You are all apparently unfamiliar with this "Google" company?

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
This is a load of steaming codswallop. How so? Let me explain....

This isn't Gmail or Wave or even Google+ - you know, some free website or service that doesn't exist in meatspace (aka the real world) and is funded by ads placed on the sites - this is the launch of a physical commercial product that is being sold in exchange for money to customers who are choosing these products over an extremely crowded field of competitors with huge leads in their respective markets. As such, the expectations are vastly different and should be. Creating and killing Wave is NOT the same as working with LG/ASUS/Samsung to make Nexus 4/7/10s. You don't make thousands of handsets and tablets on a "beta" basis.

"Traditional corporate values don't count for much in Mountain View"?!? What is the first rule of ALL businesses? A: TURN A PROFIT!!! Period. End of discussion. They are a publicly-traded corporation with obligations to shareholders, not a hippie commune running a vegan diner. The sign doesn't say, "Open when we get here, closed when we leave"; it says, "We're a real business selling real products." It is not unreasonable to expect professionalism from an outfit ranked #73 on the Fortune 100 chart with $38 billion in revenues and $10 billion in profits. Sorry, but "traditional corporate values" are totally counting in Mountain View.

Which leads to the most insulting aspect of your post, the idea that it's only whiny entitled kids who are impatient who are upset that instant gratification takes too long who are complaining. Sorry, but as someone who has frequently pushed back at the emo crybaby diaper-filling that has flooded this board, this isn't remotely the same thing. As the situation melted down over the past couple of days, it's become clear that Google has made bad decision after bad decision, compounded failure upon failure, and has left a LOT of people justifiably upset over the mismanagement of the situation.

The irony is that if they'd simply used their own search engine, they could've seen that it's lack of planning and communication that makes things go from bad to worse. It's not as if they're the first company to attempt to sell stuff on the Internet, but considering the endless snafus we've witnessed, you'd think they'd found someone who lived their life isolated from civilization and technology in the Amazonian jungle, dragged them to the city, sat them down in front of first computer they've ever seen in their life and told them to sell some phones and tablets. (But worse than that would've worked out.)

With the examples of Amazon and Apple and countless other successful e-tailers to learn from and the experience of launching the Nexus 7 several months ago, their is literally no excuse to not have hardened their systems to not be overwhelmed or, better yet, simply done a pre-order process where the past two weeks were spent taking orders up to the initial shipment quantity and then saying, "We have reached our limit for pre-orders and all future orders will be fulfilled as soon as possible, probably within [X amount of time]." Who would've been angry if they'd done that? Not many and those who were would be those entitled brats you're speaking of.

The public has the capacity to be very understanding of inconveniences IF THEY ARE PROPERLY COMMUNICATED WITH. But we weren't communicated with at all. People who signed up to be notified, weren't. There was no announcement of what time sales would begin, leading to people staying up all night or running scripts to refresh the page and be alerted; massive inconveniences. When it was found out what time the sales were to start, the store jumped the gun and put them live early. Then the scrum that was like a virtual stampede on Black Friday as people hack and slash their way in to get at the year's hot toy for their brats who will be insufferable if Santa doesn't leave a Tickle Me Wii Patch doll/console under the tree. Then the taunting promises of "Shipping estimate: November 15, 2012" which turned out to be "SOL. See ya maybe in three weeks. kthxbai!"

You see, this has nothing to do with expecting too much, it's not receiving the BARE MINIMUM of service, information and responsiveness that EVERY OTHER FIRM DELIVERS. Imagine Apple or Amazon or Applebee's or American Eagle botching the sale and delivery of their respective products. You can't because THEY DON'T SCREW UP like Google just has. People aren't angry because they're over-entitled; they're angry because Google has failed to meet the legitimate expectations of what a competently-run multi-gazillion-dollar enterprise should deliver. If you hire the local slacker stoner to mow your lawn and he only does half of it, running through your wife's flower beds in the process, you can't get too angry because expectations are low.

However, this isn't Jeff Spicoli botched the edge trimming; this is #73 on the Fortune list saying that they're making a bold move into providing high end consumer electronic products to the general public in mass quantities and utterly botching the process in every phase. If Google wants to be treated as a big boy in the biz, then they must be judged by the standards the big boys are judged by and take their licks if they don't stack up. To try and claim that they're not a traditional company and thus shouldn't be held to account is ludicrous.

That's a long post, I'm going to go ahead and skip over that one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
That's a long post, I'm going to go ahead and skip over that one.
Could someone recommend a learn-to-read app for him? Reading is FUNdamental!

Good article, especially these parts:

"I'm angry because this is bloody Google - You'd think they could figure out how to handle peak loads and ecommerce at least as well as Apple. Google locates their datacenters near hydroelectric dams for God's sake so that they can access enough power to keep the world searching, to process the 72 hours of video uploaded to YouTube every minute, and to crunch enough data to automatically give me directions to my various destinations as I hop into my car for an appointment.

And yet Google couldn't switch from "Ships in 3-5 days" in the Play Store to "Sold Out" several hours after their stock had been depleted. Google didn't know the difference between "Coming soon" and "Sold Out" and actually let people continue buying phones long after they had all been gobbled up.

Google didn't have the sense to limit numbers of purchases to one or two per household and the situation was exacerbated because the miserable excuse for a storefront that they call the Play Store was such a disaster at peak load that people were buying two or three phones accidentally.

Google has enough information from the nation's aggregated searches to track influenza outbreaks faster and more accurately than the CDC and yet they didn't anticipate demand for a $300 unlocked superphone running the latest version of Android....Google can track the movement of illegal weapons worldwide better than our own government who should really be in a position to know about the weapons trade. And yet, when I sent an email today checking on the status of my order, just moments before I received that backorder email, the automated response cheerily told me that my phone should ship today and that I would have a UPS tracking number by tomorrow.

