Petition for MicroSD slot in Nexus devices

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Team Jacob all the way, I think you need not be so bent over someone's opinion of your opinion. But sure OP, petition away, it won't work but how you spend your time is your business.

If you have a different view than someone else just explain why in your reply and move on .... quit trying to pick fights and bait....in other words..GROW UP.

Ziptied

Your Resident Googler
May 26, 2010
Visit site
If you have a different view than someone else just explain why in your reply and move on .... quit trying to pick fights and bait....in other words..GROW UP.

You keep throwing this "grow up" phrase around, it's kinda funny, but i'll entertain you. I re-edited my post just for you again cupcake.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
You call that an explanation? I call that a cop out. Weak reason for not giving it something it has in the Optimus G which is pretty much the same phone. I know the device is a cheap price for an unlocked phone but they can keep the glass back and give me more functuality.
Question: then why aren't you getting the Optimus G? I actually favor the idea of a card slot, but I will never get this - why bash ("cop out") a device because of lack of functionality (and I will grant you that the lack of an SD card slot IS lack of functionality) when you already know a similar device that does offer that functionality?

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Ah, thats a better explanation of emc's comment but one thing....the OP, which is me did not make that statement about the hurricane.

I said OP to this as in the very first person who posted the comment about Sandy that got the replies. I know you didn't say it.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Google won't do it because it under minds their clouds services. And in case you didn't know this, Android only exists so the Google can get more ppl on their services and so they can collect ad data on you every day. So the next time you use your browser, smile, Google is watching :D

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Wow, that's literally one of the most short-sided opinions I've read on here concerning the lack of LTE and a stupid sd card.

You see no SD card because it's not secure, you don't see a mediocre camera, its the same as the one x, you don't see a mediocre battery because it works better than most things out right now, no LTE is the carriers faults not Googles, a non removable battery was an odd choice, but one that most are going to nowadays. Google doesn't give a you know what about the makers other devices, they get what they want made by who they choose to make it.

edited so not to hurt Fish's feelings.

edited again as to make Fish feel warm and fuzzy and explain things that have already been explained.

Security has nothing to do with why there is no SD card.....its cost and because they want people using cloud. Some people find this option appealing....so who cares, its their opinion. As far as everything else, I'll wait until the phone actually comes out to see for myself. When the GN came out, some people said it had a great battery...some didn't.....some people said it had a great camera...some didn't. I'm not going to rely on a few "hands-on" at the moment. Again, quit baiting and trolling.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Quite a few people need to grow up here.

Quit bickering and stay on topic.

Anybody can start a petition, but arguing it's merits over and over again does nothing. Furthermore, I stand by my comment above. This REALLY needs to get popular to get the attention of the manufacturers.

How soon we forget. Next step will be more formal.

And yes, SD cards are a security risk because it requires support for the FAT32 file system. Which is a security nightmare. It also requires licensing fees to be paid to Microsoft since they own that file system.

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying that SD cards aren't a security risk. I just don't think that security risk was the deciding factor.....I think it was a cost issue and the fact that they want people using cloud services.

Ziptied

Your Resident Googler
May 26, 2010
Visit site
It's both and im sure more reasons, I know that security is a VERY big deal especially nowadays and I'd put my money on that's why they were gone in the first place.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
How soon we forget. Next step will be more formal.

And yes, SD cards are a security risk because it requires support for the FAT32 file system. Which is a security nightmare. It also requires licensing fees to be paid to Microsoft since they own that file system.

Actully SD Card don't require any file system, FAT32 is simply most common system because Windows can't handle other file systems then without hacks and as Windows dominate desktop it become standard for portable flash memory, but you can format them in any system you like. Bah as i read Android already mouting ext4 formated sd cards.... it should have as it's running in Linux kernel and use ext4 as root partition. There one down side of this, if phone direcly links card a mass storage Windows won't read it, but if you Linux user you should not have problem to use ext4 formated sd card.

Samsung working on new file system specialized to work effectivly on flash memoery called F2FS (Flash Friendly File System) for use in Android

F2FS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chances for it to dominate is not big to be used in SD Cards, but who knows what may happen.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Actully SD Card don't require any file system, FAT32 is simply most common system because Windows can't handle other file systems then without hacks and as Windows dominate desktop it become standard for portable flash memory, but you can format them in any system you like. Bah as i read Android already mouting ext4 formated sd cards.... it should have as it's running in Linux kernel and use ext4 as root partition. There one down side of this, if phone direcly links card a mass storage Windows won't read it, but if you Linux user you should not have problem to use ext4 formated sd card.

