T-Mobile Nexus 4 vs Play Store Nexus 4

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Please forgive me if this was covered and I missed it...

What is the difference in the unlocked N4 vs T-Mobile version . I was planning on just sucking it up and getting it

Will it have all that crapware, coming on noises, etc???

Thanks

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
re: Nexus 4 vs T-Mobile Nexus 4

Please forgive me if this was covered and I missed it...

What is the difference in the unlocked N4 vs T-Mobile version . I was planning on just sucking it up and getting it

Will it have all that crapware, coming on noises, etc???

Thanks

From what I've heard its unlocked if you buy it for 499$. I wouldn't even if I didn't get the Nexus from Google Play just because it might still have crap on there from Tmobile but I'm not sure if it will. I'd ask your local Tmobile to see if they carry it and then ask if its the unlocked version like Google Play offers. Only special locations of Tmobile are getting the device and they're still might be a wait list for it as well.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site

I bit the bullet and went into a T-Mo store and picked one up for 500. It is the exact same phone sold on the Play store. Full stock, no crapware, fullly unlocked.

jflexe99

Droids!
Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

150 more. That is a lot of gas, or beer, or cigs or lap dances....Couldn't have waited for like 2-3 weeks? Haha

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

Literally the exact same device. I think the only change is a build.prop difference that calls it a T-Mobile device.

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site

I bit the bullet and went into a T-Mo store and picked one up for 500. It is the exact same phone sold on the Play store. Full stock, no crapware, fullly unlocked.

I thought TMobile won't sell the phone outright if you don't lock into a new 2-yr plan agreement? I guess if you/someone was planning on it, then yea, no brainer, but with the many options out there to get the phone and try Straight Talk, TMobile $30 prepaid, Solavei, SimpleMobile, etc, your saving a lot more a month too. But, hey, to each his own :) Congrats!

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

I thought TMobile won't sell the phone outright if you don't lock into a new 2-yr plan agreement? I guess if you/someone was planning on it, then yea, no brainer, but with the many options out there to get the phone and try Straight Talk, TMobile $30 prepaid, Solavei, SimpleMobile, etc, your saving a lot more a month too. But, hey, to each his own :) Congrats!
On a two-year contract, they sell the 16GB version to you for a bargain price of $199. But ... I believe someone figured out that you'd be paying about $400 more for it over the life of the contract.

Not a bargain in my book, unless you haven't any credit or savings.
You can (usually) go to any carrier and buy the phone outright without any service or contract if you just want the device.
I've asked a few times at my T-mobile store if I could just buy a Desire or Sensation or even a One S at full price to replace my flawed, failing Amaze, and the answer was, "No. We don't sell phones without a contract. You'd have to cancel your contract, pay the ETF, and start a new contact and then we could sell/give you the phone, post-paid." :eek: :-\

Still, I'm going to a T-mo store tonight just to _look_ at one (if they have it), and make an offer to the guy along with my usual Amaze sob story. I'll probably get a smile, a shoulder to cry on, some sympathy, and ... an offer to buy it for $500. Meh.

qreepii

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

Tnos own press release said they'd sell it for $500 bucks off contract so if the store guys give you any issue just point at the PR.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

rclifton

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site

150 more. That is a lot of gas, or beer, or cigs or lap dances....Couldn't have waited for like 2-3 weeks? Haha

I didn't manage to get a 16GB through Google but I did get an 8GB model, I've got a firm buyer for it for $425, so I honestly don't feel like I lost money paying $499 for it when you factor in shipping etc... Plus I have it now and don't have to wait for restock to come in heh ;)

I walked in and walked out with the phone in less than 15 minutes no issues, and I'm using straight talk. Had an AT&T sim but had ordered a Tmobile one in anticipation of the N4. The difference in dat speed between the 2 is amazing!!

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Tnos own press release said they'd sell it for $500 bucks off contract so if the store guys give you any issue just point at the PR.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

The local Sunnyvale store was sold out today , save for the demo. :cool:

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Nexus 4 vs T-Mobile Nexus 4

I paid 500 for the phone and signed up for the 50 bucks a month prepaid service, which I will forget to renew, left the store and popped my Straight Talk sim in and haven't looked back.

zer0vette

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nexus 4 vs T-Mobile Nexus 4

you sir are hardcore, LOL. 67% more money. :eek:

Totally something i would do as well though. :D

shikem

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I purchased one at $499 at tmobile. They said they thought it was locked to Tmobile but my AT&T sim card seemed to work so I bought it.
There was an update that automatically installed when I walked out. Shortly there after I went to AT&T to get them to record the IMEI # and replace the X one with this phone. Since then I have had intermediate data issues with the phone going back and forth to HSPA and HSPA +.
Talked to Google twice and AT&T twice. Nobody seemed to know exactly what would fix it. They suggested that it might be locked to Tmobile but everyone on the web seems to think otherwise.
I tried a hard reset which helped at first but then it started dropping the data connection again.
There is nothing in the software or settings that indicates it might have tmobile software in it.
It says it's on AT&Ts network.
Any advice would be great.

corance

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
All the TMobile stores I talked to said it is locked to them but you can call LG to get the unlock code. Take it for what it's worth.

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
If you go the prepaid way (Straight talk ect) for $30 how much is the phone and is there a contract with the $30/month option

How about the eBay way? When I get new phones, I alwasy sell mine on eBay. I know they are great because I had them. But how would I know. Let's assume it was a new unopened device. What would my options be if something happened. I believe my Asurion would not cover it because it was purchased on eBay right. I would have to buy eBays insurance?

Last edited:

rclifton

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I purchased one at $499 at tmobile. They said they thought it was locked to Tmobile but my AT&T sim card seemed to work so I bought it.
There was an update that automatically installed when I walked out. Shortly there after I went to AT&T to get them to record the IMEI # and replace the X one with this phone. Since then I have had intermediate data issues with the phone going back and forth to HSPA and HSPA +.
Talked to Google twice and AT&T twice. Nobody seemed to know exactly what would fix it. They suggested that it might be locked to Tmobile but everyone on the web seems to think otherwise.
I tried a hard reset which helped at first but then it started dropping the data connection again.
There is nothing in the software or settings that indicates it might have tmobile software in it.

Flopping back and forth between HSPA and HSPA+ on AT&T in my experience is a network issue not a phone issue. If the phone were locked to Tmobile it wouldn't work period with your AT&T sim. On prepaid using the AT&T sim this issue is even worse in some areas. Where I live I would constantly lose data connection when on H2O, the situation improved somewhat when moving to an AT&T straight talk sim but still happened from time to time.

All the TMobile stores I talked to said it is locked to them but you can call LG to get the unlock code. Take it for what it's worth.

It's unlocked out of the box, I initially was using an AT&T straighttalk sim in the one I bought from Tmobile and it worked fine. If it were locked it wouldn't have worked at all. It does work better data wise for me with a Tmobile straighttalk sim tho as I live in an area where Tmobile has 42Mbs HSPA+ available.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
If you go the prepaid way (Straight talk ect) for $30 how much is the phone and is there a contract with the $30/month option

You're buying the phone and plan separate when you go Prepaid. The phone is currently on sale unlocked at T-Mobile stores for $499, or $299 (8GB) / $349 (16GB) on Google Play when they come back in stock.

How about the eBay way? When I get new phones, I alwasy sell mine on eBay. I know they are great because I had them. But how would I know. Let's assume it was a new unopened device. What would my options be if something happened. I believe my Asurion would not cover it because it was purchased on eBay right. I would have to buy eBays insurance?

You don't really have much of a claim to a warranty when you buy a device second hand. They may help you out, but its not guaranteed without proof that you're the initial purchaser (iirc). 3rd party insurers will cover it, but that's a losing proposition. Why pay $10/mo in insurance for a $299/$349 device? Just not worth it.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

Are you actually experiencing data issues in your normal usage? AT&T idling on HSDPA, and switching to HSPA+ when a data transfer is active is normal. If you don't experience actual issues with data (like loading web pages, for example), then you don't have anything to worry about.

The one being sold by T-Mobile is unlocked. If it wasn't, it wouldn't accept an AT&T SIM or connect to any network at all other than T-Mobile's.