Phone number on Straight Talk

robbob42

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I've looked all over the prepaid forums, but still haven't been able to find the answer to this one specific question: I DON'T want to keep my current phone number, and I'm planning on getting a Nexus 4 with Straight Talk (live in the sticks, have to be on AT&T's network). When I get the SIM from Straight Talk and activate it with the phone, will they assign me a new number? All the information that I see talks about making sure you can port your old number. Can someone verify that sans porting an old number, I will still be assigned a new one and I can now use that/point my Google Voice number at it?

From a long time lurker, first time poster: thanks guys!

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
From what I have researched, most of the posts are about porting a current carrier number to Google Voice so you can jump around to different pre-paid carriers without having to give people a different number. So from that I would assume that when you start straight talk it does give you a new number. Maybe someone will be able to give you hard evidence about this but that is what I have picked up from my findings on the subject.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes, if you activate a Straight Talk phone or SIM, you will be issued a new phone number unless you ask for your old one to be ported.

robbob42

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Ya, I figured it'd be common knowledge. I've been on my old dumb phone with TracFone for so long, I don't remember what I did when I first activated it!

Thanks for the answers, everybody! Excited to order tomorrow and enter the worlds of Smartphones and Nexusessss... Nexi... Google phones!

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
While I evaluate my Nexus 4 with Straight Talk AT&T, I'm keeping my current GS2 on Trudge active so I'm not caught out without a known quantity phone. I'm going to direct my Google Voice number (which is on my biz cards) to whatever number the ST deals me and when I'm ready to cut the cord with Trudge, will pay the $40 to Google to port in my old cell number and keep my GV number ($20 each). If it wasn't for a handful of people that I'm not sure would catch a move to a pure GV number, I'd just walk on the old number. Yeah, a hassle and expense, but the savings over what I'm paying Trudge (~$30/mo) will make up for that in 1-1/3 months. Boo hoo.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I wonder what the churn rate is for ST? When I got my current phone # on an old T-Mo dumbphone ages ago, for a time I was getting several wrong # calls as people who had the previous number holder's digits were winnowed out. They eventually tailed off and now I just get genuine fat-finger misdials. I'm not sure if I'm going to like answering a new round of calls asking "Fat Boy" if "the lumber has arrived?" :confused:

donec

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Why not get a GV number and just forward the straight talk number to it then if you change carriers you keep your number and it is free. A lot of times when you get a new number it is a number that someone else had and it may be from some dead beat that never paid their bills and you end up getting all the collection calls looking for them. With a GV number it is real easy to block those numbers so they only call you once.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
But how do you get and send mms with a Google voice number?

SMS works, but Google Voice doesn't support MMS at this time. I just send MMS's from the regular texting app on whatever phone I'm using, it goes out through that phone number but I add *sent from Chris's work phone* and everyone figures it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs