Nexus 4 8GB - How Much Actual Useable Space ?

going_home

Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!
Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have any idea exactly how much useable space is on a new 8 gigabyte Nexus 4 ?
Wondering if I am going to buy one or not.
The extra $50 will kill it for me, would buy more than one.

:confused:

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Well the 16GB Galaxy Nexus has 13.33GB total space, so the Nexus 4 will likely report something like 6.66GB total. Its kinda weird because its reported differently in decimals and binary, and the formatted size of an 8GB chip is less than 8GB... Subtract a couple GB for the OS and there you go.

I think the only devices out for review are 16GB, so we won't know for sure until the 8GB goes on sale.

Winterfang

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
8MP pictures weight 800mb or 8mb each? I have lots of pictures and I like to have them in my phone. My current camera is 5MP and photos barely take any space.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
8MP pictures weight 800mb or 8mb each? I have lots of pictures and I like to have them in my phone. My current camera is 5MP and photos barely take any space.

800MB? Could you imagine if each picture was that big? lmao

an 8MP JPEG will only be a couple MB. There's compression involved in shooting JPEG.

My 12MP RAW photos from my Micro 4/3 camera are about 14MB in size. But if I shoot in JPEG, the file sizes are multiple times smaller.

Don't worry about filling up your internal storage with photos from the phone's camera, you'd have to take thousands and thousands and never remove them.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
The first day you will run out of room on 8gb n4. 2days later you will be out of room on 16gb n4. So no matter what Google has screwed every one again. Best bet get a WiFi hard drive and carry it around. Really surprised AC hasn't done a story on those yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
The first day you will run out of room on 8gb n4. 2days later you will be out of room on 16gb n4. So no matter what Google has screwed every one again. Best bet get a WiFi hard drive and carry it around. Really surprised AC hasn't done a story on those yet.

Or upload whatever massive files you carry around on your phone to the cloud B-)

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
800MB? Could you imagine if each picture was that big? lmao

an 8MP JPEG will only be a couple MB. There's compression involved in shooting JPEG.

My 12MP RAW photos from my Micro 4/3 camera are about 14MB in size. But if I shoot in JPEG, the file sizes are multiple times smaller.

Don't worry about filling up your internal storage with photos from the phone's camera, you'd have to take thousands and thousands and never remove them.
This may sound ridiculous but my dad for his job shoots 25 for sports each. Its crazy how large they get.

Agreed with about 5gb remaining.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

So what exactly are you doing to fill up a phone's internal storage at the rate of 4GB per day? And what's the graph of this usage look like over time? You're going to fill up even the largest phone capacities available in ~24 days.

reign831

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

Um, what? What the heck are you putting on your phone?

reidoreilly

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Total space a little under 7 Gb
Available space a little over 5 Gb.

So, both of you are right.

its actually about 6gb(+/- 2gb)

as far as how far will the 8gb go, I think it would be better than what people expect. Honestly most of the space on my Gnex is taken up basically because I just don't delete uneeded zips/apks, and backups. Keeping a bunch of backups ON your phone is a bad practice as is, you should always transfer those to something else with the storage being fixed and non-removable. In the event something does happen, your kinda screwed with the backup only being on your phone. Its fine if you keep 1 backup, but anymore than that usually isn't needed. Same thing for rom zips, I have no reason for keeping versions 8.0 on up of jellybelly along with all the different gapps, but i do simply because i just never bother to delete them. The rom files with gapps alone is probably 2gb+. I I know not everyone uses streaming but I do, so music isn't an issue for me when it comes to space either. Would I like more space? Yes, but I can live completely normal without it, I just have to not get messy with what I store on it.

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site
its actually about 6gb(+/- 2gb)

as far as how far will the 8gb go, I think it would be better than what people expect. Honestly most of the space on my Gnex is taken up basically because I just don't delete uneeded zips/apks, and backups. Keeping a bunch of backups ON your phone is a bad practice as is, you should always transfer those to something else with the storage being fixed and non-removable. In the event something does happen, your kinda screwed with the backup only being on your phone. Its fine if you keep 1 backup, but anymore than that usually isn't needed. Same thing for rom zips, I have no reason for keeping versions 8.0 on up of jellybelly along with all the different gapps, but i do simply because i just never bother to delete them. The rom files with gapps alone is probably 2gb+. I I know not everyone uses streaming but I do, so music isn't an issue for me when it comes to space either. Would I like more space? Yes, but I can live completely normal without it, I just have to not get messy with what I store on it.
Well that's you, i have most of the internal 16Gb filled on my Amaze and a 16Gb microSD that is completely filled. If I was more decisive on what to keep I could swing a phone with only 16Gb of storage but 8Gb is ridiculous. At that point you're not using the phone to its full capabilities IMO.

going_home

Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!
Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Well that's you, i have most of the internal 16Gb filled on my Amaze and a 16Gb microSD that is completely filled. If I was more decisive on what to keep I could swing a phone with only 16Gb of storage but 8Gb is ridiculous. At that point you're not using the phone to its full capabilities IMO.

Just pics and a vid or two. Mostly apps from the store. No music or any movies.
Mostly just use it for a communication device, calls, texts, email.
I have audio files on my tablet if I want to listen to them.

Runningwarrior08

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Honestly going through the storage on my Gnex. I currently have 3GB usable, after deleting the files for the games I only play ion my tablet I am only using a few gigs then. I have the cloud for storage along with netflix etc, and my tablet has 64gigs. Which usually is always with me. So for me I am really debating getting the 8 gig version and saving a few dollars... Worst case scenario I sell it for a slight loss and buy a new shiny 16gb...

sduda210

May 3, 2012
Visit site
I have been considering the 8 gig version because I use my nexus 7 for games and music. The nexus 4 would only have communication apps on it which aren't big at all. The lack of an SD card doesn't bother me at all either. I lost a bunch of new born pics of my daughter due to a SD card going bad. Since then I always backed my pics up to my computer and cloud.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12