Petition for MicroSD slot in Nexus devices

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Nicely thought out :-\ Congrats on adding nothing to the discussion but an insult.

Troll indeed.

We have a few on here like that unfortunately. Some people don't like any criticism on their phone of choice..... its pathetically funny at times.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Do people really think that Google didn't already think this through? They did, and they chose what they wanted to. That's their prerogative. Sure, you can petition them, but guess what, they've made their case for not having an SD card slot. I doubt it's going to change. Ever since the Nexus did away with the SD card slot these threads have been around, and guess what? The Nexus still doesn't have an SD card slot.

Stick around long enough and you'll see this same thread in the section for whatever the next Nexus is called next year.

Almost ready to close this thread, since it's almost been completely derailed to people "almost" attacking other people. Keep it on topic please. :)

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Do people really think that Google didn't already think this through? They did, and they chose what they wanted to. That's their prerogative. Sure, you can petition them, but guess what, they've made their case for not having an SD card slot. I doubt it's going to change. Ever since the Nexus did away with the SD card slot these threads have been around, and guess what? The Nexus still doesn't have an SD card slot.

Stick around long enough and you'll see this same thread in the section for whatever the next Nexus is called next year.

Almost ready to close this thread, since it's almost been completely derailed to people "almost" attacking other people. Keep it on topic please. :)

OK, fine. I can deal with that....as long as they give us some decent space internally. Offer a 32GB version as well. It is cheap and easy to do. 8GB is near unusable now with only about 6GB of actual space with it and a slew of apps to choose from. Google should know this since they are the ones with a Playstore full of things they would want to you to use/buy.

Thats all im asking for.....more space!

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Stick around long enough and you'll see this same thread in the section for whatever the next Nexus is called next year...

SSDY ;)

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I just hope that some real Google people (non cafeteria workers..lol) see threads like this and realize that it would be a good idea to try to work more with manufacturers to make more Nexus devices. As we all can see, different people like different features but we all (at least on here) have one thing in common...we all want a pure Android experience with timely updates. Why Google takes an Apple approach with their core fans by releasing one phone a year is beyond me. I guess the argument there is that the common person really has no idea about pure Google etc. But if more phones were created then they would....word would get out.

And yet they sold a grand total of a half-million Galaxy Nexus's over it's entire lifespan. The Galaxy SIII sold 5 million in ONE QUARTER. Apple sold 25 million iPhones last QUARTER, 5 million iPhone 5's in a single weekend!

Google has never had the slightest intention of going mainstream with their phones.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
OK, fine. I can deal with that....as long as they give us some decent space internally. Offer a 32GB version as well. It is cheap and easy to do. 8GB is near unusable now with only about 6GB of actual space with it and a slew of apps to choose from. Google should know this since they are the ones with a Playstore full of things they would want to you to use/buy.

Good point. If the affordable N4 has, as at least one of its goals, the purpose of "enabling" buying activity on Play ("the playground is open "), adequate storage for music cache, content, games, etc, would seem to be a no-brainer. 8gb was damn little in the N7, same in the N4.

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site

Rayzaa, I would just give it up man. Too many people on here think that Google walks on water and every decision that they make is correct and not to be questioned. I totally agree that an SD option would be nice and simple logic would indicate that more space should be added if one wasn't included. So wanting a 32 GB version is perfectly understandable. Google is wanting you to use their cloud, like Apple, and they only give one option a year for a pure Google phone, like Apple does with their icrap.

Ricky2009

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Rayzaa, I would just give it up man. Too many people on here think that Google walks on water and every decision that they make is correct and not to be questioned. I totally agree that an SD option would be nice and simple logic would indicate that more space should be added if one wasn't included. So wanting a 32 GB version is perfectly understandable. Google is wanting you to use their cloud, like Apple, and they only give one option a year for a pure Google phone, like Apple does with their icrap.

yep should probably just give it up... only 77 people on your petition.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
And yet they sold a grand total of a half-million Galaxy Nexus's over it's entire lifespan. The Galaxy SIII sold 5 million in ONE QUARTER. Apple sold 25 million iPhones last QUARTER, 5 million iPhone 5's in a single weekend!

Google has never had the slightest intention of going mainstream with their phones.

Actually the galaxy s III did 30 million

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) available - the galaxy S III!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

I definitely agree that a higher storage option should happen, but not via an SD card slot (or have at least accepted that it won't).

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
If it had 32GB of memory, id pay $399.
I'm sure that you would. Maybe even I would. But the fact is that that is not in the current offerings. Will they offer it in the future? I say no, but your guess is as good as mine. We have to make our decisions based on what is available at the time we're buying. If you want to wait and see before you buy, that's a perfectly good decision as well. Me, I'm getting mine on Tuesday! :)

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure that you would. Maybe even I would. But the fact is that that is not in the current offerings. Will they offer it in the future? I say no, but your guess is as good as mine. We have to make our decisions based on what is available at the time we're buying. If you want to wait and see before you buy, that's a perfectly good decision as well. Me, I'm getting mine on Tuesday! :)

Im waiting. I figure if it will have a 32GB version, we will see it by Xmas. I can wait a month and a half. And if not, ill get one then.

Prinny Mask

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

With that logic, anything you have an interest in, but show disapproval in any aspect of, should be challenged to tailor your ideal. There is objective correct and subjective correct. This is subjective as it relates to your own personal preference. Example: Does Google make correct choices regarding their product decisions? Person A: No; Person B: Yes; You can not say Person B is wrong because Person A is right, and you can not say Person A is wrong for Person B is right. Person C says, "It depends on which ones." Even if Person C dodges all the generalization, it still depends on you, your habits, your values, your environment, and your requirements. We can't question why you argue when you think you are objectively correct, and you can't question why we argue when we think we are subjectively correct. The only thing to question is your mentality of being objective.

If anything, I think it's the carriers that are really the ones hampering Nexus phones.

FishPharm

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
With that logic, anything you have an interest in, but show disapproval in any aspect of, should be challenged to tailor your ideal. There is objective correct and subjective correct. This is subjective as it relates to your own personal preference. Example: Does Google make correct choices regarding their product decisions? Person A: No; Person B: Yes; You can not say Person B is wrong because Person A is right, and you can not say Person A is wrong for Person B is right. Person C says, "It depends on which ones." Even if Person C dodges all the generalization, it still depends on you, your habits, your values, your environment, and your requirements. We can't question why you argue when you think you are objectively correct, and you can't question why we argue when we think we are subjectively correct. The only thing to question is your mentality of being objective.

If anything, I think it's the carriers that are really the ones hampering Nexus phones.

Exactly my point. But many people don't want to hear someone have a problem with a Nexus phone. There's both good things and bad things that people will find with it. I'm not sure if I agree totally on how the carriers are the ones that are hampering Nexus phones. I agree that Verizon is a royal pain but I have a feeling that many people would rather have a Nexus on Verizon that may get updates a bit later than the other Nexus phones rather than no Nexus at all. Speaking just for myself, I would rather get the update a month or two later than not have the option on Verizon at all. Google definitely has some challenges to overcome thats for sure. The biggest disappointment I have for Google is with the fact that there is only one pure Google phone. I don't care if it says Nexus on it or not, I just want an option on each carrier to have a pure Google experience and timely updates. But part of me feels that the carriers purposely do this to make people want to buy phones more frequently. If they hold the updates and your only option for an update is a new phone then they get another sale and a 2 year contract.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
... Speaking just for myself, I would rather get the update a month or two later than not have the option on Verizon at all. Google definitely has some challenges to overcome thats for sure. The biggest disappointment I have for Google is with the fact that there is only one pure Google phone. I don't care if it says Nexus on it or not, I just want an option on each carrier to have a pure Google experience and timely updates.
Keep dreaming. I think this has been no end of frustration for Google project managers, who see the Android OS maimed and Frankensteined by manufacturers with their launchers,utilities, replacements for stock apps (Email, Gallery, Contacts, Calendar), and baked in BS bloatware that carriers demand in the contract in order to buy & resell a model. The reason for the long delays isn't necessarily the new OS being compatible with hardware (for some models, it is), but that all that third party software has to be updated and tested, wihch is tragic because consumers didn't necessarily ask for that krufty BS.

I say "keep dreaming" because at the very, very least, carriers want their diagnostic software (e.g. CarrierIQ) installed to investigate QoS issues. And they want their proprietary dancing bologna like Visual Voicemail, My Account, etc. I don't think you'll ever see carriers saying, "Ok, never mind about our voice mail service, we'll just tell you how to set up Google Voice" or "You want account information? you'll have to install our apps first, we don't install that for you by default." I just don't see it happening.

And expecting Google to do the mad scientist laboratory work of making their phone work on CDMA and AT&T-LTE and VRZN-LTE and so on, is quite a fairy tale for me. That's the carriers' job to contract with Google to make a carrier-branded (read: compatible) phone for them. With HTC, Samsung, LG, Sony, Nokia, et al doing that, WHY would carriers bend over backward to work with Google and deliver a phone with less stuff on it, which most consumers (today) probably don't value.

This is the stalemate that the Nexus 4 on the Play store sabotages by selling direct to the customer. Making it so cheap (with corners cut and compromises made, naturally) is IMHO the real cherry bomb in the carriers' bathroom toilets. In this case, it's only the GSM carriers' game board they're overturning.

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Keep dreaming. I think this is has been no end of frustration for Google project managers, who see the Android OS maimed and Frankensteined by manufacturers with their launchers,utilities, replacements for stock apps (Email, Gallery, Contacts, Calendar), and baked in BS bloatware that carriers demand in the contract in order to buy & resell a model.

I say "keep dreaming" because at the very, very least, carriers want their diagnostic software (e.g. CarrierIQ) installed to investigate QoS issues. And they want their proprietary dancing bologna like Visual Voicemail, My Account, etc. I don't think you'll ever see carriers saying, "Ok, never mind about our voice mail service, we'll just tell you how to set up Google Voice" or "You want account information? you'll have to install our apps first, we don't install that for you by default." I just don't see it happening.

And expecting Google to do the mad scientist laboratory work of making their phone work on CDMA and AT&T-LTE and VRZN-LTE and so on, is quite a fairy tale for me. That's the carriers' job to contract with Google to make a carrier-branded (read: compatible) phone for them. With HTC, Samsung, LG, Sony, Nokia, et al doing that, WHY would carriers bend over backward to work with Google and deliver a phone with less stuff on it, which most consumers (today) probably don't value.

This is the stalemate that the Nexus 4 on the Play store sabotages by selling direct to the customer. Making it so cheap (with corners cut and compromises made, naturally) is IMHO the real cherry bomb in the carriers' bathroom toilets. In this case, it's only the GSM carriers' game board they're overturning.

I'm quoting this just so it's here twice in a row.

I have no idea if this is all the truth. But I do know that the things I see and hear every day make me believe it's so. Google's not trying to compete with the Optimus G (for example) by making the Nexus 4. They are offering a lean alternative.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze