The Saga of trying to purchase a Nexus 4

KenDavidson

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
So, I have been waiting on the Google announcement that was rumored for the past few weeks regarding their newest release of a Nexus Smartphone. The day the announcement is slated for mother nature interferes and hurricane Sandy puts back the slated New York City Google release, but in typical Google fashion they don't let rain, sleet, snow or even a hurricane stop the announcement and within hours the web is ablaze with tales of the new Nexus line up including the much coveted and sought after Nexus 4. The only down side was I would now have to wait until November 13, 2012 to purchase this ground breaking smartphone and alas be free of my carriers contracts and control.

For two weeks I continually hit the Play Store and perform several refresh hits just to see if the release gets pushed up, after all it is Google we are talking about and stranger things have happened. I register for the email notification of the release with little confidence of receiving the email, I was also in line for the Nexus 7 so my expectations were already crashed once.

November 12 hits and I spend a considerable amount of time in the play store that day checking to ensure the release has not happened. I stay up late not wanting to miss out on this deal.

11:55 PM I am on Google Play start regularly refreshing the page

November 13
12:50 AM i give up, set the alarm on my iPhone for to be up for a 12:00 AM launch PST.
2:45 AM Again, back up out of bed and on Google Play hitting refresh until it is time to head to the gym.
4:45 AM. Leave home for the gym and then off to work.
9:00 AM. See on Android Central Forum we are now set for a 9:00 AM PST launch. I am in EST.
10:00 AM. Back onto Google Play waiting for the "Coming Soon" statement to be removed and see the Add to Cart button appear.
11:34 AM The Chrome extension alerts me that the Play Store Page has changed. I log in.
11:34 AM I add an 8 GB Nexus 4 to my cart and head for check out. I get to the second page of Google Wallet to select my payment card and crash.
11:35 AM My phone is no longer in my cart after the Google Wallet crash. I now get a "coming soon" on the phone again.
11:37 AM I am able to add another 8 GB phone to my cart, I get again to the second Wallet page and crash. Phone gone from cart again.
11:38 AM Able to add 8 GB phone to my cart again and this time Wallet says I have 8 8 GB phones and 2 16 GB phones in my cart. I delete the ones I don't want and crash.
11:40 AM For the next 22 minutes I add devices to my cart as able and watch them disappear when Google Wallet crashes.
12:10 PM I stop trying and go to lunch.
1:00 PM I continue using the refresh button to occasionally get a phone to show up available to purchase with continual crashes of Google Wallet or the shopping cart loosing items.
3:34 PM I finally get a phone into my cart and proceed through check out and get a confirmation email of the purchase through the play store.

November 14

Check email all day and refresh my Wallet to see if there is a change to my shipping or order status.

November 15 The day the Play Store shows my phone being shipped.

Watch email all day for tracking data.
2:18 PM Call and speak to a Play Store Rep and ask if my order went through and about the shipping. He states that my order was completed and that my tracking number should be coming but due to a server issue with the email that sends UPS tracking data that the email did not go but assures me my phone is on the way.
2:21 PM I get an email from Google Play advising my phone has been back ordered and is expected to be shipped in 3 weeks.

An update on your Nexus 4 Google Play order
Inbox
x

Google Play googleplay-device-english@google.com
2:21 PM (8 hours ago)

to me
Thank you for your recent purchase on Google Play. Due to overwhelming demand, your Nexus 4 is on backorder and is expected to ship within three weeks. We?ll send you a notification when your order has shipped and will credit the shipping charges.

To check the status of your order at any time, visit the link below: https://wallet.google.com/manage/#transactions

If you would prefer to cancel your order, please reply to this email and our team will assist you. Or you can cancel your order using our online tool. Please follow the instructions found here:
Canceling or changing your order - Google Play Help

We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you again for your order.

Thanks,
The Google Play Team

? 2012 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

You've received this mandatory service announcement email to provide you with important information related to your purchase from Google Play.

There you have it, wasted days and efforts all for naught. Well maybe in 3 weeks I will feel differently. Fingers crossed still.

jeremydc

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Am I the only one getting tired of these threads. OK we all got Trolled by Google. Wait it out. If not, cancel and have it sent to some in be who is patient. Its a great phone at a great price.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mmace

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Be patient and wait. Good things happen to those who wait.
I was told mine was coming yesterday, I signed up to a new contract with a microSIM (doesn't fit in my current phone), that is now sat doing nothing but costing me money
I agreed to sell my current mobile to a recycle company, that offer runs out early next week and my current phone is going down in price every day (the money from this was going to pay for 50% of the N4).
This 3 week wait is now costing me money, do tell what good things are coming?!

Trashville

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Am I the only one getting tired of these threads. OK we all got Trolled by Google. Wait it out. If not, cancel and have it sent to some in be who is patient. Its a great phone at a great price.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

it would be okay if one of these threads had some real information regarding the next shipment instead of just people posting how they got the backorder email

kgeier82

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Is it me or are people wasting entirely too much time with this? I'm mad too but I still have a phone and I had a backup plan knowing googles past.

No one knows what's going on. Google took my money and promised something in return. And is telling me weeks now. Sucks but either cancel or deal with it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Google hasn't screwed this launch up. They, unfortunately have no idea how 'hot' this phone is / was going to be at launch. View it from their side - do you build millions and hope it sells or many hundreds of thousands to sell out and ramp up production?

The apple phone has a lock on knowing how many they will sell, roughly, initially. That works to their advantage on their launches. But that's changing. With their pads you don't see the lines outside as much anymore and that will happen to their phone. Then the mobile landscape really turns upside down!