The straws that broke the camel's back... Why the Nexus 4 isn't for me

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Good points brought up. I'm not crazy about Chrome as it stands today, either. Not going to leave Android over it, though.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Can't you just install a different browser and a different messaging app to accomplish what you want? I think ChompSMS supports group messaging if i'm not mistaken.

Oh I should have kept reading, you said you didn't like the 3rd party apps. OK then.

Hmm, some of the 3rd party Apps are much better than the stock ones so i dont get that. Handecnt is much better than the stock message app imo, but, to each their own.

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Holy jazz hands Batman! So, I accidentally ordered a Nexus 4 and just discovered that issue number 2 is fixed! Google added proper group texting support in Android 4.2! :D

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, some of the 3rd party Apps are much better than the stock ones so i dont get that. Handecnt is much better than the stock message app imo, but, to each their own.
I prefer the stock texting app in my opinion. I hate the free texting apps layouts, thats just me though. I also have no need as i have free texting.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
The first point is a weak argument. I'm sure it's not hard to get the old stock browser on the Nexus 4. Not only that, there are plenty of GOOD alternative browsers on the Android market.

As for the second point, that's just a matter of opinion. I ing hate when people with iPhone send me group texts, because then I get replies from people I don't know. When I send mass texts, I don't mean to start a big discussion with a bunch of people. I do it so I can get the same message out to a bunch of people and discuss it with them individually. Again, a matter of opinion.

And in reply to the post directly above mine.... I prefer the stock texting app in ICS and JB over third party ones. In Gingerbread, though, give me GO SMS any day of the week.

HTCTundaBow

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, it's obvious you need to stick with iOS. Android is not for simple minded iPhone users. It does require some customization to fit your style. Your reasons for disliking Android are easily fixable with a little personalization.

despenla

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I am on the edge after purchasing the Galaxy Note II, for two reasons: (1) your number 2 in that there is no Reply-All option or auto setting for Group MMS messages. I find it hard to believe that they would leave this out. and (2) the fact that the power on/off button is positioned exactly om the opposite side of the case from the volume buttons. Doesn't anyone in the device design or testing worlds operate either set of functions by placing fingers on opposing sides of the device? Wow! What a huge design flaw. Still these are not enough to force me to search on another device, I still like it more than my iPhone, but am hoping for better in the future.

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I am on the edge after purchasing the Galaxy Note II, for two reasons: (1) your number 2 in that there is no Reply-All option or auto setting for Group MMS messages. I find it hard to believe that they would leave this out. and (2) the fact that the power on/off button is positioned exactly om the opposite side of the case from the volume buttons. Doesn't anyone in the device design or testing worlds operate either set of functions by placing fingers on opposing sides of the device? Wow! What a huge design flaw. Still these are not enough to force me to search on another device, I still like it more than my iPhone, but am hoping for better in the future.

I dont see the problem with that. Thats how it is on my GS3 as well. It isnt an issue. Why is that an issue for you? Im not patronizing or anything, im just curious. Ive seen some others complaining about the power button being on top of some other devices...like i think the HTC 8X put it there, or maybe it was the Lumia 920. Just dont see the issue with that either. Where the power button is is a non issue imo. I turn mine off every night and charge it but most never turn it off so i dont get the complaining.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't anyone in the device design or testing worlds operate either set of functions by placing fingers on opposing sides of the device? Wow! What a huge design flaw. .

Do you have small hands? When I hold the phone in my palm, my thumb hits a good 2 or so inches higher on the phone than my index finger does.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
You express some good points that are very valid concerns. I will be moving from an iOS platform back to the Android platform with the release of the N4. There are many points where my iPhone and iOS 6 is superior in areas to the Android OS nd Jellybean but likewise there are some great components of Jellybean 4.1.1 or the newer 4.2 release that beat out iOS 6.

I did a comparitive breakdown on whay I like and use in my N7 on Jellybean and what I like and use on iOS 6 and in this round I have decided there are more positive reasons to switch to the N4 at this point than there are positive reasons to stay with my current iPhone. But with the competitive nature of the smartphone industry and new OS clients being released and developed that could always change.

The biggest piece I will regret loosing is the Find My iPhone App, my wife will keep her iPhone and we use this app since she works on the road and it is a nice security app to always have her location tracked. Hopefully with some research we can find a cross platform app that will allow us to still do this with the internal GPS in the devices.

Great post, I have wanted to be able to combine the best features of several devices for a long time to come up with the ultimate phone for me.

The Android lost app is a great solution.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Good points brought up. I'm not crazy about Chrome as it stands today, either. Not going to leave Android over it, though.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA

Panasonic Eluga? Kewl. How's this phone working for you?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I prefer the stock texting app in my opinion. I hate the free texting apps layouts, thats just me though. I also have no need as i have free texting.

I love Go SMS, but isn't it nice that we have many choices?

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Each to his own and not judging, but with android you are in no way dependent on stock apps like ios. You download a browser, set it to default, disable the other one and you never have to think about it again. Same thing with messaging.

Also just a note. Every manufacturer skin has multi person messaging support that i know of. Just not stock Android.

If you chose another phone besides the nexus, both of these issues would be fixed, so why not look at the other flagships?

Not arguing, just pointing to things out...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Agree with this X 1000000000!!! I, however, decided not to let me friends' phones dictate what phone I have, so I'll live with it and hope they add it, as it is a software capability. I completely understand it though! I had to think it over for several days, before I decided "No, I'm going to get the phone I want."

group messging has been included in 4.2 so that point is invalid.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I dont see the problem with that. Thats how it is on my GS3 as well. It isnt an issue. Why is that an issue for you? Im not patronizing or anything, im just curious. Ive seen some others complaining about the power button being on top of some other devices...like i think the HTC 8X put it there, or maybe it was the Lumia 920. Just dont see the issue with that either. Where the power button is is a non issue imo. I turn mine off every night and charge it but most never turn it off so i dont get the complaining.

i totally agree with you. try taking a screenshot with one hand by pressing volume down + power button!! having power button at top you need 2 hands to do it.
its a very good design imo.

see comment above.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Is the group MMS feature option enabled by default or does a Nexus 4 user have to dig into the stock messaging app's settings to enable it?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01