T-Mobile $30 4G plan

howarmat

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
cant believe i am doing this but i am going to get N4 and test on this plan with tmo. Not sure about speeds and coverage here in the outskirts of Indy. Been with VZW for almost 15 years but this is just too tempting to try. I will run the N4 and my nexus side by side and see if it wins out or if i stick with VZW. i have an upgrade waiting on VZW as of Nov 18th that i will keep around also :)

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I will be doing this too. My contract with Sprint is up and I can't wait to try this out, it will save me a lot of money in the long run. My only problem is keeping my number, I have never been on any other carrier so I don't know how phone number switching works? Can I switch my Sprint number to T-Mobile's pre-paid? I don't know how any of that works.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
cant believe i am doing this but i am going to get N4 and test on this plan with tmo. Not sure about speeds and coverage here in the outskirts of Indy. Been with VZW for almost 15 years but this is just too tempting to try. I will run the N4 and my nexus side by side and see if it wins out or if i stick with VZW. i have an upgrade waiting on VZW as of Nov 18th that i will keep around also :)

Go to Tmo's site, look for the coverage map, stick in your zip code. It will give you a very good idea of the coverage (options for both 3g/hspa+ and 2g, etc) in your area. I checked it last week when I was considering my options as well :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

anon(354569)

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
So quick question. I'm going to be trying out the T Mobile $30 plan, but was wondering if there is a way to buy an extra bundle of minutes that I can use in addition to the 100 that are provided with the plan. I think that I can get away with 100 per month but would like to have a buffer in case I am going over. If not, would getting an additional SIM card with just extra minutes (1000 for example) be a viable option? If I am getting close to going over in minutes and need to make a longer call, for example, I could just pop in the minutes only SIM. I'm on Verizon now so will be new to the prepaid SIM world. Thanks

reign831

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
So quick question. I'm going to be trying out the T Mobile $30 plan, but was wondering if there is a way to buy an extra bundle of minutes that I can use in addition to the 100 that are provided with the plan. I think that I can get away with 100 per month but would like to have a buffer in case I am going over. If not, would getting an additional SIM card with just extra minutes (1000 for example) be a viable option? If I am getting close to going over in minutes and need to make a longer call, for example, I could just pop in the minutes only SIM. I'm on Verizon now so will be new to the prepaid SIM world. Thanks

If you feel like you're going to regularly be over 100min, have you considered https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...A%2F%2Fwww.straighttalk.com%2F&token=NLFhhp3g ?

limdoug

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
All you need to do is buy more refill cards and dump them into your account. I believe some of them do expire after 90 days (not sure on that though) so just make sure you don't put in too much.

Bubbles7361

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I will be doing this too. My contract with Sprint is up and I can't wait to try this out, it will save me a lot of money in the long run. My only problem is keeping my number, I have never been on any other carrier so I don't know how phone number switching works? Can I switch my Sprint number to T-Mobile's pre-paid? I don't know how any of that works.

I will be moving from Sprint as well. T-mo "4G" data speeds are better than Sprints WiMax 4G speeds around here. You should be able to transfer your phone number wherever you go. I think there are laws about that now. To make it easy, my plan is to transfer my # to Google Voice and then I can switch carriers all I want and never have to worry about moving my # anymore. Of course if Voice ever goes away I would be screwed, but I will be in good company.

Bubbles7361

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Just curious, There are only 100 min. talk in this plan. How do you plan to stay under that? Just anti-social?

I mostly communicate through texts anymore. My wife got me doing that. She can go through a few thousand texts a month. My mom is the only one that calls me much anymore, and that is because she still gets confused if she gets a text. I figure if I find 100 minutes is not enough I can always look into Skype or other VOIP options.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Just curious, There are only 100 min. talk in this plan. How do you plan to stay under that? Just anti-social?

I mostly communicate through texts anymore. My wife got me doing that. She can go through a few thousand texts a month. My mom is the only one that calls me much anymore, and that is because she still gets confused if she gets a text. I figure if I find 100 minutes is not enough I can always look into Skype or other VOIP options.

You answered your own question, lol. I also mostly communicate via text. 100 minutes a month will be plenty for me, and you can configure a voip setup to use wifi calling when you're at home, this is explained well in the guide below. :)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1646755

John-Smith

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I will be moving from Sprint as well. T-mo "4G" data speeds are better than Sprints WiMax 4G speeds around here. You should be able to transfer your phone number wherever you go. I think there are laws about that now. To make it easy, my plan is to transfer my # to Google Voice and then I can switch carriers all I want and never have to worry about moving my # anymore. Of course if Voice ever goes away I would be screwed, but I will be in good company.

What do you mean transfer your number to google voice?? I have google voice set up, but I'm not sure sure what you mean by transfering it to google voice?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
What do you mean transfer your number to google voice?? I have google voice set up, but I'm not sure sure what you mean by transfering it to google voice?

Google Voice can be used as a primary phone number rather than just voicemail. If you port a number to Google Voice, people can call that number and you can forward it to any phone you'd like.

What is Google Voice? - YouTube

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

If you already have a phone number you want to keep, you can have it become your Google Voice phone number instead of the random one they assign you.
Costs $20 to set up.

TheOnlyMorgan

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Tethering = Wifi Hotspot. Same things apply.

No, they announced more locations with 1900MHz HSPA+, which is part of their rollout to try and get unlocked iPhone users to come to their network.

T-Mobile is working farm popular markets from 1700/2100MHz (AWS) to 1900MHz so they're compatible with AT&T's devices.

Technically he wasn't wrong..they still announced new HSPA+ markets, just specifically for 1900MHz - which T-Mobile users on Nexus 4's can take advantage of.

map1978

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
You answered your own question, lol. I also mostly communicate via text. 100 minutes a month will be plenty for me, and you can configure a voip setup to use wifi calling when you're at home, this is explained well in the guide below. :)

[GUIDE] Smartphone Service for just $30/month - xda-developers

I thought you can't do wifi calling on the new Nexus 4? Maybe I'm losing my mind, but can someone confirm this, thanks.

bilago

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
I thought you can't do wifi calling on the new Nexus 4? Maybe I'm losing my mind, but can someone confirm this, thanks.

You are correct wifi calling is not supported, however wifi calling on Tmobile is not the same as using VOIP. Basically with wifi calling you are using wifi to call phones using your minutes still. This would be useful if you have bad signal in your house/business. VOIP will let you use your data connection (unlimited) instead of your 100 minutes.

TheOnlyMorgan

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You are correct wifi calling is not supported, however wifi calling on Tmobile is not the same as using VOIP. Basically with wifi calling you are using wifi to call phones using your minutes still. This would be useful if you have bad signal in your house/business. VOIP will let you use your data connection (unlimited) instead of your 100 minutes.
That's not how I understood it. I've always thought TMo's WiFi calling on compatible phones allowed unlimited calling using your mobile number through a WiFi connection. Because you wouldn't be fully using their bandwidth to route your calls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03