Why is this so damned hard for a company that is probably better than any other at processing data? Why, for a company that pioneered large-scale failover and redundancy and can shift literally petaflops of processing power among its various datacenters worldwide, could it not handle demand for a phone? Have you ever gotten an email from Apple saying, "Gosh, so sorry, we didn't think many of you would actually want a freaking iPhone so we didn't bother scaling our ecommerce systems or building a kajillion phones, so even though we told you that you got one, we were wrong so now you'll have to wait a while"? No, probably not.

Google finally discovers the secret sauce for Android and turning the wireless industry on its ears only to be derailed because its online store choked. Really? Seriously? Because Google didn't have the scalability or computing muscle to handle a spike on a few of their several hundred thousand servers? Because there weren't any Google engineers smart enough to figure out a better way to do ecommerce? Despite being able to auction millions of ads in real time? Really?

Ridiculous. Just ridiculous. Google, if you're listening (and I know you are, since you already know virtually every move I make), please go buy a company that knows how to sell things on the Internet. There's one or two (or 100) that do it fairly well."

Someone should tell this joker that he's totally missing the point about Google. They don't care about traditional corporate stuff. They're just a hippie commune-run vegan diner. :-!

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
By the way, I'm not suggesting that everyone in their 20s is impatient and demanding, far from it.
BUT..... freaking out because you don't have instant real-time detailed responses to every one of your questions as soon as you ask it IS something that generation suffers from. Gratification must be instant or else twitter shall be informed!

In fact, anyone who's familiar with how business and logistics works in the real world understands that this stuff is complex and you rarely get it right the first time. Monoprice (which was brought up before), has had 20 years to figure out how to run their sales and distribution. The under-30's would be horrified to realize how slow and unreliable Amazon was back when Bezos was pushing nothing but books. This is the SECOND time Google has ever tried anything like this, some slack has to be cut.

And if you claim that major retailers can do better, go look at WalMart the second their doors open on Black Friday. People DIE in that melee.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing the average age on this board is about 20, 22? Your generation's need for instant gratification and inability to deal with any slight change in plans always amazes me.

THIS.

Although, I think you aim high with that guess; definitely one too many high school kids here with adolescent, rudimentary opinions and contributions.

reign831

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Really? Was the generation slam really necessary? You couldn't have made your point about Google without bashing a whole generation? I mean, you obviously did not bother to actually figure out what the average age on this board is (or did you? And if so, can I see your proof?) - and just decided to venture a guess. Then you used that guess to slam a whole age group. If someone were to generalize this type of cavalier attitudes about unverified claims to YOUR generation or age group, how would that make you feel?

Frankly, I think it's just as bad to make broad, negative generalization about an age group as it is to do the same about a race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, income group, or regional residency.

I'm part of the generation that he is talking about.

It's true.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I find that insulting...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Did I single you out? Or are you telling all of us that you have rudimentary opinions and essentially contribute nothing of use to the forums?

Just as there are kids here that contribute nothing, there are some that contribute much; I've not categorized you in any way.

I'm 23, I'm young and adolescent, yet even I'm wise enough to understand who the original posters' derogatory comments were aimed at.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I've worked in the public industry and while many people my age are insanely entitled and pathetic, it's the older generation that thinks they know EVERYTHING!

Off topic, but just my experience with age groups

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Did I single you out? Or are you telling all of us that you have rudimentary opinions and essentially contribute nothing of use to the forums?

Just as there are kids here that contribute nothing, there are some that contribute much; I've not categorized you in any way.

I'm 23, I'm young and adolescent, yet even I'm wise enough to understand who the original posters' derogatory comments were aimed at.

When I read what you wrote, I perceived that you were referring to everyone in my age group. My mistake.

But don't let age fool you. Even those my age (15) can contribute to discussions without being a problem. I'll admit I posted here trying to be the funny guy, and that was unnecessary.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

KwietStorm

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Basically everything DirkBelig said in this thread is 100% justified. Fact is, it isn't even about entitlement, instant gratification, or anything of the like. I mean for some I'm fairly positive it is, but for me, its about accountability and the lowest level of professionalism. When a startup small business is being put together, you don't have your receptionist handle the electrical engineering. You have an electrical engineer, or God forbid someone who knows about electrical engineering handle it. I'm very annoyed that even after going through all 9 levels of F5 hell, I got my order to be accepted, only to find out the day after that I ordered something they didn't have on hand and just failed to make it known. However, I'm not on a soapbox, ready to sue Google over it. At the same time, I refuse to sit here and have anyone tell me that it is outside the realm of a multi-billion dollar corporation that, for all intents and purposes, controls the internet, to simply be proactive and PUT IN PLACE the right pieces to handle this kind of situation. If your product is of such high regard that you had an entire event in New York City planned for its unveiling, there is no amount of words in any language you can express to me that would make me understand how you could not foresee the demand for said product, let alone not be able to handle what was essentially a low level DDoS attack. I know I will have my N4 soon enough, but its the undeniably sloppy way this was handled from every angle that I find most annoying. To have people finally get to their cart, but told later that its on backorder, is the equivalent of fighting your way to a register, only to have the cashier fumble with the keys while someone snatches your item and pays for it elsewhere in the store, and all the cashier says is oh sorry its a little busy here today.

tldr ; Nothing about this was done properly, and we are allowed to call them out on it, regardless of our age or background.

reign831

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
For you perhaps. Not for me. Our generation is not a monolithic group.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

I'm saying that his sweeping generalization isn't that far off.

I'm not one of those people either, but I'm aware of the large amount of people who are.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams