Is Google moving forward of backward with their Nexus devices?

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes, for the people that are on T-Mobile, or the tiny, mostly regional companies that still have unlimited data.

Since carriers have only started getting rid of unlimited data plans after the GNex came out, I would personally think Google would realize that people would have significantly less monthly data allowances now, and create phones with that fact in mind. But I guess they don't care.

Vote with your dollars, switch to a carrier that offers unlimited data if it means that much to you.
Enough people do and the big boys will have to react - I'm convinced that's Google's play here.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Completely agree with you here, but we need to be realistic too - 16GB of movies and music will take you through a lot of flights!

I agree. It's partly the hassle of managing things to a big degree. I don't want to have to delete things just to fit a bunch of things. I am fine with it when I have an excessive amount of music or movies, but 32GB is still the sweet spot.

Don't get me wrong. I'm buying this phone because the positives still out weigh the negatives.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
:confused:

All the reviews have been -- I presume -- early or pre-production models. When reviews start coming out of production, sold units (e.g. long term test drive reviews), then I'll believe their battery complaints.

Good point. I can't imagine that the battery could be as bad as my SGS2 so I hope we can get some reasonable battery life without micro managing it all the time.

cnguyen0320

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't rly seem odd to me to use a music streaming device as a music streamer and a phone as a phone. That said, you have plenty of options. You can either get T-Mo unlimited plan, deal with a 2000 ish music library, or get one of the many Android phones that have an SD card slot.

Thats not the point. If all phones were created equally, we could just get a phone that offers microSD. However not all phones are like the nexus which is why we can't just get another android phone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Thats not the point. If all phones were created equally, we could just get a phone that offers microSD. However not all phones are like the nexus which is why we can't just get another android phone.

Actually, that is the point with Android. You have options. Weigh the pros and cons. Make your choice. This isn't an Apple one-size-fits-all world.

The Nexus isn't the end.

quamdar

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Looks to be about neutral to me, while they are offering some awesome stuff at awesome prices 99.9% of people don't know about the devices. It can be a step forward if they can market them well and get people to buy them for xmas.

going_home

Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!
Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
B A C K W A R D

I change phones frequently.

I lose all pictures when the phone has no expandable memory.

I dont use cloud storage, nor do I have any interest in using it.

The non removable battery means you are buying a new device if it gets wet.

B A C K W A R D

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Some good point in here as to why the missing features are missed and needed, wanted. Everybody doesn't have the same wants n needs. Post #77 is me almost to a tee.

After having a G Nex, I would take a non removable battery over no sd card if I had to choose. An SD card means its easy, quick for me to get up n running on a new phone. Custom ROMs...I hated that you had to back up everything. I never had to do that with phones with SD cards. Don't know if that's still the same. If it is...its a big turn off.

I dont think they are moving backwards...but sometimes going forward, change, getting rid of X feature/spec isnt necessarily the best thing. I actually miss my hard keys from my Droid X1. Playing games....its too easy to hit capacitive keys and on screen ones. And the on screen keys do take of screen space most up the time.

On my phone....my 16GB sd card ...I used up 11GB. 16GB is the absolute minimum IMO, and I havent even installed all the apps, games I used. I use Spotify and Google Music. Spotify...uses up alot of space. Goes back to we all dont use our phones the same. I barely use my camera, have no e-books or movies. Add those last 2 thing in...and 16GB becomes too small quick.

Last edited:

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

So you're incapable of copying photos to your computer, then copying them to the new device?

Also, you should really use Dropbox (or Google+, or Amazon) instant upload. It'll upload all of your photos when you're on Wifi. If you care that much about photos, you should know better than to trust just one storage medium as a backup.

If your phone gets wet, you're pretty SOL either way. I think it's pretty short-sighted to expect Google to engineer a phone with a removable battery just to increase the chances of recovering a device when its dropped in water. This is quite obviously something that isn't a regular use-case... Create a phone with a removable battery so you can get it wet? Doesn't make sense.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
So you're incapable of copying photos to your computer, then copying them to the new device?

Also, you should really use Dropbox (or Google+, or Amazon) instant upload. It'll upload all of your photos when you're on Wifi. If you care that much about photos, you should know better than to trust just one storage medium as a backup.

If your phone gets wet, you're pretty SOL either way. I think it's pretty short-sighted to expect Google to engineer a phone with a removable battery just to increase the chances of recovering a device when its dropped in water. This is quite obviously something that isn't a regular use-case... Create a phone with a removable battery so you can get it wet? Doesn't make sense.

About the wet phone.....not necessarily.

I found a phone that was in the snow for at least a month or 2.. The battery was swelling and had to be thrown away. The phone....works fine tho.

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Google took an huge step backward with the Nexus 4. They are making huge strides with their tablet development. I

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
B A C K W A R D

B A C K W A R D

Well you can back things up to your computer but good point on the getting wet thing. Timing is everything on the toilet drop.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

I understand what you are saying about the wet phone thing but if you had a phone that died because it shorted out you may have a different opinion. My daughter dropped her phone beside a pool. It hit the pool deck and the back and battery popped out right before it fell in the pool. It was totally submerged for a good while. I put it in a bowl of rice for 2 days and it's still going strong 4 months later. I'm glad this was a possibility. I saved $600 that day.

going_home

Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!
Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

1) Ok yes I could spend time transferring stuff, the point is I shouldnt have to do that, its not that hard to include an external storage slot.

2) As I already posted, I dont use Dropbox etc nor should I have to, its not that hard to include an external storage slot.

3) I have gotten several phones wet. Pull the battery immediately and put all of it in uncooked rice for a few days and they work fine.

What doesnt make sense is why Google has chosen to make the battery non removable and not include an expandable memory slot, thats what doesnt make sense.

sfreemanoh

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Vote with your dollars, switch to a carrier that offers unlimited data if it means that much to you.
Enough people do and the big boys will have to react - I'm convinced that's Google's play here.
Sure, if I wanted to go with a carrier that has sub-par coverage. I know people that use T-Mobile, and none of them even try to lie about the crappy coverage as compared to Verizon.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
1) Ok yes I could spend time transferring stuff, the point is I shouldnt have to do that, its not that hard to include an external storage slot.

2) As I already posted, I dont use Dropbox etc nor should I have to, its not that hard to include an external storage slot.

3) I have gotten several phones wet. Pull the battery immediately and put all of it in uncooked rice for a few days and they work fine.

What doesnt make sense is why Google has chosen to make the battery non removable and not include an expandable memory slot, thats what doesnt make sense.

Are you the same type of user that doesn't empty out the SD card on their digital camera?

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Google is deffenitly moving forward. Producing an unlocked phone of great specs yet keeping it simple for the masses and making it customizable for the exprienced and with such a low price will force other phone makers and carriers to reconsider how their phones and services compare to the new kid on the block.

shlk7

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I seem to notice a lot of people require external storage (Don't care if they actually need it or just fancy it. Thats their opinion and if they are willing to spend for it why should I argue). I would have thought that google would have offered other variants (8/16/32/64) even if they are not allowing external cards.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE