D3lit3

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I think this pic sums it up nicely.

2m45c8i.jpg

cinek

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
And just bought the Nexus 4. Without "favoritism" what do you think is the better long term phone?

both the same, you'll probably get longer software support on the iphone as from what I've read nexus has only 2 years. Both great phones, however apple is falling behind imo which is the main reason I'm switching

at the end of the day it comes down to preference

Jason Wilson1

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I still currently have both and at this moment in time my iPhone 5 is sat in its box and waiting to be won on eBay so thats my answer :)! I've been waiting for an android phone with the same/similar build quality of apple products and this one definitely lives up to it, so i'm happy :)

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Android.

First, buy a phone for what it does out of the box. Anything it gets upgraded to is a bonus down the road.

Apple has hit the wall, basically, in hardware. They are going to milk you wanting to upgrade through software updates. They will leave out features for older devices from here on out, I think. I had a 3G and the 4.0 OS left it so slow it was unusable to me so I moved to android and never looked back. Apple should have not released that update for the 3G.

I love how android gets fresher and fresher looking each year. Apple - well, what has really changed? I can pick one up and it is pretty much my 3 year old 3G, just snappier.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Android.

First, buy a phone for what it does out of the box. Anything it gets upgraded to is a bonus down the road.

Apple has hit the wall, basically, in hardware. They are going to milk you wanting to upgrade through software updates. They will leave out features for older devices from here on out, I think. I had a 3G and the 4.0 OS left it so slow it was unusable to me so I moved to android and never looked back. Apple should have not released that update for the 3G.

I love how android gets fresher and fresher looking each year. Apple - well, what has really changed? I can pick one up and it is pretty much my 3 year old 3G, just snappier.

as has everyone else. Any hardware on these new phones is major overkill. At this point it is all about software. IMO, if you are going for a solid eco system apple has everyone beat, but I think you can still have an android phone and fill that hole. I do agree with you that adroid phones definitely feel "fresher". Apple really needs to change things up with IOS...aka ditch the open app drawer. I think they fired a bunch of big wigs in charge of IOS b.c they are not being innovative.

Oh and I cannot even tell you how accurate that cast away photo is. I think apple maps have succesfully got me to my destination 1 out of every 5 times.

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
If Android gets its act together and delivers updates faster Apple will lose even more customers my sister has an iPhone because she knows it will last her whole two year contract and get updates Android phones can't say that besides nexus devices

Sent from my PC36100

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
That is the big draw to the iPhone. It is exactly why I jumped ship and bought the iPhone 5. But one month on it and off to eBay it went and I picked up a cheap Rezound.

Android just keeps calling me back....

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I think Google and oems need to take a stand and demand full control of the smartphone Apple is on the decline this is the best time to do it

Sent from my PC36100

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I think Google and oems need to take a stand and demand full control of the smartphone Apple is on the decline this is the best time to do it

Sent from my PC36100

considering the iphone 5 sales....I would say they are anything but on the decline. Every new phone out sells the previous generation iphone....and is much higher than any other single phone.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
they are only popular as Juvies think they are cool & people like my mother claim they need it for work as everyone has one... but wonders "what is the + and - button on the side for?"

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
they are only popular as Juvies think they are cool & people like my mother claim they need it for work as everyone has one... but wonders "what is the + and - button on the side for?"

I had the first 4 iphones and while I prefer Android I can see why people are drawn to Apple (ios updates, more apps, build quality) but its stale its way to confined so I made the switchb

Sent from my PC36100

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
And just bought the Nexus 4. Without "favoritism" what do you think is the better long term phone?

Both will last long enough and get updates for a sufficient period for you to become bored of them, most likely. Both will retain approximately the same resale value relative to what you paid for them.

Obviously, you ask the question on a Nexus 4 forum, you'll get a lot of Nexus 4 - biased opinions, including my own. I'd go Nexus 4 hands-down.

But the reality is that either phone has the hardware and software legs to do just fine for a couple of years. I really think we're reaching a cusp as we did with the PC where the race for features, while far from over, is sliding more into a refinement period than a revolutionary one. There may be a few killer hardware features to add, but I really think a lot of the new stuff will be in terms of the software, with maybe some fairly revolutionary things in displays.

In 24 months, whichever phone you choose, you should be looking at a reasonable expectation of a phone still running the latest OS and retaining a pretty good resale value.

The only real advantage of the Nexus right now is its price. For $300, you're risking a lot less money on either obsolescence or accident.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Android.

iPhone at leats give oyu some new features in updates where Android phones on other hand tends to leave you without any updates at all, forcing you to... upgrade :p

falcor87

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

I see there is irrational arrogance on both sides.

Have been an iPhone 3G user since launch, I was looking into the 5 because I think after 4 years I'm due for an upgrade haha. All I could think when testing the 5 out though is "well this looks badass, but I've been here before", iOS became boring. So I jumped ship, and what better way than a Nexus!

Last edited:

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
iPhone at leats give oyu some new features in updates where Android phones on other hand tends to leave you without any updates at all, forcing you to... upgrade :p

That's what the "Nexus" line is all about. It's pretty much a guarantee that you'll get updates for as long as the hardware can support the new version - which works out to about two years in most cases.

What you say is absolutely true - of non-Nexus devices (in cases where the owners are unwilling or unable to load aftermarket firmware that will often keep updates coming for quite some time after the phone drops off official support).

ijip

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
That fantasy that apple has better software support is simply not true. Even though all their most of their phones are upgraded to 6.0 you dont get all of the features of the OS unless you have the newest hardware. In my opinion at least android is more transparent in that respect, but cutting off updates to specific models you know which features are available to you or not and you can make a better informed decision.

Also keep in mind, apple now is more about litigation than innovation. If you look at their recent software launches you can see there has been a significant dip in their innovation. Buying a nexus device is your best future proof option you have right now.