Google Nexus 4 First Impressions/Reviews

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone,

The purpose of this thread, is to hear members thoughts & opinions on how the Google Nexus 4 stacks up amongst a suggested list of attributes:

• Aesthetics
  • Screen
  • Hardware
  • Phone - including bluetooth & speakerphone usage
  • Overall User Interface
  • Widgets
  • Signal quality (Compared to other devices)
  • GPS
  • Social Networking
  • Email/Calendar
  • Battery Life
  • Performance
  • Media (music, movies, DLNA)
  • Keyboard's
  • Camera (both still & video)
  • How the Google Nexus 4 compares to your previous smartphone (if applicable)
  • Disappointments (if any)

Feel free to provide as little or as much detail as possible, while trying to make it as useful as possible. Hopefully this will help others who are considering the Google Nexus 4, but would like to hear some user feedback first. Also, please do not review the Google Nexus 4 prior to having one ;)

And if you read a review that you found helpful, please use the Thanks button to show them your appreciation!

Last edited by a moderator:

Seven2k

May 17, 2010
Visit site
N4 first impression

Hey guys,

I have been reading the forum and wanted to know YOU the users impression of the N4. Feel free to post pics and opinions. Also, did anyone get the bumper?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

TrinNY

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: N4 first impression

Sturdy, fast, great screen (with protective film will try to keep it on until I get a screen protector). Battery seems to be cause for concern after about 3 1/2 hours of constant use installing apps, using web configuring etc battery at 57% another 2 hours of light use battery at 31%

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

corance

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Well considering it needs to be fully charged a few times and you probably haven't put it down since you got it, 5 and a half plus hours and still at 31 percent isn't bad....

woodbane

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Well considering it needs to be fully charged a few times and you probably haven't put it down since you got it, 5 and a half plus hours and still at 31 percent isn't bad....

Agreed - it will take a few charging cycles before you start seeing the best out of the battery. Plus, as mentioned - while you're in the "honeymoon" period you'll be using it all the time and the battery wont last as long. I bet in a few weeks no one will still be complaining about battery life...well, maybe some. Some people are never happy! :p

smileman

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
the below was first posted here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/225350-my-nexus-4-just-got-delivered-thread.html

i wanted to spend a little time with it today before rushing off some first impressions, so here are some thoughts:

-coming from an SGS2 the screen is so much better both in terms of the amount of screen real estate and particularly how easy it is to read text. gmail looks extremely crisp, as does reader. i do a lot of reading on my smartphone so this is for me probably the most obvious first major plus of the N4. games also look spectacular but i don't do much gaming. Google Now looks really sharp and i like the London image up top. anyone know how many custom city images have been made for Google Now?

-the overall size/weight just really isn't that much different than an SGS2, which is nice. it feels the same in the pocket, albeit a little bit more slippery in my addidas running pant pocket (more on this below)

-the phone feels significantly faster than an SGS2. no studder, lags, crashes, etc.

-network speeds feel better, and reception is better in my house. not sure if this is related or not but Spotify seems to be working better. less buggy, less buffering, and i haven't heard that awful screech noise that sometimes happens when i use the radio feature. music sounds great on this device and can't wait for the launch of Google Music's scan and match cloud service.

-the glass makes me nervous but i'm also always a little bit nervous when i get a brand new device. i'm much happier having a solid feeling, closed device like the N4 vs. the plastic cracking and creaking of the SGS2/Samsung smartphones in general.

-i really like a lot of the little the choices Google made. for example, good call on not including ear buds. people are pretty particular about their ear buds (in ear, non in-ear, etc.) so leave them out to bring down the price and let people make their own choice. also good call on making the USB charging cable detachable (which was not the case with the SGS2).

-voice recognition is awesome. doing math (eg, square roots), search, etc. works flawlessly. take that, Siri!

-like the reviews said, i barely notice the disco sparkly matrix back bit. it's nice, easier to see it outdoors.

-i like the N4's haptic feedback for some reason better than the SGS2. a little more subdued, less in my face maybe?

-there are some things i miss about Touch Whiz. touching the screen and being able to add shortcuts, folders and widgets. i miss the slightly larger circular pattern security dots for unlocking the screen. i miss be able to scroll left from the home screen and having both the left and right home screens within one flick of the finger. i miss being able to put all my apps in List View. and is GPS completely automated? there isn't a shortcut for turning it on or off and the flashing GPS signal in the notifications bar seems to only appear when i open an app like Maps or Strava which uses it.

-having said all that about Touch Wiz stuff i miss, i'm very happy to be done with Samsung. I had the Nexus S and then when it was stolen from me well before I was looking to upgrade I went for the SGS2 and i have missed not having immediate access to Android OS updates ever since. my SGS2 also just never seemed to work quite as smoothly or be as stable as the Nexus S and i always wondered whether this was a problem with how TouchWiz was interfacing with ICS?

-also happy to be done with MHL-HDMI. i could never really get this to work very well through my receiver due to what seemed like a poor hardware connection design. i'd have to position the cable and phone just so to get it to work. further, my SGS2 would run out of juice even though it was charging because the screen had to be kept on to play music. epic fail. i have an older LG TV - any suggestions on SlimPort/MiraCast adapters?

-once it comes out i'm looking forward to going completely wireless with the Nexus charging orb. would also be great if there were more ways to use NFC (err ahemm..that means you London Tube/Oyster card folks)

-will be nice to get to the bottom of this very subtle rattle that i and it sounds like at least one other person are aware of? i can't hear it when it's in my pocket, just when i ratttle it near my face. it's not a big issue or annoyance, but i'd like to know what it is and all other things being equal i don't like rattles.

-overall, i couldn't be more satisfied with the N4. the key to my being so happy is not only is the N4 a great flagship device, but it is being offered at an absolutely killer price. i'm going to be able to basically cover the cost of the N4 by selling my used SGS2 and its accessories. how unbelievable is that? and the N4 makes particular sense here in the UK where LTE won't be available for quite some time (but HSPA+ is).

Last edited:

rclifton

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,

The purpose of this thread, is to hear members thoughts & opinions on how the Google Nexus 4 stacks up amongst a suggested list of attributes:

• Aesthetics
  • Screen
  • Hardware
  • Phone - including bluetooth & speakerphone usage
  • Overall User Interface
  • Widgets
  • Signal quality (Compared to other devices)
  • GPS
  • Social Networking
  • Email/Calendar
  • Battery Life
  • Performance
  • Media (music, movies, DLNA)
  • Keyboard's
  • Camera (both still & video)
  • How the Google Nexus 4 compares to your previous smartphone (if applicable)
  • Disappointments (if any)

Feel free to provide as little or as much detail as possible, while trying to make it as useful as possible. Hopefully this will help others who are considering the Google Nexus 4, but would like to hear some user feedback first. Also, please do not review the Google Nexus 4 prior to having one ;)

And if you read a review that you found helpful, please use the Thanks button to show them your appreciation!

I've had mine for about 24 hours now so let's see...

I love the look and feel, it somehow oddly enough feels smaller than it's actual size. Maybe it's because it's naked I'm not sure but it just seems to be a better fit in the hand then most of the recent phones I've owned (I'll list themost recent below for comparison).

The screen is great, The best I've seen so far on ANY device I've owned. The rounded off sides take a few minutes to get used to but after you do you wonder why all phones don't have it.

Hardware wise this is easily the fastest and smoothest phone I've ever owned, no lag period.

Phone calls are great so far, I'ves used both an AT&T sim card from straighttalk as well as a Tmobile one, calls on speaker phone are a disappointment tho, very similar to my old Galaxy Nexus. In other words not very loud at all!

The user interface will take a bit to get adjusted too, even coming from another Jellybean rom the changes in layout for 4.2 are significant enough to make you do some looking from time to time for the odd setting here and there. Overall tho I enjoy the changes, they seem well thought out and designed to be more organized going forward.

The lockscreen widgets are great!

Signal seems to be on par with other devices I've owned.. No dropped calls, data is there when I need it, I'm happy..

GPS seems to work great, I don't use it alot but sitting in the center of my home not near a door or window on google maps with wifi turned off it says accurate to 3 meters. Certainly better than my old Vibrant from a few years ago ;)

Don't use social networking sites so no idea..

Email and calendar are the same or at least incredibly similar to what's available on the Galaxy Nexus. I personally preferred S-Planner on my S3 to the google calendar by a lot but hopefully Google will start to improve the Calendar soon.

Initially I was concerned about battery life but after charging it overnight and taking it off at 5am this morning it has already improved.. 5 hours in with several phone calls and near constant use I'm at 71%. I think it will last me a full day per charge and if so then I'm very happy. I don't mind charging everynight, especially once the wireless charger is available.

Performance is incredible, I can't lag this phone no matter how hard I try lol. I was going to try some videos but sadly MXplayer doesn't work currently, comes back as unspported android version and closes.

As far as media goes give me some ideas of what you are looking for and I'll test them out. I normally use MXplayer for video but it is not working at the moment so if someone has a suggestion for another player let me know as well.

The keyboard is an improvement over both my old S3 as well as the Galaxy Nexus. The keyboard in my Nokia 920 is actually slightly better tho as far as the actual act of typing goes. The prediction is the best I've used in any phone tho, by far in some cases..

Camera is a bit hit or miss, I've noticed it likes a lot of light and the flash can be overpowering at close range resulting in very washed out pics. It's been cloudy here the past 2 days as soon as the sun comes out I'll try and check it out in bright daylight. I think it's important to mention I'm not a pro by any means and how I usually measure performance is by how many blurry or poorly focused shots I get. This one I would rate better than the Galaxy Nexus, but below the S3 in regular lighting and far below the 920 in poor lighting but I think that's where the 920 tends to excel..

I do have a few concerns and slight disappointments tho.. The biggest disappointment is that the loudness overall is very similar to the Galaxy Nexus.. Ringing is louder but the notification sound seems very similar volume wise as does the volume of the speaker phone. Quality has improved tho as it doesn;t sound like the speaker is about to blow out when the volume is maxed out like it did on the Galaxy Nexus. I am also a bit concerned about using the phone sans case, the back honestly does seem delicate and more importantly does not appear to be easily replaced. Having replaced 2 backs on my wife's iphone already I appreciate that it is relatively easy to replace. The expense to replace and the ease at which it breaks really piss me off tho lol.

Overall it's better than any phone I've owned. I put my international S3 on craigslist 2 hours after picking it up. Phones I currently own or have recently owned include: International Galaxy S3, Nokia Lumia 920, Galaxy Nexus, iPhone 4s...

Steve_S_T

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Based on pre release reviews and comments I was surprised to find the edges slightly rubbery, to the extent that I wondered whether they'd fitted the bumper already.

Having used Swype previously I'm quite impressed by the trace function on the stock keyboard. My only bug bear with that so far is with the key layout as only the full stop/ period is available from the main lower case keyboard and you get a comma with a long press on that. Unfortunately I use underscores in my username and they can only be accessed from the numbers keyboard.

As I've been out this evening I haven't messed too much so that's about all I've picked up, but it's certainly fast and smooth to the extent that I'm not missing my One X.

Steve.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

AussieAndroid

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
First impressions are
- deceivingly light
- nice screen
- speaker volume louder than Galaxy Nexus
- earpiece volume about the same or so
- handles 4.2 better (definitely not sluggish)

rclifton

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
First impressions are
- deceivingly light
- nice screen

Are you sure? I compared mine next to my old Galaxy Nexus and while the ringer volume is slightly louder, notification and speakerphone volume level are very similar. Concerned I may have a bum unit if yours is noticeably louder.

mx player was just updated to support 4.2 today.

Yep, updated it last night and playback rocks!

smithy1983uk

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
first impressions from me (after about an hour)

i am coming from a windows 7.5 phone (samsung omnia 7)

the screen is nice and big i like how the ui takes up all of the screen space unlike windows phone
seems a lot lighter then i thought but is solid and built well 2 things i miss tho there is no hardware camera button and i would rather a slide cover/door for the usb port
the app store is great coming from windows phone has already been an eye opener
nice to have a notification light again

jordandj24

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
First impressions are
- deceivingly light
- nice screen

Just received my phone but haven't had any time to do anything besides plug it in and turn it on. But right out of the box my first impression is the screen is huge (wasn't expecting that) and it's much thinner than it looked in pictures online. Overall, very pleased with the size and weight.

AussieAndroid

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Are you sure? I compared mine next to my old Galaxy Nexus and while the ringer volume is slightly louder, notification and speakerphone volume level are very similar. Concerned I may have a bum unit if yours is noticeably louder.

I dont have 2 sims to compare directly unfortunately, but I use my speaker phone quite a bit. I just rang my voicemail which is how I usually test and noticed it was louder. I had another listen to some music on both (side by side, same song) and the Nexus 4 is DEFINITELY louder while holding them. If both are on a table, the GN wins though cos of the speaker placement. I haven't even listened to the ringer volume cos that wasn't a concern of mine.

AussieAndroid

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Just received my phone but haven't had any time to do anything besides plug it in and turn it on. But right out of the box my first impression is the screen is huge (wasn't expecting that) and it's much thinner than it looked in pictures online. Overall, very pleased with the size and weight.

The screen is only 0.05" bigger than my GN, so the size didn't impress me. They're actually the same height but the N4 is wider to make up the difference. It's a shame google insist on using the bottom portion of the screen for soft buttons (that pretty much never change), it's a waste of space that could be better spent giving me more room for widgets. I understand why they did it though, but I still wish it were more like the Galaxy S3 where the screen takes up the WHOLE screen and the buttons are separate (though change that physical home button to a soft button as well).

rclifton

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I dont have 2 sims to compare directly unfortunately, but I use my speaker phone quite a bit. I just rang my voicemail which is how I usually test and noticed it was louder. I had another listen to some music on both (side by side, same song) and the Nexus 4 is DEFINITELY louder while holding them. If both are on a table, the GN wins though cos of the speaker placement. I haven't even listened to the ringer volume cos that wasn't a concern of mine.

I don't have 2 sims either, just go into settings put them side by side and then open settings and set the volume for ringtone etc to max. It will play a short bit of it as an example. can do the same by going into default notification entry and setting it to the same sound on both devices and comparing the two directly.

map1978

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Questions for those who got the phone...might sound weird, but can you peel off just the barcode part of the back protector? I'd like to keep the back screen plastic on when I get mine, but would wanna just peel off the barcode. Is this possible?

jordandj24

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
The screen is only 0.05" bigger than my GN, so the size didn't impress me. They're actually the same height but the N4 is wider to make up the difference. It's a shame google insist on using the bottom portion of the screen for soft buttons (that pretty much never change), it's a waste of space that could be better spent giving me more room for widgets. I understand why they did it though, but I still wish it were more like the Galaxy S3 where the screen takes up the WHOLE screen and the buttons are separate (though change that physical home button to a soft button as well).

I'm coming from an OG EVO but I broke the screen a few weeks ago and have been using a Samsung Replenish so the size of the phone just blew me away. Currently having issues with wi-fi and receiving text messages.