Petition for MicroSD slot in Nexus devices

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

this isnt spam. I am an avid reader of this forum but mostly from using the App Pulse. I do have very limited posts in here but i am a huge Android fan and i own teh GS3 currently. I am planning on getting a Nexus 4 but like many , i am very frustrated by the lack of no MicroSD slot and them offering us limited space in them. It was suggested that i start a petition and send it to Google, so i did.
I for one LOVE having a MicroSD slot as it is where i store all my music and videos. No i do not like to stream those things as it takes a lot of data to do this and my data though called unlimited, is only unlimited to 2GB....which isnt unlimited at all and a BS thing to call it. So to keep costs down (i have 4 lines) i dont stream those things. I started this because there was an articlke that a Google quality control guy said the reason they dont have these in their Nexus line is because it was too confusing for the users which i think is a weak reason and i believe the choice to use one should be up to us.

Here is the link to the petition if you are interested. I do not have a website or a blog thought there is a blog included with this petiton. Id like to get it some looks if there are those who think it is a good idea. Hey who knows, maybe it will make it in a Android Central article.

Thanks for looking!

Petition Petition to get MicroSD slot in Nexus phones

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Why don't you ask for a pony while you're wasting time on something that you're not going to get?

BTW, Matias Duarte is a little more than "quality control guy."

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Why don't you ask for a pony while you're wasting time on something that you're not going to get?

BTW, Matias Duarte is a little more than "quality control guy."

Whatever he is. I didnt remember his name. Im not into whose who that much. I just know i want a microSD slot that the LG Optimus G has and it is basically the same phone. Either sign it or dont. I dont need a smartass comment. Doing nothing gets you....nothing! And this may not either but at least someone is trying instead of just Bit*hing.

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Google has made it clear that (and explained why) no Nexus device will ship with an additional sd slot. If you require one, Nexus is not for you. Plenty of other phones have 'em.

You call that an explanation? I call that a cop out. Weak reason for not giving it something it has in the Optimus G which is pretty much the same phone. I know the device is a cheap price for an unlocked phone but they can keep the glass back and give me more functuality.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You're right. I'm going to go start a petition that Anne Hathaway and Amanda Seyfried become my girlfriends because at least it'd be trying to do something.

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
You're right. I'm going to go start a petition that Anne Hathaway and Amanda Seyfried become my girlfriends because at least it'd be trying to do something.

Helps if you know the difference in the two but clearly you dont. Clearly you are a complainer and not a do'er. Good luck with that. I see you aim low when it comes to women too.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to assume you are on T-Mobile since you mention 4 lines, If thats the case then you do indeed have unlimited data.

But this petition is terrible and SD cards imo are a thing of the past, I would much rather have one storage area. I'm completely with Google on this one. If you wanted a petition that might have some tiny impact on Google you would have simply asked for more storage space than 16GB.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
me too, I personally like a single drive more. As of right now, my EVO lte has 3 different storage spaces , 2 gigs for app, 14 gig phone storage and 32 my sd card. I would much rather have a single 32 gig storage space. I hate the fact that I can't pin my Google Music onto my sd card since it's much larger than my phone storage.

I'm going to assume you are on T-Mobile since you mention 4 lines, If thats the case then you do indeed have unlimited data.

But this petition is terrible and SD cards imo are a thing of the past, I would much rather have one storage area. I'm completely with Google on this one. If you wanted a petition that might have some tiny impact on Google you would have simply asked for more storage space than 16GB.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I hate to say it bro but Google has explained why there is no sd card and it isnt a cop out just because you don't like it
Why Nexus devices have no SD card | Android Central
A petition isn't going to do much. But remember that in Android we have options so if you want a sd card, you have plenty of options. For example the sg3 which you have is a GREAT choice for you. Not trying to be rude just telling you like it is.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
me too, I personally like a single drive more. As of right now, my EVO lte has 3 different storage spaces , 2 gigs for app, 14 gig phone storage and 32 my sd card. I would much rather have a single 32 gig storage space. I hate the fact that I can't pin my Google Music onto my sd card since it's much larger than my phone storage.

Exactly....and I think a petition for increased storage could possibly do some good if enough ppl sign it. My thoughts are they went 8/16 because it was the cheapest and they could profit the most from it....If they find out ppl are willing to pay a little more for a 32 option they might change their tune.

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site

I guess somebody keeps forgetting to tell the phone makers since many of them still make them in their phones. So id say they arent a thing of the past. Just not every device has them but they sure are better to have IMO. But then im not confused by having a seperate drive other than in one spot. Still pretty simple to use. There are many that dont agree with Google and Duarte's explanation was pure weak sauce. There is nothing wrong with choice. Thats Googles MO after all.

But your right, it would probably be beter to ask simply for more internal space. 8GB is laughable. It should START with 16GB with a 32GB option. Not everyone likes to stream. And i do have T-Mobile but right now, my data is unlimited up to 2GB. I have to cal to see how i can get total unlimted. Im thinking there is a catch but i dont know that yet. I just got the email on it the other day.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I actually think Google knows we want a 32 gig phone, they just choose not to make one.
Exactly....and I think a petition for increased storage could possibly do some good if enough ppl sign it. My thoughts are they went 8/16 because it was the cheapest and they could profit the most from it....If they find out ppl are willing to pay a little more for a 32 option they might change their tune.

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site

They arent charging more for the 32GB Nexus 7. They simply lowered the price of the 16GB device.

Winterfang

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm doing a petition for Shakira to be my wife. If enough people sign she will have no choice but to succumb to the world pressure.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I guess somebody keeps forgetting to tell the phone makers since many of them still make them in their phones. So id say they arent a thing of the past. Just not every device has them but they sure are better to have IMO. But then im not confused by having a seperate drive other than in one spot. Still pretty simple to use. There are many that dont agree with Google and Duarte's explanation was pure weak sauce. There is nothing wrong with choice. Thats Googles MO after all.

But your right, it would probably be beter to ask simply for more internal space. 8GB is laughable. It should START with 16GB with a 32GB option. Not everyone likes to stream. And i do have T-Mobile but right now, my data is unlimited up to 2GB. I have to cal to see how i can get total unlimted. Im thinking there is a catch but i dont know that yet. I just got the email on it the other day.

Actually you should have unlimited 4G till 2GB, then you get knocked to their Edge part of the network. It's an extra $10 a month for truly unlimited 4G, what I'm currently on and debating whether I should drop down to 2GB unl or not. I have net at work and home so I think 2GB should be plenty for me, but I'd hate to need it later and find prices raised or worse its completely gone. So I might keep it. Anyway, I know you didn't ask my situation but that was my little mini rant ish thing anyway.

The thing with SD cards is I think they are absolutely right. Most general public don't want their things separated. I get that you are a smart tech type person, I am also and I am not exactly "confused" by the SD card I just prefer not to have one because its less thought process for me without it. But ppl like my Mother for example who I talked into getting an S3.....she has no idea her phone can even take an SD card. In fact if I gave her an old phone with no internal memory she likely wouldn't even know why the phone wouldn't work properly.

I think its great these companies are including both the SD and the internal. But idk it'll always be like that in the future. We'll see.

I actually think Google knows we want a 32 gig phone, they just choose not to make one.

I'm sure they know, but whether they know we would be willing to pay more money for it or not is another question. Granted I would buy the $349 version even if there was another but I understand 32GB would be much more effective for those who put games etc on their device. So I do think that should have been an option.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
They arent charging more for the 32GB Nexus 7. They simply lowered the price of the 16GB device.

You're right but we don't rly know the profit margin differences between the 2. There could have been more wiggle room on the N7 to drop price. Memory is cheap, but there sure is a lot of fancy nice things in this phone.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Just give up and embrace life, maybe they are pushing for a new more efficient way of technology so we can move away from square wheels to circle wheels

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I'll bet Google has a python script to handle these
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env python
import glob
import os
directory='/bin/silly'
os.chdir(directory)