Samsung working on new file system specialized to work effectivly on flash memoery called F2FS (Flash Friendly File System) for use in Android

F2FS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chances for it to dominate is not big to be used in SD Cards, but who knows what may happen.

And since all SD's (or at least 99% of them) come preformatted with FAT32 then my point does still stand. Also, Android itself doesn't support FAT32, so support for that gets hacked in to the OS to read those cards.

Don't count on that Samsung made file system ever picking up steam. :)

MunkinDrunky

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
If you need more, I'm sorry to say that you need to get a different phone or re-think you "needs" or habits. I can sit at work and stream Google Music or YouTube, all while connected to a magical wireless network called "WiFi."

SD cards make for confusing storage locations, and they truly are a thing of the past.

For some insane reason people tend to think once they get something new they're supposed to cram their entire life onto the device

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Everyone uses their phone differently. There are a lot of assumption on how people should be using their devices. There is nothing wrong with SD card storage when it is needed. Is there a loss of more simple functionality and management of memory, yes. But to some this is not as important a large amounts of removable storage. You have to start somewhere to let manufacturers know what you want. (yeah i know google is not a manufacturer) Lots of people want large amount of removable memory. And who cares why? If people speak maybe we will see some good large capacity storage solutions down the road that are secure and reliable. And obviously there will still be streaming over wifi and network.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
How it is confusing? You just have one extra directory to check, how confusing is that? I have really no idea why Google even saying something like that, in general all you just need to do is addive the directory roots, they could make special directory media if they lazy to filter sdcard directory from main root.

Even without partitions Android need to deal with directory mess, for example pictures landing in diffrent directories for each app makeing them. As in Linux (as well as any unix-like systems) partitions are transparent and visible as directories i don't see how this problem is diffrent from one that single partition Android need to deal with. For me or they are lazy or it's some PR BS :p
Because some apps just use /mnt/sdcard/ and others find /mnt/sdcard/ext_sd/ (or its link /sdcard2/) So depending upon apps, I have to look in either partition. It's a PITA.

I also accept Google's issue with differing file systems.

Nexus phones are about demonstrating the best of Android, not giving consumers all the bells and whistles they want. For the latter, there are manufacturers happy to comply, and carriers happier still to charge an arm and a leg over a 2-year contract. Pick your poison, but stop trying to tell Google that they're wrong.

"Get used to disappointment," said Dread Pirate Roberts.

Last edited:

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Because some apps just use /mnt/sdcard/ and others find /mnt/sdcard/ext_sd/ (or its link /sdcard2/) So depending upon apps, I have to look in either partition. It's a PITA.

I also accept Google's issue with differing file systems.

Nexus phones are about demonstrating the best of Android, not giving consumers all the bells and whistles they want. For the latter, there are manufacturers happy to comply, and carriers happier still to charge an arm and a leg over a 2-year contract. Pick your poison, but stop trying to tell Google that they're wrong.

"Get used to disappointment," said Dread Pirate Roberts.

Then inform app where sd card is mouted, im not saying they wrong, the problem is true.... but it's not like it's unsolvable to throw whole thing. It kind of reminds me Sony removing Other OS in PS3 without even trying to fix it just because it profitable for themas as they throws support in PS3 Slim and don't want to be concurrent to friendly IBM.

And since all SD's (or at least 99% of them) come preformatted with FAT32 then my point does still stand. Also, Android itself doesn't support FAT32, so support for that gets hacked in to the OS to read those cards.

Don't count on that Samsung made file system ever picking up steam. :)

But can be reformatted without much problem, Xbox 360 requires this process to be able to use any external 3rd party storage, so i don't see how this can be problematic for Android, specially for cards that sit there for ages.

And i don't know why you talking that Android does not support FAT32 where support of it it's part of Linux Kernel that Android uses:

Linux/fs/fat/ - Linux Cross Reference - Free Electrons
Linux/fs/fat/Kconfig - Linux Cross Reference - Free Electrons

And even double checked source of android brach of kernel and i don't see those files being thrown out... even some network file system support that you may never hear about like "9p" are still there. It's just matter of compiling it. But hey, we don't want FAT right? it so insecure! Good thing is it not required to even support FAT to format, as Windows does not require to support ext4 not only format it back to FAT or NTFS but actully see the partition :p

Personally i don't mind that Nexus 4 does not have a SD Card it's not so much pain for me, i agree that not each phone need to have it. But partitioning problem is not unsolvable, many systems deals with it, not only with partitioning but also diffrent path problem which is similar problem in case of Linux, for example in Windows when you change path of templary files suddenly all applications know what to do.... why Android can't do that? So i don't see point of forcing people to think that SD Cards are bad because Google say so, it's Google that needs to fit to customer needs not customers to Google,it's there problem if they don't customers don't like lack of SD cards.... if not then i don't know why people hate Apple so much. Thats just my opinion

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Then inform app where sd card is mouted, im not saying they wrong, the problem is true.... but it's not like it's unsolvable to throw whole thing. It kind of reminds me Sony removing Other OS in PS3 without even trying to fix it just because it profitable for themas as they throws support in PS3 Slim and don't want to be concurrent to friendly IBM.

