Galaxy S3 (rooted) or Nexus 4?

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm deciding which phone to buy. I'm really stuck between these two. If I go for the S3 I'll be running it rooted with CM10 and if I go for the Nexus 4 I'll be keeping it on stock Jelly Bean (rooted).

Its a tough choice. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm deciding which phone to buy. I'm really stuck between these two. If I go for the S3 I'll be running it rooted with CM10 and if I go for the Nexus 4 I'll be keeping it on stock Jelly Bean (rooted).

Its a tough choice. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

Whichever you like better. I personally can't stand the plastic look of the S3, it looks like a kids toy(The white version anyhow). The back button on it was annoyingly placed so whenever I flipped the phone for a video it would hit the button. The home button was very uncomfortable for me to press, missed my old S2 button.

If you have an S3 then I don't see why you would need to upgrade unless you absolutely want to. I already sold mine waiting. But otherwise it'll mostly be the same software wise, although when KLP comes out N4 will likely have a smoother transition to it.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Root's got nothing to do with it, of course, but I've been really happy with the GS3 and CM10. Aside from the hardware differences, it's almost a wash in terms of using the OS, right?

OTOH, LTE and more storage on the GS3.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I was in this exact same situation. I went from the GNex to the S3 on AT&T running CM10.

CM10 on the S3 is really good. I did find that the battery drained quicker on CM10 than Touchwiz stock, but that could just be my build. I recommend running the Monthly M2/3 builds because they are more stable than nightlies and you don't have to worry about flashing every night (which I never liked).

That said, I decided to go Nexus 4. I know I lose out on LTE, but having a Nexus phone is a great experience. You just get everything the way Google wants it and you don't have to worry about flashing, unlocking, bootloaders, etc if you don't want to. The design of the Nexus 4 also has me intrigued. It seems like a much more solid phone than the S3.

So I returned my S3 last week and have been phoneless, waiting for the Nexus 4 release. I'm even considering switching to a prepaid MVNO like Straight Talk or T-Mobile so I can get the 42+ speeds.

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thank you. All really good advice.

I should probably add the caveat that I am from the UK and not at all bothered about LTE as yet and. I like my carrier (o2 - yes I know they have issues from time to time) and I don't want to change.

I think the design of the nexus is really good and the fact that it gets updates nice and fast is a great USP.

The S3 has a great camera from what I've seen and all has the additional storage options you have listed. I think my concern with S3 was the plastic finish.

I am actually moving back to Android from windows phone as Nokia aren't selling the Lumia 920 on my carrier for possibly 6 months. That is the only windows phone I would want. Plus the app selection just doesn't look like improving significantly enough.

I think I am going to bite the bullet and for the nexus. Worst comes to worst I can sell it and buy an S3.

Syrential

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I think I am going to bite the bullet and for the nexus. Worst comes to worst I can sell it and buy an S3.

The thing that always refrained me from buying a S3 was the AMOLED Display, it's just a no-go for me. I want white to be white, not grayish or something, if it had the same panel the Note 2 has I would seriously consider the S3 as well, but the way it is right now it's the Nexus 4 all the way for me.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I had the GS3 and it's a very nice phone. I'm regret selling it now. I was going to keep it when I bought a Iphone 5 but the Iphone's sim card couldn't use data on the S3. The Gnex uses data on any GSM sim card I put in it. I guess I could have tried to unlock the S3, I ran a AOKP rom on it and loved it. Looking back I wish I hadn't wasted time getting the Iphone 5.

If your in the UK, the only adavatage the S3 has over the N4 is storage and, I don't blame you for choosing the N4. Phil is correct though about the software being a wash. The only thing about that is, it takes time. I spent a ot of time on the XDA forums (still do) and it took a few weeks for the AOKP rom to reach the level of usability I preferred. With a Nexus phone it's working right out of the box, pure Android. I rarely even root Nexus phones but, that's just me.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 4. I currently have a GS3 and want the Google Android experience without having to root or do anything else. N4 should be a great phone even without LTE. I'm gonna have the GS3 as a back up until I decide which phone I want to keep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo