Want the Nexus 4 on Verizon?

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
To show that Verizon is a closed system, their FiOS Android app still doesn't work on 4.2 and my suspicion is that they don't care since none of their devices run it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

That Verizon is a different company.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
You realize the Nexus 4 isn't a CDMA device, right? It couldn't run on the Verizon network even if Verizon invited it too.

Good grief.

If you do, send Verizon a message. We need to inform them that we're unhappy that they have to approve updates to all phones, even if it's a nexus. They shouldn't have had that power to begin with, and now with 4G, they're legally not supposed to. When I emailed them, I said that they should give Google a little leeway one ONE phone considering they make Android, which in turn makes all their money. Make sure to mention that you'll be considering taking your business elsewhere if they don't come to an agreement by whatever date your phone's contract is up. Finally, mention the Iphone's story. AT&T was the only carrier that would allow the Iphone to be sold Apple's way, and looked how that turned out. Millions buy that phone on opening day. Verizon could help do that for the Nexus devices. Be polite, but let Verizon know that they are alienating customers.

We can do this. Every email counts.

Link for emailing them:
https://wbillpay.verizonwireless.com/vzw/secure/contactus/email.action

Thanks.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes, because they planned one out... They didn't release the Galaxy Nexus then decide to go back and figure out a CDMA version for Verizon out of thin air...

They wouldn't have to with the nexus 4 because its baseband already supports CDMA and EVDO.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
They wouldn't have to with the nexus 4 because its baseband already supports CDMA and EVDO.

Not quite sure how this is even worth discussing how far this is from ever happening. No, kids, just no.

"If you want a Sprint or Verizon version, you need a CDMA radio. Qualcomm does make "all-in-one" radio chips that work on pretty much every network out there, but as I said, these are probably significantly more expensive than the 3G-only models. You'd then need different software versions for each carrier's radio configuration, too. That means more work to support the hardware post-sale." Why Doesn't The Nexus 4 Have LTE? Here's Google's Explanation, And Why It Sort Of Makes Sense

/discussion

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Not quite sure how this is even worth discussing how far this is from ever happening. No, kids, just no.

"If you want a Sprint or Verizon version, you need a CDMA radio. Qualcomm does make "all-in-one" radio chips that work on pretty much every network out there, but as I said, these are probably significantly more expensive than the 3G-only models. You'd then need different software versions for each carrier's radio configuration, too. That means more work to support the hardware post-sale." Why Doesn't The Nexus 4 Have LTE? Here's Google's Explanation, And Why It Sort Of Makes Sense

/discussion

The chip the nexus 4 uses has CDMA and evdo included. Just like it has LTE. The software is not there to support it. If google wanted to produce a CDMA version for Verizon or sprint, it would take little effort.

That all in one chip that they're talking about is the one that is present in the nexus 4 and every S4-based phone.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
The chip the nexus 4 uses has CDMA and evdo included. Just like it has LTE.

...so what you're saying is, the chip is there, but the majority of the other hardware components are not, in the same way that an LTE chip is present, but also lacking an amplifier, etc. The Nexus 4 is about as acceptable of an LTE device as it is a CDMA device, in other words meaning it's not an acceptable LTE device, just like it's not an acceptable CDMA device. This is not a CDMA phone.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
...so what you're saying is, the chip is there, but the majority of the other hardware components are not, in the same way that an LTE chip is present, but also lacking an amplifier, etc. The Nexus 4 is about as acceptable of an LTE device as it is a CDMA device, in other words meaning it's not an acceptable LTE device, just like it's not an acceptable CDMA device. This is not a CDMA phone.

Of course it isn't. But it certainly isn't as far away from being one as you'd like to imply.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
You should either enjoy what you bought...a gsm phone, or buy something else. What's the point in wishing/wanting/debating what this phone could be? It is what it is.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Of course it isn't. But it certainly isn't as far away from being one as you'd like to imply.

The N4 lacks the hardware to run on a CDMA network effectively. You do not fix this with a software update; the current Nexus 4is substantially farther away from running on a CDMA network as you seem to imply. Google & LG would have to build a different phone for Verizon, or maybe you think they ought to issue a recall on the device and add the necessary hardware to run on a CDMA network.

Again, not sure how this is a discussion.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The N4 lacks the hardware to run on a CDMA network effectively. You do not fix this with a software update; the current Nexus 4is substantially farther away from running on a CDMA network as you seem to imply. Google & LG would have to build a different phone for Verizon, or maybe you think they ought to issue a recall on the device and add the necessary hardware to run on a CDMA network.

Again, not sure how this is a discussion.

You seem to be misunderstanding what I'm saying. (And throwing in some unnecessary hyperbole for good measure)

Let me spell it out for you:

1. The nexus is based around Optimus G reference hardware, which comes in both CDMA and gsm variants.

2. The nexus HAS a baseband chip that is compatible with any network in the US.

3. If google wanted to create a CDMA nexus, the hardware already exists to do so and can be put into a 'new' model of nexus without any major re-engineering. This is a major benefit that LG and Google have already cited for the current GSM model.

4. It is nowhere near as difficult to create a CDMA nexus 4 as you have implied in your posts in this thread.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
You seem to be misunderstanding what I'm saying. (And throwing in some unnecessary hyperbole for good measure)

Let me spell it out for you:

3. If google wanted to create a CDMA nexus, the hardware already exists to do so and can be put into a 'new' model of nexus without any major re-engineering. This is a major benefit that LG and Google have already cited for the current GSM model.

4. It is nowhere near as difficult to create a CDMA nexus 4 as you have implied in your posts in this thread.

#4: If you have to create a separate product, that makes it difficult. Why is that an argument?

#3: As you even mentioned yourself, LG would have to create a different Nexus, and for such a miniscule market when considering where CDMA is used on a global level.

No part of this sounds simple or like a properly thought out business strategy.

Not happening :)

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
#4: If you have to create a separate product, that makes it difficult. Why is that an argument?

#3: As you even mentioned yourself, LG would have to create a different Nexus, and for such a miniscule market when considering where CDMA is used on a global level.

No part of this sounds simple or like a properly thought out business strategy.

Not happening :)

The hardware is already there in the Optimus g. Lg could do it easily.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Verizon would want to tattoo their logo all over the place and take months to "test" Software updates.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Dave_k605

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
Who cares what Verizon does to the nexus.

Flash up to date roms on it, it's what the device is intended for.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
So why don't you start emailing LG, Verizon and Google and see how well it goes? It sounds so simple, they'll probably have a phone ready for you by Christmas.

Because if I ever buy another nexus it will be on another carrier and it will have LTE. My contract is up in February, so I'm considering moving back to t-mobile for their unlimited.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance