I have an iphone 5.....

lsutigers03

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone concerned about going from an LTE phone to a non LTE phone? I have an iPhone 5 and I'm wondering if it'll be a painful step back to go back to hspa+. I loved my Galaxy Nexus and JB made the phone even better. I was really looking forward to the next Nexus but I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't have LTE even though I can understand why Google chose to omit it. Just curious to get other peoples thoughts.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone concerned about going from an LTE phone to a non LTE phone? I have an iPhone 5 and I'm wondering if it'll be a painful step back to go back to hspa+. I loved my Galaxy Nexus and JB made the phone even better. I was really looking forward to the next Nexus but I'm a little disappointed that it doesn't have LTE even though I can understand why Google chose to omit it. Just curious to get other peoples thought.

I have an HTC Thunderbolt on Verizon. Verizon's "3G" is a LOT slower than AT&T's HSPA+. For 99% of the time I'm out and about, I can barely tell the difference between Verizon's 3G and 4G/LTE. It's really only when I am uploading or downloading pictures or trying to do things with bulk data that I notice the difference, and I have WiFi both at home and work for that.

My wife has an AT&T-based Galaxy S2 (non-Skyrocket), and her phone is noticeably faster than mine even when I'm rocking full-on LTE. It's only in artificial speed tests that I can see that my actual data speed is higher.

The difference between HSPA+ and LTE in real-world use is that you'll burn through a 2 GB monthly plan in an half hour versus a whole hour if you use them full-tilt-boogie. :)

lev.b

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I think it's a difficult decision. I was an iPhone 3GS user for a couple of years, then because I had a work-provided blackberry, I decided to sell the 3GS and wait for iPhone 5. I used iPad 1 since it came out, then I bought iPad 3 this year and I've had three Macbook pros over the past 10 years. I bought iPhone 5 when it came out, used it for a month and returned it. The hardware itself is gorgeous -- I didn't mind that it didn't have a bigger screen or NFC. My problem was with iOS 6 (on the phone, not on iPad). I think Apple has become unimaginative and complacent with iOS. Looking back, its OS X has changed much more in the past 5 years than has iOS. Because of this lack of innovation, I returned the phone. I still love my iPad.

I also was willing to give Nokia 920 a chance, but because it's only available on the expensive AT&T network, I went ahead and ordered Nexus 4 from T-Mo (see my earlier post on how I got it for $150 and not $200, http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...ice-sells-nexus-4-16gig-150-2yr-contract.html).

UPS says Nexus 4 will be delivered by 3pm today. I'll report back with my impressions.

Lev

Last edited:

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
That's what the "Nexus" line is all about. It's pretty much a guarantee that you'll get updates for as long as the hardware can support the new version - which works out to about two years in most cases.

What you say is absolutely true - of non-Nexus devices (in cases where the owners are unwilling or unable to load aftermarket firmware that will often keep updates coming for quite some time after the phone drops off official support).

exactly....and why iphone software updates tend to make your older model feel sluggish, the android updates have the reverse effect. Look what JB did to the last nexus

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
If Android gets its act together and delivers updates faster Apple will lose even more customers my sister has an iPhone because she knows it will last her whole two year contract and get updates Android phones can't say that besides nexus devices

Sent from my PC36100

I think there is a big misconception about an update now. Android was trailing iOS for the last couple of years more in how the hardware and software was speaking to each other. But after Jellybean its all different. Touch screen tech is now better (which is still Apples strongest asset IMO) but software updates are really not as important now for the average user. A 2 year old Android phone can still do more than an iPhone5. It wouldn't be as fast or responsive but it can still do things that iOS can't.

The big question is are the things that Android can do important to you? If you don't know the difference or don't care then your iphone will do everything you need. But if you do care then the differences are glaring. Anyone who has used Dropbox on both devices can agree to this.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
exactly....and why iphone software updates tend to make your older model feel sluggish, the android updates have the reverse effect. Look what JB did to the last nexus

And the iOS 6 update actually took features away, so for many people the update was a negative. I know many people who have opted to not do the update. Can you imagine anyone not wanting to go from ICS to JB? Apples and oranges in terms of benefits.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I live in Houston. Everyone has a 4 or 4S. Haven't seen a 5 in the wild yet. I really think they pushed the hardware manufacturing too hard and can't produce it in quantity to get through quality control. Stupid mistake. Google / Android should pounce on this opportunity. It's giving apple phone people thoughts on switching.

I laugh when I see grandparents with their apple phones. Yeah, that's the phone I want...

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
That fantasy that apple has better software support is simply not true. Even though all their most of their phones are upgraded to 6.0 you dont get all of the features of the OS unless you have the newest hardware. In my opinion at least android is more transparent in that respect, but cutting off updates to specific models you know which features are available to you or not and you can make a better informed decision.

Also keep in mind, apple now is more about litigation than innovation. If you look at their recent software launches you can see there has been a significant dip in their innovation. Buying a nexus device is your best future proof option you have right now.

It's not fantasy, any software update even just for new APIs is better then no software update, this is bottleneck of Android and Apple do have a good point saying that on keynote.... because this is biggest problem of Android system. You know why most application still looks like 2.3? Because only 25% os Android userbase have beyond ICS and if app using ICS APIs it's usally using it via hacks so app don't brake for the rest 75% (thru i should minus here versions below Froyo here), Android seems to have exact same problem as Web developments, slow migration disallows to all the goodness of newest stuff. Nexus line is not a solution either, since as you seen in case of Nexus 4 not everyone likes it... yet they know that Nexus is the only way to get latest updates, thats why there was lot of hate. Apple is simply better at it (mostly from fact that they don't have third-party OEM problems) and migration process is faster, developers can move on faster and thing that "Apple isnow is more about litigation than innovation." does not turn that to "fantasy". 4.0 is year old system and still developers can't use it's full potential

Btw, i got ICS on Galaxy S2 and i still can't resize widgets even after latest 4.0.4 updates because they forgot to implement it to TouchWiz (launcher need to tell widget to resize it self) even thru they support there custom API :p so talk about not giving all features

But hey, it might get better, fact that S2 and Note 1 getting 4.1 is a good sign :)

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I live in Houston. Everyone has a 4 or 4S. Haven't seen a 5 in the wild yet. I really think they pushed the hardware manufacturing too hard and can't produce it in quantity to get through quality control. Stupid mistake. Google / Android should pounce on this opportunity. It's giving apple phone people thoughts on switching.

I laugh when I see grandparents with their apple phones. Yeah, that's the phone I want...
Foxcom google it, Apple got bent over in the media for using them and their work ethics.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
both the same, you'll probably get longer software support on the iphone as from what I've read nexus has only 2 years. Both great phones, however apple is falling behind imo which is the main reason I'm switching

at the end of the day it comes down to preference

Which iPhone has received software support for more than 2 years?

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
And just bought the Nexus 4. Without "favoritism" what do you think is the better long term phone?
if youre looking at long term then i think honestly its going to be the iphone 5, but i think the n4 will hold up well especially since the updates are coming straight from google. I think its really more about preference as opposed to "one being better than the other".

BIGPADDY

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
You should have brought a NOKIA LUMIA 920 THAT FUTURE PROOF

IF YOU BUY YOU GET A FREE CAR WASH BY ME PERSONALLY

Attachments

• carwash.png
    carwash.png
    324 KB · Views: 15
  • nobody cares.jpg
    nobody cares.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 50
  • carwash JPEG.jpg
    carwash JPEG.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 15
  • 6-fat-man.jpg
    6-fat-man.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 48

BIGPADDY

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I want to apologies about the image above it was only suppose to be the car wash man :d

my mistake if i have upset or offended anyone press f13 then you should get a message box.

Again im sorry

BIGPADDY

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
You should have brought a NOKIA LUMIA 920 THAT FUTURE PROOF

IF YOU BUY YOU GET A FREE CAR WASH BY ME PERSONALLY

Attachments

• carwash.png
    carwash.png
    324 KB · Views: 15

Forum statistics

Threads