Nexus 4 as backup/second phone?

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys, was thinking of getting a nexus 4 as a backup/second phone on rogers in canada to my sammy s3. Wanted to get your opinion on some freed back:

- Should I wait for an LTE version? Like the fact that it is HSPA+ and doesnt suck my battery, but LTE on S3 is amazing.
- Love google now. Have it on Nexus 7 and want it on official google software.
- Dont like the fact that only internal storage is available.
- The price is amazing for what the Nexus 4 is, which is very compelling.

These are some of the pros/cons i have before making a decision. I think the with google now on it, the Nexus 4 might become my primary phone.
Thanks

Ricky2009

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I say go for it if you like it keep it and maybe make it you primary phone. If you don't go back to the S3 and if your lucky maybe they'll go outa stock and you can actually make money selling to someone who didn't get one and doesn't want to wait. haha

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys, was thinking of getting a nexus 4 as a backup/second phone on rogers in canada to my sammy s3. Wanted to get your opinion on some freed back:

- Should I wait for an LTE version? Like the fact that it is HSPA+ and doesnt suck my battery, but LTE on S3 is amazing.
- Love google now. Have it on Nexus 7 and want it on official google software.
- Dont like the fact that only internal storage is available.
- The price is amazing for what the Nexus 4 is, which is very compelling.

These are some of the pros/cons i have before making a decision. I think the with google now on it, the Nexus 4 might become my primary phone.
Thanks

- LTE wont come to nexus 4
- then buy nexus 4
- i dont really care about internal storage. 16 Gb is more than enough
- yes, it is. thats why i am buying one when it comes out.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
- LTE wont come to nexus 4
- then buy nexus 4
- i dont really care about internal storage. 16 Gb is more than enough
- yes, it is. thats why i am buying one when it comes out.

Are your needs and desires for a phone universal to everyone? Or do you think those things vary from individual to individual?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Do you really need a second phone? i thought second phones were just peoples OLD phones.

Depending on lifestyle yes, a second phone can be extremely helpful.

My job has me out over the road for close to 70 hours per week. I always have a backup phone fully charged and ready to go.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

My job has me out over the road for close to 70 hours per week. I always have a backup phone fully charged and ready to go.

Good point, Yeah enough. I know one person who set themselves up, retired then became a truckie just as a casual job. Got stuck one day and this was when the n96 when they were new and same day got 2 (95's) as backups. So I guess i didn't think of that.

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site

Sometimes I go through a phone once every year from all the wear and tear. But having a second phone may help a lot.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Good point, Yeah enough. I know one person who set themselves up, retired then became a truckie just as a casual job. Got stuck one day and this was when the n96 when they were new and same day got 2 (95's) as backups. So I guess i didn't think of that.

Exactly. When you are out over the road you have to be prepared. There have been times when I have been stranded on the side of the road broken down. Depending on what is wrong with the truck, you may not be able charge your phone off the trucks batteries. If you have already been using your phone for half of a day, it will not last that long.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Are your needs and desires for a phone universal to everyone? Or do you think those things vary from individual to individual?

I never said my opinion should be accepted by everyone. i gave answers for all question and the only opinion i gave was about the internal storage.

wahoo25

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Heres my opinion. Back up N4 is a dumb ass idea. If you are worried about running out of a battery keep your S3 and buy a couple extra batteries for the price of a N4. Want a backup phone? Buy a cheapo one that is not worriesome if you A) loose it B) gets stolen C) break.

Really want a Nexus4? Sell the S3 and buy a freaking generator and hook up a Qi to it.

EDIT: the only logic I see to having two smart phones is if you break one, you have a backup for maps/email/browser etc data apps. Or if you have one for personal and 1 for business.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I think it's a good idea & for the price, go for it.

I myself have a couple backups as well - 4, 4S & 2 crappy ones - BB Curve 3G & Lumia 610.
They're strictly used for visitors from other countries (sister from Europe & brother from NYC for example) each with maybe a week of mileage...and I suppose if my primary device breaks I can use one but soon my GNex will become my personal backup device for when I get a Nexus 4.

I also have 2 backup SIMs (a micro & a standard) with active plans for when people visit. Both SIMs cost a total together about 200$/year.

Is it ideal? No. Is it convenient? Very. When visitors come they know they don't need to pay crazy roaming or get their devices unlocked to use a local SIM - they know I've got them covered.
Could I give them an old flip-phone instead? Sure but who wants to carry those even when just visiting?! And for 200$/year, the convenience is worth it to me. Will everyone agree? No, but that's them. My friends do similar as I do with their visitors.

All that said, will I upgrade those backups? Most likely not.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Replacing your S3 with the N4 would be a better idea. If your only getting the N4 to keep it for when your S3 breaks then thats kinda silly. I'm replacing my S3 with the N4 and giving the S3 to my girlfriend who wants to replace her phone with the S3 .

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Replacing your S3 with the N4 would be a better idea. If your only getting the N4 to keep it for when your S3 breaks then thats kinda silly. I'm replacing my S3 with the N4 and giving the S3 to my girlfriend who wants to replace her phone with the S3 .
Good bloke, with my old phone i was meant to do that with my girlfriend. Shame the reason I am getting the Nexus is because my phone broke, guess she will be stuck with an nokia brick till she buys the iPhone, however for Nexus lovers I might have converted one to the Android (dark) side. She was looking at the N4 as i told her I was getting it, her brothers looked at it was like "**** thats better then my sII maybe you should get that" and now shes waiting to see what it is like when i get it." Only problem is i will be killed if her's brakes.

Heres my opinion. Back up N4 is a dumb ass idea. If you are worried about running out of a battery keep your S3 and buy a couple extra batteries for the price of a N4. Want a backup phone? Buy a cheapo one that is not worriesome if you A) loose it B) gets stolen C) break.

EDIT: the only logic I see to having two smart phones is if you break one, you have a backup for maps/email/browser etc data apps. Or if you have one for personal and 1 for business.

Agreed, back up batteries if thats the fear, maybe a cheaper maps phone if thats the reason you need a N4 (or a gps) or just Nokia's they last for days.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
If you have the money to waste, then sure. Go for it. My Nexus is going to be my primary and I'm making my G2x my backup. If I had the S3 and money to burn, though, I'd probably do the same as you, but then choose my primary/backup based on which phone I like using more.