the Optimus G and there must be some developer out there who has already hack the device. I wish you luck in finding a NEXUS with SD slot.

Dude i could hack my GS3 if i wanted to. Thats not the point.

mth785

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Why not just get the Optimus G since it is basically the same phone but has the one thing you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
... That said member scoffed at me first and has bad people skills and has continued to be a douche to others. Says he works for Google but im pretty sure with his attitude he works in the cafeteria....or not, but im pretty sure he isnt their PR guy....
"Mr. Kettle? Pot calling, line 1."

Please simmer down. Attack people's ideas, but don't attack the people. If others don't follow this practice, it's not 'open season' for you to follow suit.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
You know the more I think about it and reading everyone's input...
I think sacrificing SD card slot and non-removable battery in the Nexus 4 is probably well worth it to get the pure Android experience with the most up to date android os. As much as I really like having SD slot and a removable battery I might just buy the 16GB Nexus 4 and keep my GS2 skyrocket as an alternate phone. That way I have a backup option and I could use both phones. All of the other great features on the Nexus 4 seem too good to pass up especially Android 4.2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I just hope that some real Google people (non cafeteria workers..lol) see threads like this and realize that it would be a good idea to try to work more with manufacturers to make more Nexus devices. As we all can see, different people like different features but we all (at least on here) have one thing in common...we all want a pure Android experience with timely updates. Why Google takes an Apple approach with their core fans by releasing one phone a year is beyond me. I guess the argument there is that the common person really has no idea about pure Google etc. But if more phones were created then they would....word would get out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome