buying bundles of n4 to sell overpriced makes me angry

Ziptied

Your Resident Googler
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: buying bundels of n4 to sell overpriced makes me angry

lol wut? Ya, that's the issue here. I don't understand how the exchange of fiat currency for goods and services functions in a modern economy. Spot on.

fiat currency?

Which essentially means no limits whatsoever, other than the limiting factor of a bogged server because of the massive traffic.

I suppose you think the 5 week wait for an iphone5 is so much better?

I am quite sure there are ways for scalpers to circumvent quantity controls. But one easy way to take care of that is to limit by shipping address. There will still be scalpers, sure. But that alone would reduce scalping immensely.

My question is, does Google not care that it pissed off a lot of customers because of poor planning? I'm not an Apple fanboy. I love Google, I love my Nexus One. I am very committed to Google. But I wasted hours of my day trying to get a product and was completely unsuccessful. Google hasn't apologized for wasting my time, and that's the least they could do. Rather, I get told to "stop whining" and that I "don't understand how sales work."

They do care, but Google didn't waste your time, the site was bogged, it happens and you missed out for now. My own order is tied up and im not whining and complaining. I know it needs to be better, but in all honesty this is the trend with nexus launches, it sucks and I've griped my fair share at work over it, but there's nothing I or you can do presently.

Pseu

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
LMFAO Review the release of the first iPhone. Apple set the price high, lowered it mere weeks later... a pissed off a LOT of fans and customers. Lousy salesmanship.

Yup. And the not-very-bright people who fussed at Apple for that entirely-reasonable policy deserve a share of the blame for Google's launch-day fiasco with the N4. (Plenty more blame to go around to other parties, of course.)

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
True, but there's a difference (a large one) between setting a price wrong and rolling it back, and setting a tiered release price to start with ($600 the first week, $500 the second week, $400 the third week, then $300 from that point forward).

Of course, tiered pricing coupled with a return policy is a recipe for disaster. Many people will buy it at $600, re-buy it at $500 then return the $600 one, re-buy it at $400 and return the $500 one, etc etc until you are now left with 4 refurb items for each actual one sold and no relief to your demand spike or inventory shortage each time you lower the price.

They could just freeze any return policies until the 4th week is past and then no one can screw them or the system. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
haha, all those ppl who ordered phone to sell on ebay are probably pissed off right now. many of the orders are in backorder. they won't be able to deliver their phones. ebay rating going down. got what they deserve.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

runningman3433

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
has anyone used amazon goldbox lightnign deals? Amazon only sells their allotment and has limits in place. I actually think amazon is a better company technology wise than google.

GOOGLE absoultey had an epic failure of sellign these bad boys.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
has anyone used amazon goldbox lightnign deals? Amazon only sells their allotment and has limits in place. I actually think amazon is a better company technology wise than google.

GOOGLE absoultey had an epic failure of sellign these bad boys.

Let's see.

Google's core is search.

Amazon's core is sales.

I wonder who would be better at online sales.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
As I've said elsewhere, "Google should partner with Amazon to sell the pure Android Nexus devices ... oh ... um. Nevermind."

stinkyfischer

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I bought one for myself, but when i noticed how much they were selling for on ebay I listed mine asa buy it now for $530 (ebay claimed avg selling price was $650) . It sold in 20 min.

Why not make a hundred dollars to help pay for my Sprint ETF? If someone is too impatient to wait I could use an extra $100.

However when the emails came out today about the back orders I emailed my buyer and asked if they wanted to cancel and they did. It does not matter to me either way. I would love to have a shiny new Nexus 4 in my hands, but if you offer me $100-200 to wait a month I will gladly take your money.

I also don't understand why people are so upset about back orders. The nexus 7 launch was very similar.
At least we dont have to wait outside for a week to buy a new device.

Supply and Demand. The Nexus 4 "scalpers" do not bother me at all. At least there will be more made. once a concert sells out that is usually it, minus a few small blocks of tickets that sold later.

leroy_sunset

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: buying bundels of n4 to sell overpriced makes me angry

They do care, but Google didn't waste your time, the site was bogged, it happens and you missed out for now. My own order is tied up and im not whining and complaining. I know it needs to be better, but in all honesty this is the trend with nexus launches, it sucks and I've griped my fair share at work over it, but there's nothing I or you can do presently.

Listen, I appreciate your responses in the thread. I understand the impulse to reflexively defend Google. They do a lot of awesome stuff and I don't think they get nearly enough credit. I do see them as the Jedi of the tech world.

But come on. Preorders. Limits. This isn't hard. But Google seems to think this system works. As their customers, we should let them know this isn't acceptable. If we don't, how will they ever know to change?

I hate to say it, but when I preordered the iPhone 3G back in the day, at least I had a definite window in which I would receive my device. Sure I had to wait 3 weeks. But I knew what to expect, I got it when AT&T said I would, and I didn't waste hours of my life trying to track one down. With the N4, we have no idea how long we have to wait before the store gets restocked and the EXACT SAME CRAZY RUN will happen as on launch day. Nothing will have changed. Who knows, I might not get a shot at a device until next year. Seriously. Next year. I'd be freaking happy with a tied up order. At least I would have a time frame.