Possible iPhone defector

peejay1977

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

Joined the forum many moons age but ended up going the iPhone 3G route, then onto a Blackberry and finally back to the iPhone 4S I currently have.

I'm not an Apple fanboy or an Android hater, I'm a techie by trade and love gadgets of all types so never consider myself on one side of the fence or another.

I love my iPhone don't get me wrong, but I do find texting slightly annoying due to the width of the screen, I do also find it frustrating with Apples drip feed approach to features. As a techie I like customisability and I can't even change the default browse on my iPhone, for instance.

So, with the bargain basement price of the Nexus 4, I'm seriously tempted by it as I won't have to put much on top of my 4S to get it.

Can anyone offer so unbiased opinions? I know I'm not exactly asking in the right place for an unbiased opinion but I'd be grateful of any comments.

The lack of 4G/LTE is no issue as it's not really common in the UK at the moment and I'm out of contract next year anyway. The lack of removeable battery isn't a problem either as, I have an iPhone so I'm used to that. I'm not even phased by the lack of Micro-SD slot as I currently have the 16Gb iPhone and don't find space an issue.

Seems a no brainer for me, most of the apps I use are available for Android so comments are welcome.

Thanks

Paul.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,

Joined the forum many moons age but ended up going the iPhone 3G route, then onto a Blackberry and finally back to the iPhone 4S I currently have.

I'm not an Apple fanboy or an Android hater, I'm a techie by trade and love gadgets of all types so never consider myself on one side of the fence or another.

I love my iPhone don't get me wrong, but I do find texting slightly annoying due to the width of the screen, I do also find it frustrating with Apples drip feed approach to features. As a techie I like customisability and I can't even change the default browse on my iPhone, for instance.

So, with the bargain basement price of the Nexus 4, I'm seriously tempted by it as I won't have to put much on top of my 4S to get it.

Can anyone offer so unbiased opinions? I know I'm not exactly asking in the right place for an unbiased opinion but I'd be grateful of any comments.

The lack of 4G/LTE is no issue as it's not really common in the UK at the moment and I'm out of contract next year anyway. The lack of removeable battery isn't a problem either as, I have an iPhone so I'm used to that. I'm not even phased by the lack of Micro-SD slot as I currently have the 16Gb iPhone and don't find space an issue.

Seems a no brainer for me, most of the apps I use are available for Android so comments are welcome.

Thanks

Paul.

Well the Nexus 4 isn't out yet so we can't offer any opinions on that (outside of Phil who has reviewed the phone on the front page), but you've basically shot down all the problems that early reviewers have with the Nexus 4, namely:

a) no LTE which you said is not a problem for you
b) no removable battery which you said is not a problem for you
c) no micro-SD card which you also said is not a problem for you.

You'll get the best android experience you can get with the Nexus phone, timely updates from Google and all the major apps are available from the play store that you can find in the App store. So what's stopping you? I think you've answered all your own questions. :)

Given that the Nexus is unlocked, even if you totally hate it, you can re-sell it to someone else, and they can use it without having to worry about mobile contracts or the phone not working on their carrier. So I'd say you should just try it out.

gmarkoma

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,

Thanks

Paul.

Hi,

I am exactly in the same position but with iphone 4. What concerns me is the battery only. After 2 years with iphone 4 I have 25 hours battery with 6 hours usage (1 hour youtube videos+ 5 hours emails/surfing). From what I can see with the nexus 4 I will not be able to achieve such battery life. However is a really powerfull device, I am feeling that my iphone is a bit slow. So yes from one point of view I am afraid that I will not have the same battery but I hope that the experience will be nice. What I am saying to everybody is that with this price, Apple can not justify the 679 euro for iphone 5, 16GB in France. I really like iphone but buying a device similar with 329 euro less, oh yes I want it. :)

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I am exactly in the same position but with iphone 4. What concerns me is the battery only. After 2 years with iphone 4 I have 25 hours battery with 6 hours usage (1 hour youtube videos+ 5 hours emails/surfing). From what I can see with the nexus 4 I will not be able to achieve such battery life. However is a really powerfull device, I am feeling that my iphone is a bit slow. So yes from one point of view I am afraid that I will not have the same battery but I hope that the experience will be nice. What I am saying to everybody is that with this price, Apple can not justify the 679 euro for iphone 5, 16GB in France. I really like iphone but buying a device similar with 329 euro less, oh yes I want it. :)

Biggest battery drain is screen brightness and cell radios. Depending on how bright you set your screen you can achieve better battery results. I know a guy who literally keeps his iPhone at the lowest possible brightness, it's so dull I can't hardly see the screen, but he loves bragging about his battery. To each his own.

TheUI

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'll be honest with you. Android is a great platform. iOS is a great platform. The iPhone 4s (in my opinion) was Apple's best effort. It is beautiful, loaded with software options, has a great camera and doesn't fall prey to that absurd, mindblowingly senseless "LongPhone" form factor. Part of what makes it great, as well - is that the hardware is a joy to hold, and thus provides extra satisfaction in usage (something that a lot of folks debate, but I feel confident will redact upon holding the well built Nexus 4 for a few weeks).

So, Android. Android was the first platform I used (after BB and Palm) and is the one I am most heavily invested in. Ya know, after using the iPhone for awhile, and then going back to my Photon in anticipation of the Nexus 4 it really dawned on me that Android's customization isn't so important in that you can make your device look a certain way (which is certainly cool) but, rather that you can make it act nearly any way you can dream of.

Let's say you miss the way you used to interact with the iPhone, and hell, even that you miss it's iconic "look" and interface. You can recreate that (depending on your patience and skill) to a tee on Android. Let's say you want to know what WP actually "feels like" and looks like on a device in day to day use. You can bend Android that way too, there are apps that make the process incredibly easy actually. It's that flexible. Let's say you don't like the stock (Chrome) browser, because for some odd reason, it doesn't scale your favorite blog properly or something uncommon like that. It's as easy as "select as default" to simply choose a product (of which there are many) that does work for you.

Why do I bring this up to you, specifically? Because, you obviously like trying new things. And Android can chase that dragon for you more effectively than any other mobile operating system out there. If you want, you can make one giant "widget" that is literally just the text "PHONE," and have that on a black background, and that is the only thing your device displays. A giant button that says phone, and when you press it, it calls your ... local salesmen in Colorado. Or if, like some - you want a blistering assault on your eyes every time you open your device, by loading it up with widgets and a busy wallpaper (my wife) then you can do that to. You can always try something new. The only caveat to this that I can think of is, as a nerd and Android enthusiast, protect your wallet, because I promise you that every 3 months a new handset will "look neat" and that "looking neat" slowly builds into an insurmountable lust to "try something new." You will be amazed at the lies you tell yourself, and at how many times you swear "this is my last handset for at least a year."

So, give it a try man. You haven't got much to lose. Keep your 4s just in case, it is the best iPhone after all, and if you are still on 5.1.1, the best one that you can still Jailbreak, and if you decide you don't like the Nexus, sell it right before or a month after the holidays. Somebody will definitely take it off your hands for a fair price. Likewise, if you love it (which you probably will) consider selling the 4s, and if you don't like that idea - hey, an iPod (which you can tether to your Nexus 4) is still a pretty cool thing to have lying around.

IMO. Thanks for reading. :)

map1978

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm selling my iP5 because it didn't bring much to the table (hardware is stunning, but software is the same ole same ole) and buying the Nexus 4. It's half the price, will work fine with my Macbook Air, my current att plan, and looks like a solid, fast device.

I still find the iP5 screen still too small, even with it longer. I can't wait to see that LG screen...looks brilliant.

Like you, I like some customization and having freedom changing the device to my liking. iOS 6 is nothing new from iOS 5.

I hope the Nexus 4 makes a good music player. Would hate to have to get an ipod just for the gym.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm selling my iP5 because it didn't bring much to the table (hardware is stunning, but software is the same ole same ole) and buying the Nexus 4. It's half the price, will work fine with my Macbook Air, my current att plan, and looks like a solid, fast device.

I still find the iP5 screen still too small, even with it longer. I can't wait to see that LG screen...looks brilliant.

Like you, I like some customization and having freedom changing the device to my liking. iOS 6 is nothing new from iOS 5.

I hope the Nexus 4 makes a good music player. Would hate to have to get an ipod just for the gym.

The only issue I can see you (or anyone else) having is the storage. 16gb is a lot less than a 32 or 64gb iPod / iPhone. However, if you have even semi-decent coverage, Google Music does a great job of streaming your music through their cloud services. If you're worried about the software side of things, Google's own player looks nice, and has a built-in equalizer. The great thing about Android is that if the built-in app doesn't do it for you, there are tons of others to try on the Market, such as Doubletwist (which I believe makes the iTunes syncing process easier) or PowerAmp.

gmarkoma

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Biggest battery drain is screen brightness and cell radios. Depending on how bright you set your screen you can achieve better battery results. I know a guy who literally keeps his iPhone at the lowest possible brightness, it's so dull I can't hardly see the screen, but he loves bragging about his battery. To each his own.

I agree, I had enabled the automatic brightness, so of course I could see, I was watching videos and reading text. Also in the test that Phil did maybe is 3 hours with full brightness and 5 hours with lower one?

map1978

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
The only issue I can see you (or anyone else) having is the storage. 16gb is a lot less than a 32 or 64gb iPod / iPhone. However, if you have even semi-decent coverage, Google Music does a great job of streaming your music through their cloud services. If you're worried about the software side of things, Google's own player looks nice, and has a built-in equalizer. The great thing about Android is that if the built-in app doesn't do it for you, there are tons of others to try on the Market, such as Doubletwist (which I believe makes the iTunes syncing process easier) or PowerAmp.

Thanks for your response. I never keep all my content on a phone so 16GB won't be a problem here. I got the 32gb iP5 only for better resale value. I'm really attracted to the cheap $349 price for a premium spec'd device. I might give there cloud service a look at too.

seventeenseconds

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
1st post here and hope to be new to Android soon. It's only been (for me) since ICS and Jelly Bean that I would embrace Android over IOS. I've had 1st gen, 3GS and 4 model iphones -- loved them all and thoroughly enjoyed the platform. After 5 years, it feels stale to me now though and I'm ready for a change, especially with Apple abandoning Google services such as Maps. I simply feel Google Maps, Now and voice search are superior products to anything Apple has now or in the foreseeable future. I really want that tight Google integration.

I was really set on the HTC One X+, but with no details on release date on the US, I'm going to order the Nexus 4 on 13th. I'm going to see how I like the 'pure' Android experience. Never having had an LTE device, I don't know what I'm missing and don't heavily rely on data aside from browsing, some music streaming, email and maps. I don't anticipate it being a problem. I will miss my 32GB of storage, but ultimately not a deal breaker. My biggest concern is the camera right now. I really want a high quality camera, something in the One X+, GS III or Iphone 5 caliber. Hopefully the Nexus 4 will be better than my iphone 4? Yes, I know it's 8MP, but megapixals are only part of the story and hardly the part that matters most at that. Second biggest concern is build quality, especially the glass back (hate scratches), but moot point if I can find a decent, thin case. I haven't dropped a phone in 10 years, so not worried about cracking it and will have SquareTrade anyway.

My big draws to the One X+ were: the screen (arguably the best right now), 64GB storage, camera and I think the design is great. Would have loved to have a white model instead of the grey, but not willing to step down from the + model. If I don't like the Nexus 4 after a few months, I'm already out of contract on ATT, so could easily sell or keep it as a backup phone and re-up my contract on a One X+ or possibly GS IV when that's released Q2/Q3 next year (only if they ditch AMOLED or bring it up to the level of IPS LCD or LCD 2).

Really looking forward to the switch though!

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I reckon go for it, its not a major set back if it doesn't play out if any thing you would be able to sell it. Secondly, all the problems everyone is talking about you dont find a problem which is great. I think go for it.

MANdroidd

Banned
Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I say if youre on the fence this is the software version (4.2)/phone to try before deciding with platform you want to use in the future. the price cannot be beat.

peejay1977

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks all, interesting comments and views, I assume the micro sim form factor of my current sim will go straight in the Nexus?

Thanks

firstness

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
2.) You will find little to compare to the Apple flagship apps (Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Garageband, Bento, even the default Email app). In fact, there is no decent database app on Android. I have to export customer records to an XL spreadsheet to be able to access them on my Android devices, and of course sync is impossible here. This and my email workflow are probably the biggest kludges. Also more difficult to manage podcasts and just which have been listened to without iTunes.

Have you tried the new Google Drive app on Android? Supposedly it now has editing features:
  • Create and edit Google documents with support for tables, comments and rich text formatting
  • Edits to your Google documents appear to collaborators in seconds
  • View Google presentations with full animations and speaker notes
  • Make quick changes to spreadsheets
  • View your PDFs, Office documents and more
  • Upload and convert files to the Google Docs format

peejay1977

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Well what a shopping experience that was! Sheesh! And I ended up with 2 rather than 1! Now need to sample Google Play support to cancel one of them!

Am happy though :)

Percheh

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Well what a shopping experience that was! Sheesh! And I ended up with 2 rather than 1! Now need to sample Google Play support to cancel one of them!

Am happy though :)

Say.. I'm sure someone around here (ahem) would be happy to take the second one, assuming it's 16gb, off your hands for the price of the device and the postage. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs