11-16-2012 12:59 AM
38 12
tools
    11-15-2012 08:00 PM
    I'm old enough and smart enough not to take the bait
    Then why weren't you old enough and smart enough to not post the OP bait on a public forum?
    Ricky2009 and KwietStorm like this.
    11-15-2012 08:05 PM
    That's a long post, I'm going to go ahead and skip over that one.
    Could someone recommend a learn-to-read app for him? Reading is FUNdamental!

Good article, especially these parts:

"I'm angry because this is bloody Google - You'd think they could figure out how to handle peak loads and ecommerce at least as well as Apple. Google locates their datacenters near hydroelectric dams for God's sake so that they can access enough power to keep the world searching, to process the 72 hours of video uploaded to YouTube every minute, and to crunch enough data to automatically give me directions to my various destinations as I hop into my car for an appointment.

And yet Google couldn't switch from "Ships in 3-5 days" in the Play Store to "Sold Out" several hours after their stock had been depleted. Google didn't know the difference between "Coming soon" and "Sold Out" and actually let people continue buying phones long after they had all been gobbled up.

Google didn't have the sense to limit numbers of purchases to one or two per household and the situation was exacerbated because the miserable excuse for a storefront that they call the Play Store was such a disaster at peak load that people were buying two or three phones accidentally.

Google has enough information from the nation's aggregated searches to track influenza outbreaks faster and more accurately than the CDC and yet they didn't anticipate demand for a $300 unlocked superphone running the latest version of Android....Google can track the movement of illegal weapons worldwide better than our own government who should really be in a position to know about the weapons trade. And yet, when I sent an email today checking on the status of my order, just moments before I received that backorder email, the automated response cheerily told me that my phone should ship today and that I would have a UPS tracking number by tomorrow.

Why is this so damned hard for a company that is probably better than any other at processing data? Why, for a company that pioneered large-scale failover and redundancy and can shift literally petaflops of processing power among its various datacenters worldwide, could it not handle demand for a phone? Have you ever gotten an email from Apple saying, "Gosh, so sorry, we didn't think many of you would actually want a freaking iPhone so we didn't bother scaling our ecommerce systems or building a kajillion phones, so even though we told you that you got one, we were wrong so now you'll have to wait a while"? No, probably not.

Google finally discovers the secret sauce for Android and turning the wireless industry on its ears only to be derailed because its online store choked. Really? Seriously? Because Google didn't have the scalability or computing muscle to handle a spike on a few of their several hundred thousand servers? Because there weren't any Google engineers smart enough to figure out a better way to do ecommerce? Despite being able to auction millions of ads in real time? Really?

Ridiculous. Just ridiculous. Google, if you're listening (and I know you are, since you already know virtually every move I make), please go buy a company that knows how to sell things on the Internet. There's one or two (or 100) that do it fairly well."

Someone should tell this joker that he's totally missing the point about Google. They don't care about traditional corporate stuff. They're just a hippie commune-run vegan diner.
    KwietStorm likes this.
    11-15-2012 08:58 PM
    By the way, I'm not suggesting that everyone in their 20s is impatient and demanding, far from it.
    BUT..... freaking out because you don't have instant real-time detailed responses to every one of your questions as soon as you ask it IS something that generation suffers from. Gratification must be instant or else twitter shall be informed!

In fact, anyone who's familiar with how business and logistics works in the real world understands that this stuff is complex and you rarely get it right the first time. Monoprice (which was brought up before), has had 20 years to figure out how to run their sales and distribution. The under-30's would be horrified to realize how slow and unreliable Amazon was back when Bezos was pushing nothing but books. This is the SECOND time Google has ever tried anything like this, some slack has to be cut.

And if you claim that major retailers can do better, go look at WalMart the second their doors open on Black Friday. People DIE in that melee.
    11-15-2012 09:27 PM
    I'm guessing the average age on this board is about 20, 22? Your generation's need for instant gratification and inability to deal with any slight change in plans always amazes me.
    THIS.

Although, I think you aim high with that guess; definitely one too many high school kids here with adolescent, rudimentary opinions and contributions.
    gone down south, MERCDROID and Ry like this.
    11-15-2012 09:45 PM
    THIS.

Although, I think you aim high with that guess; definitely one too many high school kids here with adolescent, rudimentary opinions and contributions.
    I find that insulting...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    11-15-2012 09:50 PM
    Really? Was the generation slam really necessary? You couldn't have made your point about Google without bashing a whole generation? I mean, you obviously did not bother to actually figure out what the average age on this board is (or did you? And if so, can I see your proof?) - and just decided to venture a guess. Then you used that guess to slam a whole age group. If someone were to generalize this type of cavalier attitudes about unverified claims to YOUR generation or age group, how would that make you feel?

Frankly, I think it's just as bad to make broad, negative generalization about an age group as it is to do the same about a race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, income group, or regional residency.
    I'm part of the generation that he is talking about.

It's true.
    MERCDROID and Ry like this.
    11-15-2012 10:02 PM
    I find that insulting...

Did I single you out? Or are you telling all of us that you have rudimentary opinions and essentially contribute nothing of use to the forums?

Just as there are kids here that contribute nothing, there are some that contribute much; I've not categorized you in any way.

I'm 23, I'm young and adolescent, yet even I'm wise enough to understand who the original posters' derogatory comments were aimed at.
    11-15-2012 10:20 PM
    I've worked in the public industry and while many people my age are insanely entitled and pathetic, it's the older generation that thinks they know EVERYTHING!

Off topic, but just my experience with age groups

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    11-15-2012 10:38 PM
    Did I single you out? Or are you telling all of us that you have rudimentary opinions and essentially contribute nothing of use to the forums?

Just as there are kids here that contribute nothing, there are some that contribute much; I've not categorized you in any way.

I'm 23, I'm young and adolescent, yet even I'm wise enough to understand who the original posters' derogatory comments were aimed at.
    When I read what you wrote, I perceived that you were referring to everyone in my age group. My mistake.

But don't let age fool you. Even those my age (15) can contribute to discussions without being a problem. I'll admit I posted here trying to be the funny guy, and that was unnecessary.

11-15-2012 10:51 PM
    I'm part of the generation that he is talking about.

It's true.
    For you perhaps. Not for me. Our generation is not a monolithic group.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    11-15-2012 11:23 PM
    Basically everything DirkBelig said in this thread is 100% justified. Fact is, it isn't even about entitlement, instant gratification, or anything of the like. I mean for some I'm fairly positive it is, but for me, its about accountability and the lowest level of professionalism. When a startup small business is being put together, you don't have your receptionist handle the electrical engineering. You have an electrical engineer, or God forbid someone who knows about electrical engineering handle it. I'm very annoyed that even after going through all 9 levels of F5 hell, I got my order to be accepted, only to find out the day after that I ordered something they didn't have on hand and just failed to make it known. However, I'm not on a soapbox, ready to sue Google over it. At the same time, I refuse to sit here and have anyone tell me that it is outside the realm of a multi-billion dollar corporation that, for all intents and purposes, controls the internet, to simply be proactive and PUT IN PLACE the right pieces to handle this kind of situation. If your product is of such high regard that you had an entire event in New York City planned for its unveiling, there is no amount of words in any language you can express to me that would make me understand how you could not foresee the demand for said product, let alone not be able to handle what was essentially a low level DDoS attack. I know I will have my N4 soon enough, but its the undeniably sloppy way this was handled from every angle that I find most annoying. To have people finally get to their cart, but told later that its on backorder, is the equivalent of fighting your way to a register, only to have the cashier fumble with the keys while someone snatches your item and pays for it elsewhere in the store, and all the cashier says is oh sorry its a little busy here today.

tldr ; Nothing about this was done properly, and we are allowed to call them out on it, regardless of our age or background.
    chartothel likes this.
    11-16-2012 12:52 AM
    For you perhaps. Not for me. Our generation is not a monolithic group.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    I'm saying that his sweeping generalization isn't that far off.

I'm not one of those people either, but I'm aware of the large amount of people who are.
    Ry likes this.
    11-16-2012 12:59 AM
38 12