Verizon: The anti-Nexus

spooky981

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
A long time ago, Apple approached Verizon with a brand new phone. They were turned down because Verizon wasn't willing to give up it's absolute control over devices and operating systems. As the story goes, Apple then went to AT&T and cut the most lucrative exclusivity deal the mobile phone industry has ever seen. Oversimplification? Yes. But let's see what Verizon learned from their massive mistake.

With several examples to draw on we can see what the cornerstones of a Nexus are supposed to be:
1) Vanilla android experience
2) Cutting edge technology
3) No carrier bloat or interference
4) Immediate Updates

Fast forward to 2011 when Verizon and Google jointly release the first ever Nexus device on Verizon's network. As a consequence of Verizon's involvement, what did we get? A compromise.
1) Slow updates.
2) Unremovable preinstalled carrier bloatware.
2) The product was needlessly delayed so it didn't interfere with the release of the Razr. Thus reducing how "cutting edge" it actually was upon release.
3) Google Wallet blocked by Verizon to reduce adoption rate and support the coming release of ISIS.

The Galaxy Nexus was a fantastic phone, but a "Nexus", it was not. Too many of the cardinal rules were compromised.

I respect everyone who chooses Verizon as their carrier. I'm just outside of Washington DC and have the luxury of excellent coverage from any carrier. But after seeing Verizon's interpretation of what a Nexus is, I doubt Google is in any rush to make another deal. And honestly it's better for the entire Android community that Verizon stays out of the Nexus game.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
With several examples to draw on we can see what the cornerstones of a Nexus are supposed to be:
1) Vanilla android experience
2) Cutting edge technology
3) No carrier bloat or interference
4) Immediate Updates

I'd argue the only pillar of Nexus is showing off the Android experience as intended by Google. I don't feel like at release, the hardware was necessarily cutting edge - as in cutting edge over what was available at the same time vs. being on-par with the current cutting edge.

"No carrier bloat or interference" and "Immediate Updates" would be parts of that "vanilla" Android experience as intended by Google, not separate cornerstones.

Still, Nexus is Google's brand. Therefore whatever Google wants to call a Nexus is a Nexus regardless of these fan-perceived "cornerstones".

spooky981

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
You're completely correct that Google has never actually "told" anyone what the Nexus is supposed to be. However it is a fair statement that until Google officially states what their intention is for the Nexus line, we can only interpolate their intentions based on the products already released. Hence how I arrived at my cornerstones.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You're completely correct that Google has never actually "told" anyone what the Nexus is supposed to be. However it is a fair statement that until Google officially states what their intention is for the Nexus line, we can only interpolate their intentions based on the products already released. Hence how I arrived at my cornerstones.

We can interpolate their intentions all we want. However, I wouldn't count those as anything official because official would come from Google, not you or me.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'd argue the only pillar of Nexus is showing off the Android experience as intended by Google. I don't feel like at release, the hardware was necessarily cutting edge - as in cutting edge over what was available at the same time vs. being on-par with the current cutting edge.

"No carrier bloat or interference" and "Immediate Updates" would be parts of that "vanilla" Android experience as intended by Google, not separate cornerstones.

Still, Nexus is Google's brand. Therefore whatever Google wants to call a Nexus is a Nexus regardless of these fan-perceived "cornerstones".

I agree with you about the VZW Nexus being a Nexus because that's what Google intended it to be. Having said that, remember when the Galaxy Nexus was advertised by Verizon? They called it the Galaxy Nexus by Samsung with no mention of Google. I always thought that was kind of strange. It was like Verizon didn't even want to acknowedge the Nexus brand or that it was a Google phone. I had the Verizon Gnex and liked it but I really liked the GSM version better but, that's just me.

My issue isn't with forum members who are on Verzion and want a Verizon Nexus 4, I hope they get it. My issue is with Verizon.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
The Verizon nexus was the fake nexus. Verizon has learned absolutely nothing and continue being overbearing control freaks. Don't blame google for not having a CDMA variant Nexus, blame Verizon for screwing things up. I'm so glad not to be hopelessly tied to them or any other CDMA carrier.

spooky981

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Anyone who's done their homework is on a GSM prepaid or value plan right now. The only exception being those few people in odd geographic areas where Verizon is the only carrier with usable service.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
we can only interpolate their intentions based on the products already released. Hence how I arrived at my cornerstones.
They are used to disperse Aliens and their technology around the world ;)
I am not an American, but from all the talk about Verizon, If i were to travel i probably wouldnt use them then.

bayou bandit

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a stock, non-rooted Verizon GN and I do not have any "unremovable carrier bloatware" on my phone. I bought it brand new from the store a year ago. It has never had any bloatware.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
A long time ago, Apple approached Verizon with a brand new phone. They were turned down because Verizon wasn't willing to give up it's absolute control over devices and operating systems. As the story goes, Apple then went to AT&T and cut the most lucrative exclusivity deal the mobile phone industry has ever seen. Oversimplification? Yes. But let's see what Verizon learned from their massive mistake.

Actually, the news broke a year or two ago after an interview with a rep/reps from Verizon that Apple never approached them about a CDMA original iPhone. Apple wanted the iPhone to be compatible with networks in more countries than just the U.S., so it used GSM, not CDMA.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Saiga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I have a stock, non-rooted Verizon GN and I do not have any "unremovable carrier bloatware" on my phone. I bought it brand new from the store a year ago. It has never had any bloatware.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

It comes with my Verizon and backup assistant. Do you think Google included those in stock Android?

Those apps, no matter if they're useful to you or not, are bloat. They are examples of carrier modifications just like the removal of Google wallet. Carrier modifications = Pnex

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Another factor in Verizon's passing is that they balked at the kickbacks Steve Jobs was demanding from carriers for iPhone sales and contracts. AT&T reportedly paid Apple $150-$200 for each phone and $9/mo on each contract in exchange for exclusivity. (Source)

MazoMark

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Anyone who's done their homework is on a GSM prepaid or value plan right now. The only exception being those few people in odd geographic areas where Verizon is the only carrier with usable service.

Absolutely agree. I am hoping Straight Talk will work for me. If it does, I will save over $700/year vs my current Verizon $100+/month two year contract. Even after paying ETF to Verizon, I can break even in less than 6 months.

spooky981

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely agree. I am hoping Straight Talk will work for me. If it does, I will save over $700/year vs my current Verizon $100+/month two year contract. Even after paying ETF to Verizon, I can break even in less than 6 months.

I'm eating three partial ETF's and paying full retail for three new phones, and I'll break even in just over a year. That's how overpriced the major carriers are. Anyone still with Verizon or AT&T, reception situation not withstanding, is just scared to make a change.