Best Anti-Theft App for Nexus 4

chrisjcks

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Cerberus is actually the cheaper of the two. its only by like $1 and change but it is cheaper.

Ok, it was last time I looked. Lol

but PL is the original, it does have more features and has a professional looking interface and web tracking services.

Cerburus is rather basic in design, for app and web tracking (and it fails to work properly on the ONE X :/)

But, have a look at both - choices are good for everyone I suppose.

I may even have another look at cerburus to compare.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

SCXR

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I use Webroot SecureAnywhere Mobile Premier. It requires your password to uninstall it and it locks the phone if the sim card is changed, requiring your password to unlock it.

russd1979

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, I think I may go with PhoneLocator Pro instead of Cerberus. PhoneLocator Pro has the option to have the photos uploaded to a dropbox account rather than being emailed which means the thief wouldn't see email alerts coming through. Plus it seems to have some nice features and the root install seems simpler than Cerberus.

Last edited:

Ricky2009

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, I think I may go with PhoneLocator Pro instead of Cerberus. I have read on another forum that even with a rooted phone the GPS wouldn't turn on with Cerberus, although it may just be that one person's device. Also Cerberus sends the photo via email, which then shows up on the phone of course and can be deleted, whereas PhoneLocator Pro has the option to have the photos uploaded to a dropbox account.
hmm didnt think about that with the emailing the photo i guess youd have to snag it up quick befor they delted it. the dropbox would be the way to do it. If chrisjcks is right cerberus should bring this feature in the next update. lol

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
... Both seem good, plus they're free. Although looking at Cerberus I can see it has way more features - the sim card checker and the take a picture/send a message options look great. I might switch now I've read up on it!
I can attest to this ... I've gotten a few pics of myself, my car interior, after some on-the-go attempts to unlock with the incorrect PIN. The phone shows no indication at all, but then my email has a great pic of whoever was trying to unlock (me). ;)

Hmm, I think I may go with PhoneLocator Pro instead of Cerberus. PhoneLocator Pro has the option to have the photos uploaded to a dropbox account rather than being emailed which means the thief wouldn't see email alerts coming through. Plus it seems to have some nice features and the root install seems simpler than Cerberus.

Have Cerberus send the messages to a different mailbox than you normally use on the device. ;) It helps if you have your own domain(s), of course.

russd1979

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Sounds good. I'm a little put off PhoneLocator Pro after reading the responses on this page. Bad comments explained | PhoneLocator Pro
I get why he is defensive, because he has worked hard and people might spend a few minutes with the app and then rate it badly, but his tone doesn't come across as terribly professional.

Cerberus looks like the one I'll try - and as ChromeJob suggests, I'll set it to email another account. My only concern is how easy it is to get the root features working after I root the phone. Hopefully its not too hard :)

russd1979

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I think what jamesey10 means... can it survive a factory reset. Apparently it can if its installed on a rooted phone and in the right way... not entirely sure how its done though.

jamesey10

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Why would you want to disable a factory reset?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2

The first thing a phone thief would try to do is go into factory settings and try to run a "factory reset." This resets the phone to the state you bought it in, except with whatever version of Android you had. All apps, photos, videos, files, and files that didnt come with the phone get erased. So if Cerebrus (or any of the apps) can do that, I'd like that feature.

I bring this up because my tablet (asus transformer prime) was stolen in europe last month. It was the one time I brought it outside my home, and I had never used a locksreen with it. I did have lookout installed, but by the time I could get to a computer and track it, the theif had done a factory reset and wiped all the apps off it. Of course I've learned my lesson. Always have a lock screen. That would have given me a fighting chance.

Syrential

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
As great as all these softwares sound, if someone, somewhat intelligent steals your phone you're still the big loser.
Google seriously needs to work on this, it's something that needs to come standard with Android and coupled with the serial number and all the other fancy hardcoded stuff of the phone, that way a stupid theft will never feel safe.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
If your rooted Cerberus would be your best bet. It works even after a factory reset or if the thief flashes a new ROM.

It does cost money however, but I think its a one time fee.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

chrisjcks

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Here are some pics for you to compare.

adygaqy3.jpg

uby8yby4.jpg

azedezeh.jpg

9u4y9eba.jpg

udu3epaq.jpg

a4azudam.jpg

etu9ute9.jpg

aju8a9u6.jpg

jareqevy.jpg

a4u8y3ed.jpg

2a2y3e7a.jpg

ymu8u9e3.jpg

nusavyze.jpg

zavu3u8a.jpg

e7udutuz.jpg

ysebusyn.jpg

7ebyzyne.jpg

gutymuty.jpg

u8y6apy5.jpg

Enjoy.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

russd1979

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I have been looking on the Cerberus and PLP websites about installing it as a system app on a rooted device.

Cerberus
If you have rooted your device you can integrate Cerberus into your ROM and get two additional features: complete uninstall protection (Cerberus will even survive a wipe/factory reset) and GPS auto-enabling even on Android 2.3.3 and later. To have these features uninstall Cerberus, then download cerberus.zip, put it on the sd card and install it from recovery. Cerberus is also available on ROM Manager.
https://www.cerberusapp.com/help.php

But I was just going to root the phone and keep the stock recovery so the phone can update as normal. PLP says you can do it like this:

PhoneLocator Pro
PhoneLocator Pro must be installed as system application, in order to auto enable GPS
Move the com.rvo.plpro-1.apk from /data/app, to system/app with an app like Root Explorer.
Restart your device. Done !
Help | PhoneLocator Pro

PLP seems simpler to me. Does anyone use either of these on a rooted device? If so, how easy is it to install it as a system app. Also, when it updates do you need to manually update the root version?

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463