Nexus 4 Dilemma. Need Your Advice......................

jeremydc

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So a local T Mobile store has 5 in stock. Of course at first I was initially excited but the feeling quickly went away as I thought to myself, "Is it worth the trouble?" My initial plan was to buy the phone on contract for $150 (discounted for work), sign up for the cheapest what ever classic plan then leave. Figured I'd cancel it in a few days then head over to Walmart and get the 30$ Prepaid plan. The thing is, I am planning on moving overseas In February so being unlocked is key. It seems that it is unlocked so thats not the issue. The problem is the termination fee might not be 200 as I initially thought but would be for the remainder of the phone (about $350). I don't know if that is comfirmed but still.

If you were in my shoes, would you chance the fees just to have the phone a month early (and be one of those evil posters who post about it) or just bite the bullet and wait for a second batch that you might not even have a chance to order from?

I have a 2 year old optimus but in no rush to have it in my hands but then again, it would be awesome to be one of the first to have it.

Any advice, suggestions, thoughts are appreciated.

reign831

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
So a local T Mobile store has 5 in stock. Of course at first I was initially excited but the feeling quickly went away as I thought to myself, "Is it worth the trouble?" My initial plan was to buy the phone on contract for $150 (discounted for work), sign up for the cheapest what ever classic plan then leave. Figured I'd cancel it in a few days then head over to Walmart and get the 30$ Prepaid plan. The thing is, I am planning on moving overseas In February so being unlocked is key. It seems that it is unlocked so thats not the issue. The problem is the termination fee might not be 200 as I initially thought but would be for the remainder of the phone (about $350). I don't know if that is comfirmed but still.

If you were in my shoes, would you chance the fees just to have the phone a month early (and be one of those evil posters who post about it) or just bite the bullet and wait for a second batch that you might not even have a chance to order from?

I have a 2 year old optimus but in no rush to have it in my hands but then again, it would be awesome to be one of the first to have it.

You have to wait until after the grace period to break your contract, so 14 days in most states, or 30 in a few like California.

Phone $150 + $35 activation possibly
$200 Termination
I think the cheapest plan would be $69 / month

So you'd be at ~$400 at the low end (no activation and only paying for 14 days of service)
And right around ~$500 at the high end.

I would just buy the phone outright honestly. You're lucky T-Mobile has them in stock around you. I'm in CA (right near Google HQ actually) and I can't find any that have 'em in stock yet.

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

Wait bro. I purchased one for $500 off ebay at first then got a refund. Definitely wait.

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
F it, I'm buying mine in an hour at the Tmobile store down the street. Google f-ed up my 2 phone orders, so F them and their not getting my money :) Totally worth the extra $150 for off contract phone and get it today. So sollie Google!

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Support: Early Termination Fee

I'm going to base my numbers off the $200 they charge for the phone regularly on-contract, since I don't know if the "business" plan you can get it for $150 is different.

Initial phone cost: $200
ETF for canceling: $200

The cheapest plan they have with data is $70/month, so assume you'll have to pay for a full month before canceling.

Total phone cost: $470 plus fees, taxes, and the hassle of signing up for a plan and canceling it. There may be some unlocking involved.

For $30 more (or $80 more if you can manage the same trick with your business account), you can walk in, grab a phone off the shelf, do the Fry "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!" thing, and walk away with unlocked Nexus 4 sweetness today.

Or you can wait a week or three (risking having T-Mo completely run out, because I doubt they are getting replenished very fast!) and see if Google starts releasing more $300/350 handsets and what your shot is at getting one.

NOTE: If your moving overseas is part of a military deployment, T-Mo has a policy of waiving the ETF. See the T&C on the link I posted above.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
F it, I'm buying mine in an hour at the Tmobile store down the street. Google f-ed up my 2 phone orders, so F them and their not getting my money :) Totally worth the extra $150 for off contract phone and get it today. So sollie Google!

pretty sure Google doesn't care if you buy it from them or not. They care about your information, using their search engine and service. It's all about ads. you are only punishing yourself by spending 150 more.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

ijip

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
it depends if you could wait another 2 weeks. Black Friday is coming and i just cannot imagine that there would not be any nexus4 available at that time....

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

You tell them! Google is not getting any damn money from you!

But they will get it from t-mobile from you purchase so at least they have that going for them

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Plano26

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking of also just picking one of from Tmo; I didn't get an order in on launch; tried and tried but it wouldn't go thru. Currently I'm phone less and don't have any contract commitment; but the key would be if I could get the phone right away; I just have a feeling the play store will not get them in stock for quite some time.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking of also just picking one of from Tmo; I didn't get an order in on launch; tried and tried but it wouldn't go thru. Currently I'm phone less and don't have any contract commitment; but the key would be if I could get the phone right away; I just have a feeling the play store will not get them in stock for quite some time.

At $500, it's still a good deal. Not as good a deal as it is at $350, but a LOT cheaper over time than any contract-locked phone.

reign831

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

Yeah man, F Google, you tell em!

It's not like they are getting any money from T-Mobile for carrying them!
It's not like they get a share of any money you spend on the phone's app marketplace!

Put em in their place!

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Yeah man, F Google, you tell em!

It's not like they are getting any money from T-Mobile for carrying them!
It's not like they get a share of any money you spend on the phone's app marketplace!

Put em in their place!

Yea, I did tell'em didn't I! LMAO... Doesn't mean shyt now as my Tracking# has come through, so f it. Have fun at TMobile guys! I LOVE YOU GOOGLE!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37