But can be reformatted without much problem, Xbox 360 requires this process to be able to use any external 3rd party storage, so i don't see how this can be problematic for Android, specially for cards that sit there for ages.

And i don't know why you talking that Android does not support FAT32 where support of it it's part of Linux Kernel that Android uses:

Linux/fs/fat/ - Linux Cross Reference - Free Electrons
Linux/fs/fat/Kconfig - Linux Cross Reference - Free Electrons

And even double checked source of android brach of kernel and i don't see those files being thrown out... even some network file system support that you may never hear about like "9p" are still there. It's just matter of compiling it. But hey, we don't want FAT right? it so insecure! Good thing is it not required to even support FAT to format, as Windows does not require to support ext4 not only format it back to FAT or NTFS but actully see the partition :p

Personally i don't mind that Nexus 4 does not have a SD Card it's not so much pain for me, i agree that not each phone need to have it. But partitioning problem is not unsolvable, many systems deals with it, not only with partitioning but also diffrent path problem which is similar problem in case of Linux, for example in Windows when you change path of templary files suddenly all applications know what to do.... why Android can't do that? So i don't see point of forcing people to think that SD Cards are bad because Google say so, it's Google that needs to fit to customer needs not customers to Google,it's there problem if they don't customers don't like lack of SD cards.... if not then i don't know why people hate Apple so much. Thats just my opinion

Clearly people don't just hate Apple over this. The number of threads about the Nexus lacking SD card (actually, anytime a phone lacks one there are a ton of threads about it) show that people are also very unhappy with Google over the decision.

Even if you reformat the SD card it still comes with FAT32, which means Microsoft got paid the licensing fee. I also don't care that the Nexus, or any other device, doesn't have one either. As long as I have a tablet that has enough storage for the games that I like to play I won't care. A few casual games and the apps that I need/use are all that will be on my phone now. No big games with a huge download required. :)

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Question: then why aren't you getting the Optimus G? I actually favor the idea of a card slot, but I will never get this - why bash ("cop out") a device because of lack of functionality (and I will grant you that the lack of an SD card slot IS lack of functionality) when you already know a similar device that does offer that functionality?

Because the Optimus G isnt going to get updates first like the Nexus line and it dont have pure Android and no bloatware. If it were say a Nexus cousin in those regards,...meaning it would get them soon after the Nexus devices, and if it were unlocked for $349 ,i would get one because that phone isnt a T-Mobile choice.

My reasons for wanting a Nexus may not be the same as yours. I just want more memory with it. If they give it to me in a 32GB drive , then great. Otherwise a SD slot would be great too and would keep their cost down more by not having 32GB in the phone...though a 32GB memory card is peanuts nowadays to put in it.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Even if you reformat the SD card it still comes with FAT32, which means Microsoft got paid the licensing fee. I also don't care that the Nexus, or any other device, doesn't have one either. As long as I have a tablet that has enough storage for the games that I like to play I won't care. A few casual games and the apps that I need/use are all that will be on my phone now. No big games with a huge download required. :)
Thank-You someone with common sense, you don't need a million games, finish one or get bored of it delete it guys. Its not like you need to save every game you ever use in your life. That would just be terrible. I have found this works even with the smallest of memories, like on my old old phone with on 512mb and 16gb card i did it easily. Before the police come here and say thats 16.5GB in total... i had about 300mb remaining on my phone and about 14gb on my SD card. Used it for photo's only, few apps here n there.

msgnyc

May 23, 2010
Visit site
so serious question. What is it you need to have when you in the middle of a/shortly after a hurricane and there is no data connection?
When its night time and you dont really have much to do because you cant realy see much of anything around you when its pitch dark out with no lights or electricity for miles and your only source of light comes from candles and/or your phone/tablet charging off a usb port from a camping stove (greatest thing i ever bough btw lmao. Uses the heat from the fire to power/charge usb devices) it wouldve been nice to beable to listen to some of my music or watch a movie or show from the Play Movies/Music to help pass the time.

There is only so much you can store on an 8gb device when 8gb is really around 6gb of usuable storage space and single apps nowadays can be upwards to 5gb in some cases. Doesnt leave much room to play with.

Last edited: