Nexus 4 Petitions Circulating in the Android World

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
You know how I know that you have either no idea how business works or have never had to deal with a high demand product ordering and distribution system?

That's right, everything you said is the tip off

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

I do logistics and distribution all day, every day. Could not agree with you more, very few people here seem to have any real-world experience with moving physical products in a crisis mode.

Buying stuff off Amazon doesn't qualify you to judge how a global supply chain works.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
You know how I know that you have either no idea how business works or have never had to deal with a high demand product ordering and distribution system?

Who are you responding to? Hopefully not the software engineer who deals with online store software.... :confused:

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Official Response: They sold out. They said sorry, they're refunding the shipping if you got backordered. It happens. Move on. This is still just a phone we're talking about.

I agree with you that this isn't something to commit suicide over, but Google needs to deal with their incompetence in the future with new device launchers, such as taking pre-orders. Even now, they could allow customers to pre-order for when the next available batch is in, instead of forcing them to play another game of refresh roulette.

You know how I know that you have no idea how business works?

That's right, you fail to grasp the concept that one of the most important aspects of a successful business is customer satisfaction. The average consumer doesn't care about the logistics of a high-demand product ordering and distribution system. All they care about is the availability of the product that they wish to purchase on the date, and at the price, that it was advertised.

Last edited:

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Some of us are in business. :eek: In fact, I was sitting on in our office in Mountain View, with a big, phat, fast connection, refreshing the store pages and trying to checkout. Only thing I could've done that I didnt was drive over to 1600 Ampitheatre Way and plug in to their own network.

I can only imagine the experience of someone on a home cable/DSL connection, or over WiFi, or....

I still think the petitions are silly and won't get you everything+pony that the authors expect. But I think there's more of a story here than just "they sold out." A lot of people had all kinds of trouble just buying the things. The Google Play store is not new technology in its infancy; online stores have been figured out, as have load balancing and proxy services.

Last edited:

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you that this isn't something to suicide over, but Google needs to deal with their incompetence in the future with new device launchers, such as taking pre-orders. Even now, they could allow customers to pre-order for when the next available batch is in, instead of forcing them to play another game of refresh roulette.

You know how I know that you have no idea how business works?

That's right, you fail to grasp the concept that one of the most important aspects of a successful business is customer satisfaction. The average consumer doesn't care about the logistics of a high-demand product ordering and distribution system. All they care about is the availability of the product that they wish to purchase on the date, and at the price, that it was advertised.

You seem to think that it is possible to please everyone, kinda unrealistic don't you think? I would also Hazzard to guess that 75% of the people waiting to pre order we not your typical consumer

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
The post directly above the one you quoted
LMAO Well if you've got some insight into online commerce software and provisioning of your own, please enlighten us. Just snarking "I don't think you know anything" does not a compelling argument make. Standing by to receive your wisdom.....

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I do think the petition idea is ridiculous at best. It isn't going to solve a single problem, and will only waste the time of the poor employee who has to delete it from their email.

However, as I read the comments on this thread I see a common theme. A) Corporations do not care about Customer Service in the least. and B) We are slowly becoming okay with that.

It's sad to see. You can go into town today, and be completely polite and kind and still see retail stores who treat you like garbage. No one cares if you are happy or getting what you paid for, as long as they get theirs. I also have to kind of laugh at how Google is one of the largest companies in the world, and they are not unfamiliar with having a global presense, but now we act like they simply can't handle the ordering of a new device. If Google Play is going to be taken seriously, they need to take a serious look at how they fill orders and treat people. I don't care if a device gets backordered, but Google should. That doesn't mean they can control it, but they need to plan a little better with their inventory and communication to the customers who get a little bit of the stiff in these situations.

I'm not a CEO as you can tell, and you can comment on my lack of business savvy. I don't profess to be Warren Buffet. However I do lament the way that we no longer expect or anticipate good service and you get mocked if you do. Again, I know there are issues that Google faced in this launch of the Nexus 4. I understand the problems that can arise. But I also think that if anyone SHOULD be able to enjoy a successful device launch, it's Apple and Google.

pceasar

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
In all honesty people.....especially those that have phones.......whether you like petitions or not whether you think they work or not. Whether you think everyone here is childish and wants stuff right now or not. There is a certain reality.....this reality contains a mixture of issues, Some people weren't able to order a phone, I could call them suckers, sure I could do that since I was able to order. Some people were able to order but their order is in limbo, I could also call them suckers and whinney babies, mine is in limbo so sure I could do that. Some people were angry at not even getting notified about the phone going on sale....again suckers right they should have gotten some other phone right?

My point is THIS............google asks for feedback on my purchase experience because they need to know how they are doing.....this petition...though not signed by me or started by me is simply that, FEEDBACK.... this is not apple, who has a specific policy that says you can complain about it all day and its up to us to choose to ignore you or listen to your suggestion, not credit you, and then implement your suggestion anyway. I have an ASUS tablet and have been through 1 or 2 more devices for which petitions were signed for.....sure its not legal action....BUT it is feedback which in some cases led to a GPS dongle or other remedies because companies receive feedback. Maybe Google may choose to do pre-orders to gauge the amount of demand out there, maybe they'll put some of that programming power/knowledge to work to ensure no over purchasing happens, whatever the case. The consumer has a right to provide FEEDBACK, sure they can choose to buy else where like I did when I left iPhone because Steve wasn't going to listen to me or any other customer that wanted something different in their phone, that's one of the reason many choose android over iOS because of options....Google listened to the apple consumer FEEDBACK and provided options!

NOW, everyone could be submissive, don't rock the boat, don't ask for change cause nothings gonna happen kind of people, but really, that's not the nature of the android community, respect it for what it is, they are trying to change Google and you are trying to change them.....its life, but I accept them all because they make up a part of this community and sometimes they actually change things for the good. I could say stop berating the people that sometimes cause positive change for Android but then I'd be berating you guys....vicious circle this thing HUH?......

Long live the Nexus!!!

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
... However, as I read the comments on this thread I see a common theme. A) Corporations do not care about Customer Service in the least. and B) We are slowly becoming okay with that.

It's sad to see. You can go into town today, and be completely polite and kind and still see retail stores who treat you like garbage. No one cares if you are happy or getting what you paid for, as long as they get theirs....
It varies by company. There are some retail chains that take great effort (and pride) in treating the customer really well. I've been a Costco customer for nearly 20 years, and have some astonishing tales of bend-over-backward return and support responses. They don't care if I bring back a BD player 19 months later, it was bricked by Samsung's firmware update, they still carry an equivalent model, bam -- returned and replaced, no question. (Consumer Reports reviews big box stores from time to time, and some of their findings were surprising, some not, between Wal*Mart, Sears, Target, K*mart, et al.)

Since Google is essentially the sole retailer of their Nexus phone (for now, ignoring T-Mobile's grossly marked up offering), then they can be as gracious and efficacious, or mute and incompetent, as they want to. It comes down to credibility. I was hoping they'd delivery this year's unveiling with the usual(?) Google panache, but ... it wasn't meant to be.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
It varies by company. There are some retail chains that take great effort (and pride) in treating the customer really well. I've been a Costco customer for nearly 20 years, and have some astonishing tales of bend-over-backward return and support responses. They don't care if I bring back a BD player 19 months later, it was bricked by Samsung's firmware update, they still carry an equivalent model, bam -- returned and replaced, no question. (Consumer Reports reviews big box stores from time to time, and some of their findings were surprising, some not, between Wal*Mart, Sears, Target, K*mart, et al.)

Since Google is essentially the sole retailer of their Nexus phone (for now, ignoring T-Mobile's grossly marked up offering), then they can be as gracious and efficacious, or mute and incompetent, as they want to. It comes down to credibility. I was hoping they'd delivery this year's unveiling with the usual(?) Google panache, but ... it wasn't meant to be.

I've actually had horrid service from Costco. Especially in regards to their little food area near the checkout stands. They act like you're putting them out and i've experienced this at 3 different locations. But I do see your point that there are a few businesses who pride themselves in their service. But the trend is certainly going the other direction where the increasing majority couldn't care less. Just a few off the top of my head that I can think of: Best Buy (worst return policy of all time), Impact Guns near my home in Utah (I waited 40 minutes at a register to buy a handgun that only they had in stock), Costco has been horrible for me.

Google has been good for me so far, but I can appreciate the frustration that people have had recently with the play store.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I do think the petition idea is ridiculous at best. It isn't going to solve a single problem, and will only waste the time of the poor employee who has to delete it from their email.

However, as I read the comments on this thread I see a common theme. A) Corporations do not care about Customer Service in the least. and B) We are slowly becoming okay with that.

It's sad to see. You can go into town today, and be completely polite and kind and still see retail stores who treat you like garbage. No one cares if you are happy or getting what you paid for, as long as they get theirs. I also have to kind of laugh at how Google is one of the largest companies in the world, and they are not unfamiliar with having a global presense, but now we act like they simply can't handle the ordering of a new device. If Google Play is going to be taken seriously, they need to take a serious look at how they fill orders and treat people. I don't care if a device gets backordered, but Google should. That doesn't mean they can control it, but they need to plan a little better with their inventory and communication to the customers who get a little bit of the stiff in these situations.

I'm not a CEO as you can tell, and you can comment on my lack of business savvy. I don't profess to be Warren Buffet. However I do lament the way that we no longer expect or anticipate good service and you get mocked if you do. Again, I know there are issues that Google faced in this launch of the Nexus 4. I understand the problems that can arise. But I also think that if anyone SHOULD be able to enjoy a successful device launch, it's Apple and Google.

Google needs to put in a better effort. But if they're not as serious about the Nexus line, we'll continue to see threads like this one.

As long as the Nexus gets into consumers' hands, I think Google is fine with that - however that happens.

Now here's the question (to everyone) - does Google's handling of the Nexus 7 launch and now the "botched" Nexus 4 launch dissuade you from buying Google's Nexus products? I mean - if you're really that upset about it, you wouldn't be supporting that company by buying or using their products. Or at $299 for an unlocked HSPA+ compatible phone, are you willing to dismiss the initial ordering issues?

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
No, the thing that keeps me from their devices is their foolish insistence on crippling their devices with too little battery, non removable batteries, laughable built in storage, and GSM only. If I hadn't got my GNex at Verizon, I'd have a measly 16 gigabite, puttering ATT or T-Mobile toy phone.

Sent from the red headed stepchild of the Nexii.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
... Now here's the question (to everyone) - does Google's handling of the Nexus 7 launch and now the "botched" Nexus 4 launch dissuade you from buying Google's Nexus products? I mean - if you're really that upset about it, you wouldn't be supporting that company by buying or using their products. Or at $299 for an unlocked HSPA+ compatible phone, are you willing to dismiss the initial ordering issues?
I'm going to be more cautious. I read a post here from a fellow in the UK several weeks back, who was seething that he'd ordered a tablet for his daughter's birthday, shipping was delayed, he called to cancel, thought they'd cancelled his order, but then they shipped and charged him after he'd bought locally IIRC. He was fuming, and though I kinda made fun of him, I can appreciate what he went through.

After this, I will definitely not be ordering during peak load times or right after changes. I might order mine after 1/1/13, or wait until 2/28/13 or so. Sorry Google, you've made this consumer wary of your online "store."

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
No, the thing that keeps me from their devices is their foolish insistence on crippling their devices with too little battery, non removable batteries, laughable built in storage, and GSM only. If I hadn't got my GNex at Verizon, I'd have a measly 16 gigabite, puttering ATT or T-Mobile toy phone.

Sent from the red headed stepchild of the Nexii.

So are you moving away from Android? If you stick with Android, you're supporting Google, regardless if you get a Nexus or not.

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
So are you moving away from Android? If you stick with Android, you're supporting Google, regardless if you get a Nexus or not.

You're only supporting their software if you buy an Android device. You're supporting their poor hardware and features decisions if you but a Nexus.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams