Google Nexus 4 First Impressions/Reviews

joshua.worth

Android Guru
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
- I am not too fond of the icons. Example is the notification of a text message. Little smiley face in a bubble thing... I'd prefer just a regular envelope or something.

That's just a place holder, once you add pictures to your contacts or Google or Facebook or however you get them on there the persons picture will show up in the notification

Sent from my Nexus 4

Elysion76

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Just putting this into perspective. When I meant I felt a huge performance increase switching from one phone to the next, I meant a REALLY HUGE improvement:

I never bothered to root the X10 and take screenshots with it because ugh I just didn't want to deal with it anymore.

Attachments

• Benchmark Comparison.jpg
    Benchmark Comparison.jpg
    801.2 KB · Views: 87

Michael Morris2

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I got this phone during Christmas so I?m about 6 weeks in, coming from blackberry bold.. Widgets are great, google now, new York times and the ability to create a text widget and just scroll through that is also fun. Signal quality is usually good, I have an issue with t-mobile that sounds like it?s common: occasionally the phone will drop coverage when asleep, once you unlock the phone and play around for a second the signal reconnects, usually with 4-5 bars. Swipe keyboard kicks ass, the camera is OK but you?re still gonna see some blurry pictures sometimes.

My big complaint is that the phone is fragile and even with an iron clad protection plan there?s no garuntee of a speedy phone replacement since google/LG can?t make these fast enough. The back of the phone is so slick that it will glide across a very smooth surface (bathroom tiles) without anything touching it, this is dangerous, I have a case but stopped using it because the phone looks and feels so great without the case, but I?m always careful.

Michael Morris2

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Pocket Casts costs 3 bucks and is amazing, you can download podcasts for offline listening and it even auto deletes after you finish. Comes with a pause/back/forward widget that also shows up in lock screen to solve your unlocking problem. I can also pause/play through apple's newest earphones, although the double click features and volume dont work with the apple 'phones. Perhaps your non-apple headpohnes have more features. I found the inline remote (pause/play) works with pocket casts, pandora and G music, no go for stitcher or ESPN radio.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Pocket Casts costs 3 bucks and is amazing, you can download podcasts for offline listening and it even auto deletes after you finish. Comes with a pause/back/forward widget that also shows up in lock screen to solve your unlocking problem. I can also pause/play through apple's newest earphones, although the double click features and volume dont work with the apple 'phones. Perhaps your non-apple headpohnes have more features. I found the inline remote (pause/play) works with pocket casts, pandora and G music, no go for stitcher or ESPN radio.

I'm guessing wrong thread lol

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

fredwardnelson

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
This phones battery life is wonderful IMO.
I have about five hours screen on time. I'm coming from a nexus s 4g so maybe I'm just out of touch but this is awesome. I love this phone

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361074948268.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361074948268.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 43
  • uploadfromtaptalk1361074965447.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361074965447.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 43

raj24

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
just got my nexus 4..
\first impression is amazing..screen , touch , display etc are god..
multimedia seems not good like other devices..
speakers seems not good like other phones..

Jasonr403

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
i love mostly everything about the nexus 4 exept the battery and speaker those are two thing they could of improved better on i give it 4 1/2 stars

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I miss having an expandable battery, and after having an AMOLED screen the blacks on the N4 look awful. Other than those two things it's awesome.

pimpdaddywelfare

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Whats up, Im new here. Just bought the Nexus 4 Friday and started using it Sunday and today.
Im coming from an iPhone 4, and a iPhone 3g before that. It was time for something new and different as the IOS platform was becoming stale to me. I was debating between this and the Nokia Lumia 920, but I got this for free on a 2 year contract so it was hard to pass up.

Plus - The screen, size, weight, are all excellent. The looks of this unit is really sharp and I actually like the back, not as noticeable in real life though. I also really like the Google integration.
Meh - The camera is average, I find it is really sensitive to slight movements and also moving objects in the photos blur easily.
Negative - The battery life seems to be pretty poor. Playing a few rounds of Angry Birds Star Wars, and browsing the Pulse app seems to really suck down the battery. I am a heavy user though so its kind of a tough call.

An odd note... When I hold the device upright and tap the nexus logo, it sounds like something is loose inside... Anyone else ? Or is this a problem and I should swap it before its too late?

Power note- I have screen brightness on auto, location services off, and have downloaded an app called Easy Battery Saver to see if it will help. Im running that app on Intelligent mode for now, doesn't seem to push messages though so I dont know how long that will last.

Guidos Dad

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Maybe will take time later to right more but just to make a quick first comment on my Nexus 4 that I've been using for a week now.... I REALLY like this phone!. I switched from the Vz Galaxy Nexus rooted with CM 10.1 on it and i 'm really enjoying the smoothness of the N4 with 4.2.2 Plain Jane Android on it!

tacosrdelicioso

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
What I don't understand is why the pinch to zoom is delayed. I used show pointer location to overlay the screen at all times to test and both fingers are registered just like any other phone and it just doesn't zoom until like an inch apart...?! Why ?!?!?!?!?!?! Makes no sense.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
An odd note... When I hold the device upright and tap the nexus logo, it sounds like something is loose inside... Anyone else ? Or is this a problem and I should swap it before its too late?.

I've read that its part of the camara's auto focus. Been discussed on this site here. I don't hear it on mine and it don't seem like a big problem. Also been discussed on XDA with the similar replies.

hyun_lee89

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Just had 24 hours with my nexus 4 and it's been great.
Before making up my mind to buy this, I was excited and worried at the same time. I heard all the good things about nexus 4 from people and there were also people complaining about some problems with their device. Things like battery life and noise while calling bugged me the most.
When I actually got it and began to use it, all my worries were gone. Battery was superb. Even with constant usage, I was left with ample amount of battery. There were no problems with the hardware as well.
Since I was coming from iPhone 4, Android environment was pretty new for me, but so far it is pretty exciting.
So, for anyone who is looking to submerge themselves into the world of android, nexus 4 is a best device to start.

bro1999

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I've had my N4 since last Friday, and I'm loving it! My previous phone was a Droid X (no, not X2, the original X), and the difference between them is night and day. Most noticible thing right away was the weight difference. The X is a brick compared to the N4, which is like a feather, despite the N4 being physically larger. The butter-smooth scrolling and lightning fast responsiveness is also a joy. The fact I was able to drop Verizon and switch to T-mobile's $30 4g plan is just icing on the cake.
I'm sure any recently released phone would have run circles around my old Droid X, but I'm really happy so far.

Trying to think of a negative.........maybe the fact I've had to baby the N4, especially the glass back, because with the X I was more or less tossing it around the room because I really didn't care about it anymore.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power