The "I'm waiting for sales to go live" thread

WhiskeyRodeo

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Though I agree an official release time would have been a beautiful thing.

As a few of you had mentioned, projections are the biggest issue. Google has developed and released this phone based on their view of todays market. The same goes for their inventory levels. A company will order enough product to cover their projected inventory requirements, however it is often wiser for them to err on the conservative side. They can order more product, and though it does leave some customers frustrated, it makes more financial sense than over producing a product which can leave them with excess inventory. This inventory depreciates rapidly...resulting in higher overhead costs...which trickles down to consumers.

Syrential

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Frankly, one of the biggest companies in the world who's rise to fame came from the most popular search engine should be able to handle me refreshing their page. Their problem, not mine.

In the end it is your problem, if you fail to order it because of that.
It's not about refreshing it, it's just everyone storming the website at the same time, which is heavily increased by people being immediately notified by the scripts.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Had Google just made it available for everybody at the time of their announcement I am sure that their servers could have handled the volume and simply shipped them as a FCFS type of deal. I don't understand this waiting till a certain date and crashing your website type mentality. Amazon could handle it, but Google is very new at this and can't seem to figure it out. They have roughly 6 ish items up for sale atm in their store and only one of them can be purchased right now.

squadz

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
In the end it is your problem, if you fail to order it because of that.
It's not about refreshing it, it's just everyone storming the website at the same time, which is heavily increased by people being immediately notified by the scripts.

It'll be very difficult for me to fail to order one. I'm going to have me and my co-worker spamming as soon as it's up, and if I end up ordering more than 1, so be it. I'll simply sell them to someone here. I'm not about to stop my scripts and risk losing the device, Google chose this route and I'm making the best of it.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
They are thinking that the local launch team who has to support and maintain the web site might be able to come in at a reasonable time and be at full staff, fresh and alert, so they can manage the server load? They are thinking that fulfillment can't really start until mid-morning so the trucks can roll at the end of the day? They are thinking that they can have a full phone staff for order-related questions without paying night differential?

Not everyone sets product launches at times where your entire staff has to shamble in bleary-eyed and then deal with nasty customers with a sense of entitlement.

A sense of entitlement has nothing to do with it, at least not with me.

Syrential

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
It'll be very difficult for me to fail to order one. I'm going to have me and my co-worker spamming as soon as it's up, and if I end up ordering more than 1, so be it. I'll simply sell them to someone here. I'm not about to stop my scripts and risk losing the device, Google chose this route and I'm making the best of it.

I was running the scripts as well. I was there like a second after, but my purchase didn't want to go through, and when I tried again it was completely down with tons of different error messages, completely horrible.
It's just sad that the item suddenly disappears out of your basket, that's the biggest fail of Google ever. And what sucked even more is, that you could order so many devices, I assume tons of people went to purchase up to 5 devices to just sell them on eBay now, and looking on eBay just proves my theory. There are tons of new "Nexus 4" on eBay now, selling for more than 500!!! Euros. That's seriously ridiculous.

squadz

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I was running the scripts as well. I was there like a second after, but my purchase didn't want to go through, and when I tried again it was completely down with tons of different error messages, completely horrible.
It's just sad that the item suddenly disappears out of your basket, that's the biggest fail of Google ever. And what sucked even more is, that you could order so many devices, I assume tons of people went to purchase up to 5 devices to just sell them on eBay now, and looking on eBay just proves my theory. There are tons of new "Nexus 4" on eBay now, selling for more than 500!!! Euros. That's seriously ridiculous.

Exactly. At least if I were to end up with extra devices I'd sell them at cost to people here that weren't able to get them. I'm not looking to make money on other peoples misfortunes.

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I think greedy opportunistic resellers are going to cause a lot of problems. Google should limit purchases to two nexus devices per person until a later date when stock and demand are in sync.

Otherwise, we'll see the Nexus 4 disappear before most can even load the page yet see eBay flooded with overpriced listings. (Which is what happened in Europe.)

Google WISE UP! Limit purchases and prepare your servers for the load. It's that simple.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Saiga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad to be in living EST. I woke up this morning and needed to run to the bank to deposit some money. Banks don't open till 9am here, so by the time I got home they would probably already be sold. lol

Now I'm relaxing in front of the PC, listening to some music and periodically checking the page while I wait for noon to come.

Fearless Freep

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I fear there's gonna be a lot of miffed people when Noon(9a PT) rolls around and the N4 isn't on sale. I'm OK with that as long as they take the extra time to correct the ordering fiasco.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

You are not allowed to fear. Your name says so ;)

If it doesn't go up for sale around noon I'm going to officially start my day off. I've done all the work I can at my computer (paying bills, sending long overdue emails, and just mucking about) that I can possibly do.

C'mon Google...12 EST...don't be evil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36