Nexus 4 Getting Hot

LNWJ

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Mine gets warm while on hspa+ but not so much with WiFi. Definitely less than my Nexus S 4G... That sucker would get down right scalding.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I've been playing around with mine for about 3 hours now on WiFi and its still room temperature.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central room Forums

sherwin892

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else's phone getting hot? Not warm, but hot? My phone is getting hot in the top half of the phone. Also, I can hear crackling when I'm on a call sometimes. I think I have a bad device. Anyone else experiencing this? Dreading the return/exchange process.

Mine too gets unusually hot. I'm at the gym listening to music and texting and browsing, same stuff I did with Galaxy Nexus and I can feel the heat on the legs thru my shorts. Its hot to the touch. Hhmm

cinek

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I still use my iphone as im waiting for the bumper or some other sort of protection but I played angry birds for about 40 mins yesterday and it got fairly warm at the top, not hot, not too hot to handle as some say - hopefully my one is not affected as such

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The glass near the top of the phone is supposed to get noticeably warmer than the rest of the phone when in use (most noticeable during heavy gaming or high usage of the phone) it is abnormal for the phone to get hot and it may be damaging the internal battery.

sidamos

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
AW: Nexus 4 Getting Hot

Mine gets warm very fast when using Google maps outside with weak signal. Other than that, it is OK.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
It's common to get warm when using maps, gaming or on a phone call but it shouldn't be in general use. A software update may also fix this. My SGS2 used to get really hot in GB but stopped when I updated to ICS.

ChrisL300

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Haven't noticed this before, had my Nexus 4 for about 2 weeks.

Put it on charge this morning, with the supplied charger, picked it up 2 hours later and its REALLY hot. Hottest at the back, near the lens.

It was in a gel case, I've removed it but its still worryingly hot.

sam59

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
New nexus 4. Downloaded music and listened to 20 mins, then took phone call and it was too hot to hold to my ear. Does anyone have any feedback from Google? Dread an exchange process...its also got bad call reception - worse than my old non-smartphone on same UK vodafone
network. Is that an issue for anyone else please?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
New nexus 4. Downloaded music and listened to 20 mins, then took phone call and it was too hot to hold to my ear. Does anyone have any feedback from Google? Dread an exchange process...its also got bad call reception - worse than my old non-smartphone on same UK vodafone
network. Is that an issue for anyone else please?

That's not good. It's common to get warm but certainly not too hot to hold. Unfortunately I think you may need to call Google. The RMA process is not horrible as you can still keep your phone until they replacements arrives. Did you just get it? :mad:

sam59

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
2 weeks ago, yes. My first smartphone so still getting to know it. WiFi and call reception are poor as well as the heat issue. Played music this am after charging phone overnight. System tuner app has CPU temp at average 55?today.Phone is warm but not as hot as last night. Not sure how that sounds to you guys. Am going to call Google.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
2 weeks ago, yes. My first smartphone so still getting to know it. WiFi and call reception are poor as well as the heat issue. Played music this am after charging phone overnight. System tuner app has CPU temp at average 55?today.Phone is warm but not as hot as last night. Not sure how that sounds to you guys. Am going to call Google.
55 degrees is normal. Even cool.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, unfortunately it's getting hot. As Bobby Brown would say, too hot to handle. It takes about 4 min of just browsing or what ever.

My guess, if not defective, is that you have several background operations running, with the extra browsing screen time putting it over the top with the processor going full bore. My phone will get hot when my daughter goes crazy playing some highly intensive games like Littlest Pet Shop which performs some really aggressive web connectivity on top of the on screen graphics, etc etc... It seriously rips through my battery at about a 10% clip per 30 mins. I wish she would get bored with this game and move on to something else. The only thing that seems to stop her from playing it is the phone getting too hot. LOL

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
My guess, if not defective, is that you have several background operations running, with the extra browsing screen time putting it over the top with the processor going full bore. My phone will get hot when my daughter goes crazy playing some highly intensive games like Littlest Pet Shop which performs some really aggressive web connectivity on top of the on screen graphics, etc etc... It seriously rips through my battery at about a 10% clip per 30 mins. I wish she would get bored with this game and move on to something else. The only thing that seems to stop her from playing it is the phone getting too hot. LOL
Lol maybe it could be considered a feature then :p

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm in England, so 55C not F, using just music player. I've asked for a replacement but am worried it will be the same. I'm a bit jinxed when it comes to tech.
Yikes that's really hot. Sounds like trouble. I would do a factory reset if you haven't already and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't then I would call Google.

Richard46

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Mine has been getting pretty warm as well. I've had it for about 3 weeks. It was getting warm for the first week but it's been getting hotter and hotter. I might have to get a replacement Nexus ;-;

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781