Precious screen space being used by virtual buttons...

D3lit3

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
What is your take on this? I was pretty disappointed when I saw this - the virtual buttons take up WAY too much screen real estate, effectively reducing screen size to 4.5-6". Will there potentially be a way to circumvent or override by hacking something in the device in the future? Do you care at all?

Neo42

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Full screen apps can hide the nav bar. Also, yes, there are plenty ROMs that have nav bar hiding support built in. The problem is once the navigation is hidden.. well.. your navigation is gone.

mazzmoney95

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I like that. But it would be a cool mod for you to get rid of the buttons and make gestures your buttons instead (3 finger pinch to go home, 2 finger swipe from the left to go back and 2 finger swipe from the right to go to recent apps). Cool thought Imo.

Fearless Freep

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
It's that way with the Nexus 7 as well. Quite honestly, I don't even notice it. I think it makes the front cleaner with no capacitive buttons.

ctechnow

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I dont' care that the buttons take up real estate. The only time I really want full screen is for pics/videos and I've never noticed that I'm losing any screen space. It's a very clean look in my opinion, when you go buttonless you can't really go back.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Oh good news all around then :). As long as pics and vids are full screen it's all gravy.

Some of this depends on the application, of course. When I first got my Nexus 7, thinks like MX Player left the navigation buttons up. Then they issued a JB patch that issued whatever command is necessary to hide the nav buttons, and it's been a full-screen love story since. I watch a video using the WHOLE screen with no navigation whatsoever. If I need to interact, I tap anywhere on the screen, and my bottom nav buttons and all the MD Player controls slide in place and the video rescales down to fit on the remaining screen. A few seconds later, back to full screen.

There may be some older video or gallery or other applications that are not aware that they need to ask for fullscreen. But they'll be fewer and further between in time.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm happy with on screen buttons with my Nexus 7 and I'm sure I'll like it just as much on my Nexus 4. Non issue. Capacitive buttons suck.

D3lit3

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Some of this depends on the application, of course. When I first got my Nexus 7, thinks like MX Player left the navigation buttons up. Then they issued a JB patch that issued whatever command is necessary to hide the nav buttons, and it's been a full-screen love story since. I watch a video using the WHOLE screen with no navigation whatsoever. If I need to interact, I tap anywhere on the screen, and my bottom nav buttons and all the MD Player controls slide in place and the video rescales down to fit on the remaining screen. A few seconds later, back to full screen.

There may be some older video or gallery or other applications that are not aware that they need to ask for fullscreen. But they'll be fewer and further between in time.

Thank you for clearing that up. In that case I'm really glad they didn't add physical buttons as it looks so futuristic and streamlined without them.

ctfrommn

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
It would be nice if there was a way to add a separate "screen" in the unused bottom area to do nothing but accommodate on screen buttons.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I'd rather have no buttons.

Makes going back to the homescreen rather hard, doesn't it?

Or are you talking about some gesture like a three-finger swipe or somesuch being used consistently to get to the home screen. Which would, admittedly, be cool. However, if you think people complain about Android being unapproachable today...

"How do I run an application?".
"Oh, it's quite simple. Stroke downward on the screen once with three fingers, then sideways with two fingers to open the apps menu, then draw the symbol for that guy who used to be called "Prince" to run Chrome, trace out a Mandelbrot fractal to run Gmail, and draw out Escher's "Waterfall" in full detail to run Facebook."

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Makes going back to the homescreen rather hard, doesn't it?

Or are you talking about some gesture like a three-finger swipe or somesuch being used consistently to get to the home screen. Which would, admittedly, be cool. However, if you think people complain about Android being unapproachable today...

"How do I run an application?".
"Oh, it's quite simple. Stroke downward on the screen once with three fingers, then sideways with two fingers to open the apps menu, then draw the symbol for that guy who used to be called "Prince" to run Chrome, trace out a Mandelbrot fractal to run Gmail, and draw out Escher's "Waterfall" in full detail to run Facebook."

lol. I made an edit at probably the same time you posted.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
It would be nice if there was a way to add a separate "screen" in the unused bottom area to do nothing but accommodate on screen buttons.

My Thunderbolt has this already. I have "Home", "Menu", "Back", and "Search" context buttons that are always there. ;)

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
lol. I made an edit at probably the same time you posted.

To answer your (edited) point, I disagree. One of the things I really want to have is more physical buttons. I miss the BlackBerry's concept of programmable physical buttons that allow you to launch programs or macros (one of the only two things I miss about my BlackBerry). A dedicated "camera" button would be great - press once to launch the camera app as quickly as possible (bonus points if you can do it when the damned phone is PIN locked!), press again to take a photo.

Yes, I know I can simulate this to a point with NFC tags, but physical buttons are easier.

ctfrommn

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
My Thunderbolt has this already. I have "Home", "Menu", "Back", and "Search" context buttons that are always there. ;)

I didnt explain that properly....I mean in the area below the screen that is current empty on GN and N4. It would be cool if manufacturers added a 48 pixel high screen there to house the onscreen buttons.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci