This should be big news - "Google Screws up the Launch of the New Nexus Phone by LG"

ctechnow

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Why isn't this front page news? "Google butchers the launch of the Nexus 4!" I would think that big Android sites and other news would be all over this since its such a big screw up from the biggest web company in the world. Someone is trying to keep this hush hush since the problem is buried in the forums. If it was front page news, we would all have apology emails and more information from Google about REAL expectations.

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Speaking only for the US market, look at the proportion of the wireless market T-Mobile holds, then consider what proportion of that is actually interested in the N4.

xxLiquidX

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Not only that but it may have a tactic to use against carries by showing that their phone sold out in hours.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

ctechnow

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Look at the proportion of all GSM carrier's that this phone will work with and you have yourself a BIG CHUNK of the US market. AT&T is a huge carrier for this phone.

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Why isn't this front page news? "Google butchers the launch of the Nexus 4!" I would think that big Android sites and other news would be all over this since its such a big screw up from the biggest web company in the world. Someone is trying to keep this hush hush since the problem is buried in the forums. If it was front page news, we would all have apology emails and more information from Google about REAL expectations.

Bloggers and websites are probably afraid if they make a statement like that Google will cut them off from getting review units and blacklist them.

If this was Apple, it would be not just all over the web front pages but on your 6 o' clock news and blasted nonstop on CNN. You'd have Anderson Cooper b*tching about how he was jamming F5 Hitler-style.

Sent from my Nexus 7

ctechnow

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Speaking only for the US market, look at the proportion of the wireless market T-Mobile holds, then consider what proportion of that is actually interested in the N4.

Honestly, who cares about 3G any more?

Were not talking about who cares about 3G here.. I see that the Galaxy S2 Launch for Boost Mobile ends ups as front page news but not this? Instead the only news is how they sold out in under an hour but not one mention about how screwed up things really were.

ctechnow

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Bloggers and websites are probably afraid if they make a statement like that Google will cut them off from getting review units and blacklist them.

If this was Apple, it would be not just all over the web front pages but on your 6 o' clock news and blasted nonstop on CNN. You'd have Anderson Cooper b*tching about who he was jamming F5 Hitler-style.

Sent from my Nexus 7

AFRAID or PAID for silence about this is the real question..

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Were not talking about who cares about 3G here.. .
It only runs on 3G on AT&T; it's hard to imagine that appealing to very many. Who wants to step down/back to that?

Tempest in a teapot. Add in LTE for broad, forward-looking appeal and you'll see the media take notice.

Don't get me wrong - I would love to see Google slap Verizon into line.

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Google screwed up in a similar manner with the Nexus 7 just a few months ago. Google it - or Bing, if you're feeling particularly gimpy - if you don't remember.

Trashville

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Minutes* this may sound ironic, but Google - Nexus 4 and you will see news of their screw up as people call it.

"google screws up nexus 4 launch because too many people wanted to buy it" is the best negative press to have

AFRAID or PAID for silence about this is the real question..

i doubt they have any more information about the mess than we do at this point

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
You guys are mistaking message-board-enthusiasm for real-world-enthusiasm. It's not a story, because 99.9% of the population never heard of the Nexus 4 and wouldn't care either way if they did.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You guys are mistaking message-board-enthusiasm for real-world-enthusiasm. It's not a story, because 99.9% of the population never heard of the Nexus 4 and wouldn't care either way if they did.

Isn't it kinda the point of the news to report about stuff people have never heard about?

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Isn't it kinda the point of the news to report about stuff people have never heard about?

Only if it's relevant to their lives and interests. I could tell you a hundred scandalous stories of poor corporate performance in my industry, but unless you're somehow connected to tthat industry you'd never care a lick.

ctechnow

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

I agree, this AM under my local news tech section it talks about some silly apps that no one has ever heard of or would care about. Google comes out with a new phone with all kinds of order/supply/demand problems and that is not news? Especially when they just had a similar problem with a different Nexus device, news coverage should be FEEDING off of this. If Microsoft, Samsung or Apple had a disaster like this you bet that it would be all over the news but to just leave out Google's mistakes? It just doesn't make sense to me.

KenDavidson

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I think it comes down to a few issues. 1. The major part of the cellular users have no idea what Nexus is or why they would want it. They are happy to buy their carrier subsidized devices and have no concept of what open source is or what it would mean to them. It is people like those on the this forum who are wanting this type of technology and freedom and even realize it is possilbe. It is not a news story to the majoity of the population base and they don't even know Google released a new phone. On the other hand iPhone is a household word and will be a major news story.

Carriers do a lot of advertising,. when is the last time you saw a Google TV ad? Those same carriers do not want information about a superior technology, unlocked phone being available.

ctechnow

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I see your point but let's leave out the fact that its a phone that initially is only in T-Mobile stores. It's a product form Google that had huge launch issues. At the end of the day a HUGE company, GOOGLE made a HUGE mistake. That is news no matter what the device or service is.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz