Anyone activated Nexus 4 on ATT

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I currently have an iPhone 4S and waiting on my Nexus 4 and plan to just put the sim in the Nexus and use with my current plan until my contract runs out in May.
I can currently run the speedtest app and in some locations get speeds in the 6mb range... so I would have to think that it's set to use HSPA+ no?
I never had to call AT&T to change anything going from an iPhone 2G > 3GS > 4S.

no iphone data is different.. it might not work right

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I currently have an iPhone 4S and waiting on my Nexus 4 and plan to just put the sim in the Nexus and use with my current plan until my contract runs out in May.
I can currently run the speedtest app and in some locations get speeds in the 6mb range... so I would have to think that it's set to use HSPA+ no?
I never had to call AT&T to change anything going from an iPhone 2G > 3GS > 4S.
if you bought it in store they automatically setup the plan properly..

havanahjoe

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
did you check to see if MMS worked? some of the info i found stated that you had to make a seperate APN for mms using the wap.cingular setting for just mms.. but the hspa settings they were using didnt have as much detail as the latest i posted

MMS works with the phone APN. This morning I am having issues though, my data connection keeps dropping, so I edited the APN and changed it to IPV4 only. Not sure if having IPV4/IPV6 was causing the problem, since it had been working yesterday

aireyc1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm on the regular unlimited LTE plan as I have an HTC One X. I just popped the SIM out of my One X and put it in the Nexus 4 and it worked. It was a little slow so I updated the APN settings and I was getting HSPA+ speeds. The only issue was the speedtest app was not working other than for ping.

Edit: The phone was reading HSPA+ as well.

havanahjoe

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
IThe only issue was the speedtest app was not working other than for ping.

Edit: The phone was reading HSPA+ as well.

The speedtest app would not work for me using the wap.cingular APN, but before my plan was upgraded I was unable to use the phone APN, I would get no data. So it looks like yours is working, but it's odd that the speedtest app will not work. What do your ping times look like on the app? HSPA+ should have around 100 ms or less (to a local server)

valpd

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
The speedtest app would not work for me using the wap.cingular APN, but before my plan was upgraded I was unable to use the phone APN, I would get no data. So it looks like yours is working, but it's odd that the speedtest app will not work. What do your ping times look like on the app? HSPA+ should have around 100 ms or less (to a local server)

My ping is around 222. 7kbps down 512k up

havanahjoe

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
My ping is around 222. 7kbps down 512k up

Hmm, you're definitely not using the right APN. Is the new APN (or the modified one) active on your APN screen? I had to delete the default wap.cingular from my list since it was using that one by default. Another symptom of using the wrong APN (and being on the wrong plan) was that speedtest app would detect me in Texas, since the public IP I was coming from was the same everyone else is NATted to. Once I used the right APN, speedtest.net detects me in San Diego and uses the local server.

valpd

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, you're definitely not using the right APN. Is the new APN (or the modified one) active on your APN screen? I had to delete the default wap.cingular from my list since it was using that one by default. Another symptom of using the wrong APN (and being on the wrong plan) was that speedtest app would detect me in Texas, since the public IP I was coming from was the same everyone else is NATted to. Once I used the right APN, speedtest.net detects me in San Diego and uses the local server.

How do I find out?

Mobimop

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
You don't "activate" GSM phones. You activate the SIM and put it in.

Go to AT&T, tell them you want to start a plan and you're bringing your own phone. They'll activate and give you a SIM, you'll be good to go.

I tried that before with my gnex and was told that I had to purchase a new phone with a contract, they wanted nothing to do with my Nexus. Anyone else have this experience?

havanahjoe

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
How do I find out?

This is the wrong plan:

ScreenShot2012-11-28at73559AM.png

This is the right plan:

ScreenShot2012-11-28at110713AM.png

Once the plan is changed and you have the right APN (don't use wap.cingular), you should now be able to run speed tests in the speedtest app and you should see lower latency.

Here's a result from this morning at home with AT&T:

694579920.png

Here's a speed test ran on my laptop tethered to the phone before the plan change:

ScreenShot2012-11-27at83914PM.png

Notice the high latency. This was also run at home.

Hope this helps

tpd15

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have the Nexus, went into an AT&T store and got a micro-SIM from them. The attendant asked for the IMEI number and was psyched when I let him play with the Nexus. So I can only hope that my data plan is correctly provisioned (I have the unlimited plan).

The reason I say I have to hope, is that I just called AT&T tech support to make sure my plan is 4G enabled, and the guy told me AT&T will not have anything to do with helping me because I don't have one of their phones. After a bit of back and forth about what they won't do, the guy HUNG UP ON ME! WTF?! I just saved then $700 by sticking with my old plan & lot buying a new phone, and the guy hangs up on me!?! What kind of service is that?

monkey28rb

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
The only difference is the UMTS tracking feature? I have "Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE with VVM"
I would assume I do not need to change my data plan, since the iPhone should be configured to pick up HSPA+ regardless. All I would need to do when I get the Nexus would be configure the APN settings.

havanahjoe

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The reason I say I have to hope, is that I just called AT&T tech support to make sure my plan is 4G enabled, and the guy told me AT&T will not have anything to do with helping me because I don't have one of their phones. After a bit of back and forth about what they won't do, the guy HUNG UP ON ME! WTF?! I just saved then $700 by sticking with my old plan & lot buying a new phone, and the guy hangs up on me!?! What kind of service is that?

Their customer service is AWFUL. I spent an hour trying to get my SIM card activated, got it at the store but they were too busy. I kept being transferred all over the place because my ordere was not complete (I ordered a Lumia 920 that is still pending shipping) I complained on Twitter tagging their @attcustomercare account, and a Social Media Customer Service manager called me and got it activated it for me.

NEVER assume a rep will do the right thing. Check what your current plan is online, if it does not say 4G, you won't get the right speeds. I was able to get them to switch my plan by just calling the tech support number and picking option 2, then 0. The girl that I got was very helpful and polite.

havanahjoe

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The only difference is the UMTS tracking feature? I have "Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE with VVM"
I would assume I do not need to change my data plan, since the iPhone should be configured to pick up HSPA+ regardless. All I would need to do when I get the Nexus would be configure the APN settings.

I have seen many people say LTE plans do not work. They also say iPhone plans don't work either, because they use different APNs probably. The 4S plan that donm527 recommends does seem to work.

I don't know why the LTE plans won't work, since I'm sure LTE phones get HSPA+ access when there's no LTE coverage, but the known way to make it work, is have them put a 4G plan on your account.

tpd15

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
After getting hung up on, I called back and have gotten someone far more cooperative. However, he's having trouble adding 4G to my unlimited account, without dropping the unlimited service. He tried adding a Captivate, and then an Inspire 4G, as suggested earlier, and that doesn't seem to have worked immediately. However, I switched to the phone APN described earlier, power-cycled the phone, and I now can get the Speedtest to work (3 Mb down!). Status says I am getting HSPA 10.

noir24

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I had a pretty easy time with ATT this morning. I used their online chat option. I basically asked the rep to please check if my current data plan was 4G HSPA+ compatible. I figured it wouldn't since I originally established this data plan in 2008 on the HTC Tilt. She told me what I expected, my current plan was 3G only. I then explained to her that I would like to switch my plan to make it 4G HSPA+ because I would be switching to a 4G HSPA + capable phone. I asked her first to make sure that this would not affect my unlimited data plan, she said it would not be a problem. She then said she had upgraded my plan to 4G HSPA+ and I would be good to go.

Looked @ my ATT online account and it does state a change on my data plan had occured today, (still listed as unlimited). I then switched my APN (Galaxy Nexus) to the AT&T HSPA+ settings listed here and everything is working correctly (was previously on the older Cingular APN). Note back in 2011 when I first got the Galaxy Nexus, I tried to use the AT&T HSPA+ APN settings and it would not work correctly no matter how many times I tried it so the fact it is working now gives me confidence I'm setup on the correct plan.

When I go to AT&T tonight to get a new simcard, I will be interested to see what APN it will automatically set me up on.

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
when you go into look at the APN setting there should be a green dot beside the one your using.. you have to select the right one after you add the new APN