Best Anti-Theft App for Nexus 4

anon(580888)

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes, of course I could easily Google (and I have several times), but I'd like to get a definitive answer for this phone.

I lost my Galaxy Nexus at a concert a month ago, and it was pretty devastating (the concert was great though, any "The Weeknd" lovers on the board?).

Now that I'm going to get the Nexus 4, I absolutely want to ensure that never happens to me again.

I paid for "Where's My Droid" (after losing my GNex, of course), and have it installed on my Pantech Flex and Nexus 7. It seems to work pretty well, but I want to hear from people on the board what is absolutely the best anti-theft app.

bblaze

Android Powered Human
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I like the features that Avast! mobile security offers. Plus it's free. But that is just my opinion. The software is best used on a rooted device as more features are open to you. Nothing is going to stop the phone from being lost or stolen, but the options available in Avast! help to mitigate the fallout (phone wipe/lock through SMS, phone tracking through GPS, etc). Plus you get a decent firewall and AV protection all rolled into one. Just my $.02.

N3RDKING

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Big "The Weeknd" Fan. His trilogy comes out the same day as the Nexus 4....like it was meant to be.

Edit: I've never had an android phone, so I can't actually help with what you asked about lol.

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I have been pretty happy with SeekDroid. I have never lost my phone but the app functioned as advertised in all my tests.

Cheers

bblaze

Android Powered Human
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: AW: Best Anti-Theft App for Nexus 4

And what can you do of you root your phone?
Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

While rooted, many programs will let you bury the anti-theft portion of the program within the OS, making it undetectable to the naked eye. This is beneficial if your phone gets stolen by a moron because it will not appear to have any anti-theft software on it. However, if your phone is stolen by anyone that is competent with phones they'll already know to wipe the phone and remove any software that was on it. Rooting will also let you perform more low level wiping functions remotely through SMS or through the vendor's website. This is beneficial for keeping your data secured in the event of a lost or stolen phone.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: AW: Best Anti-Theft App for Nexus 4

I've adopted Cerberus, which gives you 5 devices on a lifetime license fee of < US$5.00. Many many great features, granted the device connects to a network, any network. E.g. takes a pic and sends it to you if someone tries to unlock the phone. Worth trying.

They have an installer which you can sideload which disguises the app so that a casual thief wouldn't see it, looks like a system service.

anon(580888)

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Big "The Weeknd" Fan. His trilogy comes out the same day as the Nexus 4....like it was meant to be.

Edit: I've never had an android phone, so I can't actually help with what you asked about lol.

Even though I have all his mixtapes, I'm still buying the Trilogy. While I was disappointed he didn't play XO / The Host (easily my favorite song of his, next to The Zone... obviously), he was still amazing in concert. Highly recommend seeing him live if you haven't already. Just don't get too trashed like I did and lose your phone while recording the concert (which none of the videos uploaded to Google+... WTF?!)

chrisjcks

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Actually phonelocator pro is the best, and the original.

Cerburus is nothing but a copy, with less features.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

raazman

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Actually phonelocator pro is the best, and the original.

Cerburus is nothing but a copy, with less features.

What kind of features does phonelocator pro have that Cerberus doesn't?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2

russd1979

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Last edited:

chrisjcks

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Possibly, but the reviewing community doesn't seem to agree. Also, why is it not compatible with a Nexus 7? I prefer 1 app for all of my devices.

I'll add that the developer has been very responsive. According to some of the reviews, that doesn't seem to be the case with plp.

Maybe because its a phone locator. Lol

I've watched over the years, phonelocator thinks of a feature, applies it and Cerberus copy it - usually badly.

PLP is the original, top support and constantly trying to improve and add features instead of copying the competition.

I believe its also cheaper too I think.

Cerberus doesn't even work on my HTC ONE X, lock codes get sent but it doesn't lock to passcode, a simple Swype unlocks it.

But, I'm not bitter by choices - I may give Cerberus another test run just to check.

anon(580888)

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Maybe because its a phone locator. Lol

I've watched over the years, phonelocator thinks of a feature, applies it and Cerberus copy it - usually badly.

PLP is the original, top support and constantly trying to improve and add features instead of copying the competition.

I believe its also cheaper too I think.

Cerberus doesn't even work on my HTC ONE X, lock codes get sent but it doesn't lock to passcode, a simple Swype unlocks it.

But, I'm not bitter by choices - I may give Cerberus another test run just to check.

I took a look at PhoneLocatorPro, and it's got a pretty similar feature set. I like that it automatically locks the phone when an unregistered SIM card is placed. Didn't see Cerberus have that feature, although Cerberus does seem to send you an alert of some kind when an unauthorized SIM is used (ideally it'd be location, a picture, and details on the unauthorized SIM. That'd be awesome to give to the cops).

Still leaning towards Cerberus, specifically because it has tablet support. But this has been a good thread with lots of options thrown around so far.

chrisjcks

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I took a look at PhoneLocatorPro, and it's got a pretty similar feature set. I like that it automatically locks the phone when an unregistered SIM card is placed. Didn't see Cerberus have that feature, although Cerberus does seem to send you an alert of some kind when an unauthorized SIM is used (ideally it'd be location, a picture, and details on the unauthorized SIM. That'd be awesome to give to the cops).

Still leaning towards Cerberus, specifically because it has tablet support. But this has been a good thread with lots of options thrown around so far.

PL sends the alerts too, call logs, photo, location etc too

Even uploading captured photos, audio captures to dropbox for you as backups

Like I said, PL added all this stuff first