Need some advice/opinions...switching from VZW Gnex to N4 maybe...

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I currently have a VZW Gnex with unlimited data that my company pays for. I am the "android device guru" for my company so I always have the option of having any handset I need. They want to make sure I have the latest version of Android for testing. My company has corporate accounts with Verizon and AT&T. Here is my dilemma...

I really want the Nexus 4. I got the VZW Nexus because I wanted to have the Nexus last year and it was initially only available on Verizon. At work and home, the two places I use my phone the most I get between 5-7mbps on Verizon LTE. This year may be my only opportunity to switch to AT&T otherwise I may end up on Verizon for good if I am no longer rubbing shoulders with our cell phone admin. I wouldn't need to pay anything out of my pocket to get the Nexus 4 and switch to AT&T. I amconcerned that maybe future Nexi also won't be available on Verizon and if I had to switch now or never I wouldn't want to be left out of the Nexus game for good. Anyway, I would like to know what you think I should do.

Here is my current situation:

unlimted LTE data on VZW (5-7mbps where I usually am) - good for tethering
Have to use custom ROMs to have the latest version of Android
Horrid battery life
Good signal for the most part
Possibility of never getting another Nexus device
GPS is pretty bad for navigation and running apps
Phone lags occasionally

What i would have if I switched to the N4 and AT&T

5GB of HSPA+ data (probably between 1-3mbps where I am) - not so good for tethering
Custom ROMs wouldn't be necessary for latest version of android
Probably all future Nexus phones available on AT&T
Not as good of a signal for AT&T devices where I usually am, sometimes really bad signal.
better phone than the Gnex, faster less lag
better GPS? (I would assume the snapdragon is better with GPS and if it has GLONASS as well)

I'm sure I missed a couple things but thats the gist of it. So what do you guys think? Is it worth giving up faster, unlimited data and a better signal for phone calls to be a part of the Nexus lineup's future?

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
i just signed a 2 year contract with ATT coming from VZW G Nex was able to break contract on VZW due to me switching jobs. I figured that that Nexus 4 will be an amazing phone and that signing with ATT locks me into a network that also has LTE so if I ever decide that I can't deal with HSPA+ only on the nexus 4 I can simple buy another phone that has it and switch.

I say go for it.

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
i just signed a 2 year contract with ATT coming from VZW G Nex was able to break contract on VZW due to me switching jobs. I figured that that Nexus 4 will be an amazing phone and that signing with ATT locks me into a network that also has LTE so if I ever decide that I can't deal with HSPA+ only on the nexus 4 I can simple buy another phone that has it and switch.

I say go for it.

What phone are you currently using on AT&T? One with LTE or just HSPA?

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
What phone are you currently using on AT&T? One with LTE or just HSPA?

My roommate lent me his Galaxy S3. It is the international HSPA+ only version. Just using it until I get my nexus 4, network speeds seems good enough for me. I am selling the brand new s3 on ebay if you are interested in buying one :)

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I use a galaxy note on att. And in my town with 3-5 bars of signal (hspa+) I get between 3-7mbps download which is plenty good. Wifi at home for downloading large files and it works great

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys. I am definitely leaning toward switching the only concern I have is that I know the at&t signal will be worse. I'm not that concerned with data speeds since I did just fine with Verizon abysmal 3G prior to having the nexus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ziptied

Your Resident Googler
May 26, 2010
Visit site
I don't really understand the point of switching carriers when you clearly prefer VZW service to AT&T for a device. If you have a GNex now it will get 4.2 someday, but im sure the dev community will have it a mere days after the N4 release. Your issues seem to all be solvable with software, and an extended battery. Why compromise service for something a flash on your existing device and a battery can take care of? Just my opinion though.

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
the g nexus is getting a little long in the tooth imo. It's spec's were late to the game even when it launched due to all its delays. after playing with the s3, i cant wait to have an even faster phone running stock android out of the box.

MrBigFeathers

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't really understand the point of switching carriers when you clearly prefer VZW service to AT&T for a device. If you have a GNex now it will get 4.2 someday, but im sure the dev community will have it a mere days after the N4 release. Your issues seem to all be solvable with software, and an extended battery. Why compromise service for something a flash on your existing device and a battery can take care of? Just my opinion though.

Yeah, mainly what I don't want to happen is all future Nexus devices are AT&T and T-Mobile only. This may be my last chance to switch to AT&T. I don't want to be left out for future Nexus devices. I would have no problem waiting for the next Nexus, but if I'm still on Verizon next year I probably won't be getting the next one either. I use BuglessBeast so I know I will have the latest Android release even with the GNex on VZW, but I may have to go away from rooted devices because of mobile device management software incoming where I work so i definitely would need a supported Nexus to have the latest version in the future.

Oh well, I'm still debating.