Nexus or wait for GS3 Jelly Bean?

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I understand the recommendation for the 16GB model but was wondering if the 8GB would work using Dropbox. I have a GS3 with 16GB of storage and hardly use it mainly because of Dropbox but also because I don't download many games which take up most of the storage. Would saving the 50 bucks be better off in this situation? Also since I already have a Galaxy S3 currently with AT&T I'd be mainly purchasing the Nexus 4 because the Android updates take forever to finally get to my device. I have tested LTE and HSPA+ in my area and the speed difference is pretty big also with the lack of internal storage which is not expandable is having this Google phone worth dropping the GS3 for or is it better off waiting for my update?

Everything, in my opinion, is better on the GS3 I have currently EXCEPT the Android updates and not being able to use some key Google Applications like Google Wallet. Just wanted to see what you guys think, thanks!

:)

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like you've answered your own question in a way. If you like all the extras on the GS3 then it seems like you should keep it. Dropbox should work on the N4 just like it does on the GS3. I've owned a GS3 and it's a nice phone, I just don't care for touchwiz. I rooted it and installed a custom AOKP Rom which was nice but, it took about a month for all the kinks to be worked out by the developers. After that the Rom was great. The only thing about custom roms is they are at your own risk and, depend all on developer support. I admit I do miss the S3 some but, now that the N4 is coming out I don't care but, I'm a Nexus fanboy.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I tell ya, I've been more than happy with CM10 on the GS3. Not sure I'd pony up the cash just yet to make that leap.

cpolism

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Good to see everything here. I'm in the same situation. I have the GS3 as well, but didn't root it yet. My Nexus S was rooted with AOKP and I loved it. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet with the S3 because I was waiting for the Nexus. Now that it's coming out, I'm stumped as well. I live in the DC area, so my LTE is strong. I don't care about the 16GB or the Battery because both of those are non issues (for me). I might just get the N4 and try it out. Decide which one I like and stick with it. I'm sure if i were to sell the S3 on ebay or something I'd get more than what I paid for the N4 out of it. Decisions decisions...

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I tell ya, I've been more than happy with CM10 on the GS3. Not sure I'd pony up the cash just yet to make that leap.

Well you do get to play with every new phone, so wouldn't a phone have to knock you out before you would spend money on it?

Isn't your threshold a little higher?

Kind of like your school's quarterback... he can date practically any girl, so he's choosier...

Yeah... that's it... you are like the quarterback...!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Good to see everything here. I'm in the same situation. I have the GS3 as well, but didn't root it yet. My Nexus S was rooted with AOKP and I loved it. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet with the S3 because I was waiting for the Nexus. Now that it's coming out, I'm stumped as well. I live in the DC area, so my LTE is strong. I don't care about the 16GB or the Battery because both of those are non issues (for me). I might just get the N4 and try it out. Decide which one I like and stick with it. I'm sure if i were to sell the S3 on ebay or something I'd get more than what I paid for the N4 out of it. Decisions decisions...

I'd have to agree, the biggest issue for me is the dramatic difference in data speeds for my area. I'll probably just buy a Nexus 4 8GB and see which I like more but keep my GS3 for a back up.

thechemE#CB

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Im in the same boat only with verizon. However my lte speed is only about 8 mbps which isn't that great and t mobile says I am in an excellent coverage zone. So hspa may be faster

Last edited:

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a GS3 as well. I really like my GS3. Biggest thing i dont like is it takes too long to get updates because the carrier has to get their mitts on it and add their bull first. Thats my biggest complaint and why i would like to get a Nexus. I believe i would also prefer the IPS LCD screen of the Nexus over my AMOLED though it is nice too. The non removable battery isnt that big a deal considering its price though id prefer it and i dont care about no LTE. TMo dont have it anyways.

Now my biggest complaint of the Nexus is lack of memory. 8GB is a joke and 16 is not enough. Would like to see a 32GB version. I definitely dont go crazy with a ton of apps or movies(i only have 3 on my GS3) or music(i have 1270 songs) and add my photos which isnt even 100....and im full already using 16 GB(only 13 usable). I shouldnt have to cut back from that to keep space available.

My GS3 is not rooted because i dont feel i need to root it since it runs great but i will if it wont be getting 4.2. Hell im still waiting for 4.1

So...i was going to get the 16GB Nexus 4 but not on launch day as i want to read reviews of it with its finished OS first but i also may wait to see if a 32 GB version is coming. If not i may still get it but i really dont know. That is a tough decision.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
After having two Nexus devices I'm not sure if they are worth it. sure, it was nice getting updates first, but I'm finding that the software from OEM manufacturers are presenting better features. I am really impressed with what Samsung is doing with their hardware and software. I'm not too worried about upgrading to the next OS version because q lot of the features stock Android is producing, I already have on my device through Samsung's Touch Wiz software.

from my Galaxy Note 2, baddest phone on the planet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34