This should be big news - "Google Screws up the Launch of the New Nexus Phone by LG"

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
That's the word - Swype disagreed and I didn't catch it. Could have been worse.

As for coverage, I've seen nothing remarkable outside of the android press.

Last edited:

frageelay

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
All the places listed are tech sites. When Apple messed up it was everywhere from Bloomberg, WSJ and BBC. It was a world news story that was getting as much coverage as election things. This is so underground compared to that. I'm sure other sites may have picked it up but not on the same scale. It is a non issue because it doesn't hurt Google's bottom line.

Your complaint would have more merit if it wasn't totally false. Like this:

* Google Nexus 4: Play Store debacle gives buyers the Backorder Blues | ZDNet
* Android Central 116: The Google Play debacle; Verizon's DNA | Android Central
* Nexus 4 backorder e-mails go out en masse | Android Central
* This week's sidebar poll: Were you able to order a new Nexus? | Android Central
* Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 launch on Google Play Store in U.S. + Canada [update: N4 sold out] | Android Central
* Nexus 4 backordered, expected to ship within three weeks -- Engadget
* Google Nexus 4 already sold out at U.S. Google Play store | Internet & Media - CNET News
* Nexus 4 Sold Out on Google Play Ahead of T-Mobile Launch | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
* Nexus 4 sells out in UK in 30 minutes as Play woes prompt anger - SlashGear
* http://phandroid.com/2012/11/15/nexus-4-backordered/
* http://phandroid.com/2012/11/13/nexus-4-sold-out/

Yeah, totally covered up. Do you line your hat with Reynolds Wrap or plain old store brand tinfoil?

Considering Google hasn't made any announcements as to what happened, it's all just speculation and nerd rage emo crybaby stuff. Would an explanation be nice? Sure, but so what? That they FUBARed this is self-evident and people are going to be very leery of trying to buy at launch in the future, but these are the firstest of First World problems. Are rockets raining down on your city? Has your home been washed away by a hurricane? No? Then you're doing just fine.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
All the places listed are tech sites. When Apple messed up it was everywhere from Bloomberg, WSJ and BBC. It was a world news story that was getting as much coverage as election things. This is so underground compared to that. I'm sure other sites may have picked it up but not on the same scale. It is a non issue because it doesn't hurt Google's bottom line.
In all honesty, selling the Nexus doesn't affect Google's bottom line. Look at the specs. Look at the prices it is being sold outside the Play Store. Google is VERY LIKELY selling this device at cost. When Apple starts selling iPhones at cost at a comparable price point out of contract as the Nexus 4, maybe we can start talking about having the same kind of main stream media coverage. When Apple starts allowing iOS on non-Apple devices, we can start talking about the same coverage. We can do that also when the Nexus phones, combined, reach anywhere near the market share of the iPhones, combined.

Yeah, Google handled it badly. The launch sucked; a lot of us (myself included) did not get our shiny toys. But to compare the sales and marketing of the Nexus phone to those of the iPhone is plain ridiculous.

frageelay

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Didn't compare the two really. I have posted multiple times that devices are pet projects for google and this is not where their money comes from. Actually posted that on this thread. What I was getting at is that the OP expected a big story, as if it was a big deal as it were with Apple. I commented regarding the person who posted the articles from tech sites. I agree it isn't a big deal for google or their investors. Apple is the in the device business, google is in the ad business. No comparison on my part.

In all honesty, selling the Nexus doesn't affect Google's bottom line. Look at the specs. Look at the prices it is being sold outside the Play Store. Google is VERY LIKELY selling this device at cost. When Apple starts selling iPhones at cost at a comparable price point out of contract as the Nexus 4, maybe we can start talking about having the same kind of main stream media coverage. When Apple starts allowing iOS on non-Apple devices, we can start talking about the same coverage. We can do that also when the Nexus phones, combined, reach anywhere near the market share of the iPhones, combined.

Yeah, Google handled it badly. The launch sucked; a lot of us (myself included) did not get our shiny toys. But to compare the sales and marketing of the Nexus phone to those of the iPhone is plain ridiculous.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Didn't compare the two really. I have posted multiple times that devices are pet projects for google and this is not where their money comes from. Actually posted that on this thread. What I was getting at is that the OP expected a big story, as if it was a big deal as it were with Apple. I commented regarding the person who posted the articles from tech sites. I agree it isn't a big deal for google or their investors. Apple is the in the device business, google is in the ad business. No comparison on my part.
Hmm, my bad, then. I misunderstood. My apologies.

frageelay

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
No problem.
I think google uses crap distrubution. Someone noted on another post that UPS is handling the entire thing. Not sure if that is true but as bad as it has gone it could be spot on.

Hmm, my bad, then. I misunderstood. My apologies.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
its just a F' ing phone. wait untill it get stocked and buy it. its not like you are going to die if you dont get it this instance.

there is always a limit!! Google cannot handle the huge demands while their capacity is limited.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
The problem here is google didn't know what to expect. The Galaxy nexus wasn't a big seller and they probably just had a modest amount ready for launch, not expecting it to sell like it did. Again they should of took pre orders as so they'd know just how many would be needed for launch.

Also they are a web based company, not exactly known for physical devices so they are still learning about cs. In a couple weeks everyone who wants one will have one and the play store will have a steady stock of them and no one will care.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
AFRAID or PAID for silence about this is the real question..
I take offense at that. You have no idea, and no right, to make such an assumption. It only proves that you're a jerk.

This was not a surprise. Anyone with an ounce of common sense knew the demand was going to be huge, and the devices would be gone in minutes.
You want it to be news? Here's your news post.

Despite random idiots saying it will fail, the Nexus 4 sells out in minutes as expected

lg-nexus4-review-5.jpg

Just as we saw when the Nexus 4 went on sale in Australia, Germany, and the UK, the US launch of the Nexus 4 was greeted with an almost-instant sellout. We're not surprised, as we've said all along that a phone of this caliber at these prices would sell out, despite all the naysayers opining about lack of SD cards and LTE, or complaining about LG being the manufacturer. Because of the rush and the confusion about the exact time, many folks went away without having purchased a unit of their own.

At the core, the biggest issue seems to have been the way Google Wallet handled the sheer amount of orders. The Google Play site kept up with demand, but the cart and payment systems buckled under the tremendous load. In the end, the system was likely left with users who had phones in their cart from a previous session who kept trying to continue the transaction in a new session. Google will have to sort it all out and make sure nobody gets charged without getting a phone, and we're sure they will in the coming days.

In the meantime, I'm sure Google is pleased by the response, and will beef up their online payment system for the next time.

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Damn right. You hate to break it to forum guys but this phone is not a big deal in the real world. They might have underestimated the demand but this is no gs3 or iphone people.

Personally I would be shocked I'd they sold 100k units.

You guys are mistaking message-board-enthusiasm for real-world-enthusiasm. It's not a story, because 99.9% of the population never heard of the Nexus 4 and wouldn't care either way if they did.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Ziptied

Your Resident Googler
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Damn right. You hate to break it to forum guys but this phone is not a big deal in the real world. They might have underestimated the demand but this is no gs3 or iphone people.

Personally I would be shocked I'd they sold 100k units.

Everything I've seen seems to point to around 500k globally on launch day.

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
That's a good thing if they sold that amount of units however that is still not a big deal. The GS3 is at like 30 million units or will be there by the end of the year and the iphone 5 will probably beat that number.

That initial demand will drop off tremendously but hopefully it will grow with every subsequent release. Personally I think this phone is the best phone available but I don't think Samsung or Apple have anything to worry about.

Amazon needs to get in the phone game to shake things up a bit like they did with the kindle fire. Even better Google should let Amazon handle the sales of this phone in addition to the play store. I think most people would pay a 20 dollar premium to know they would get the phone for sure and that the server would not crash on launch day. They needed to do a preorder type of thing so they know what the demand is in advance of launch day.

... And how many units were in stock globally?

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
For as much as I've defended google on this, they've totally been caught with their pants down now. I really don't get how a company whose specialty is Web based products has so much trouble with their site. If any company can handle massive traffic, Google can. And the wait times are becoming absurd. I can't even buy one for another month, what's it going to be "ships in 6-8 months"? I am wondering if lg is the problem here too, they probably don't have the supply chains Samsung does, Samsung can crank out production quicker just because of that fact.

Overall at this point I just want google to come out and shed some light on wth is going on. Just type of a statement, send it to android Central or another android or tech news site.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Speaking only for the US market, look at the proportion of the wireless market T-Mobile holds, then consider what proportion of that is actually interested in the N4.

I know, selling out in under a half hour tells me nothing about this phone or interest in it... :confused:

bphelminski

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I know, selling out in under a half hour tells me nothing about this phone or interest in it... :confused:
All that shows is that Google underestimated the demand. It doesn't show that there is massive demand for it. Nexus phones are largely developer and geek/hobbyist phones. The masses generally do not purchase the Nexus phones. Look at the Galaxy Nexus: Samsung issued a statement in court that the phone represented about 0.5% of the smartphone market, which puts its sales at well below 1 million units. Compare that with the GSIII or the iPhone, which sell multiple millions apiece.

That said, I think this Nexus will be the best selling one, but not anything that will make a huge dent in the overall smartphone market. It's just not a phone for the "average consumer", and that's who buys the majority of phones.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca