Anyone activated Nexus 4 on ATT

map1978

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok think I might need a little help here...

I added the new APN (the one listed on the other page) save it and rebooted the phone. Now the cell bars on top are grey and not blue with the H. I tried calling the phone and it rings but how do I know if I got it all setup properly?

I went to AT&T today and got a new micro sim and was all provisioned to the proper data plan.

EDIT: looks like calls work and no data :/

Any input is helpful, thanks

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
The only difference is the UMTS tracking feature? I have "Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE with VVM"
I would assume I do not need to change my data plan, since the iPhone should be configured to pick up HSPA+ regardless. All I would need to do when I get the Nexus would be configure the APN settings.
a iphone plan wont work.. iphone data is different than regular smartphone data

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Ok think I might need a little help here...

I added the new APN (the one listed on the other page) save it and rebooted the phone. Now the cell bars on top are grey and not blue with the H. I tried calling the phone and it rings but how do I know if I got it all setup properly?

I went to AT&T today and got a new micro sim and was all provisioned to the proper data plan.

EDIT: looks like calls work and no data :/

Any input is helpful, thanks

sounds like you entered something wrong or deleted something you werent suppose too

valpd

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I went from an iPhone 5 to a Nexus 4. What concerns me is I went from an Unlimited LTE data plan to a Data Unlimited SmartPhone Personal when I went to an at&t store and they gave me my sim card. What data plan should I be on? Because I am getting very slow speedtest.net results as well. I go frmo hspa 10 to hspa 15, but speedtest.net still shows very slow speeds????

Last edited:

jbmeicher

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello,
Has anyone activated the nexus 4 on ATT? How did you do that? Did you go to an ATT store ? Did the phone work with no problems with ATT?
Does ATT have to set up with settings so MMS, Text messaging all that work?
Thanks

I received my nexus in the mail on the 19th. I had picked up my micro sim from the AT&T store the week prior so when my device arrived I brought it there and handed it to the very pumped employee who was stoked to set it up.

He got my data, sms, and voice calls working just fine but I realized my mms messages were not going through. I found the correct settings, changed them, restarted my phone and since no problems.

map1978

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok well I doubled checked the APN and everything is wrote out properly and still just get grey bar with no data
When I switch to the original APN, the blue bars appear with the H
very confused and im usually not when it comes to this stuff

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I went from an iPhone 5 to a Nexus 4. What concerns me is I went from an Unlimited LTE data plan to a Data Unlimited SmartPhone Personal when I went to an at&t store and they gave me my sim card. What data plan should I be on? Because I am getting very slow speedtest.net results as well.

should be what they set you to but for a 4G phone

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm not getting H+ on the data indicator, only H. Is this normal or is there an APN that fixes this? TIA.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

jflexe99

Droids!
Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I called AT&T today and activated my new micro sim. No charge for anything...free SIM free Activation. I will make sure I still have unlimited data. I have two setup for my APN, AT&T 4G and the Cingular setup so I can test which is faster. But I am getting H+ symbol and everything seems silky smooth.

AWESOME PHONE! Can't wait till the battery breaks in. Ha. About 7 hours, started at 68% or so now at like...31%, lots of downloads and texting.

map1978

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Got it all fixed finally
Stupid ATT rep put me on a blackberry data plan...good thing I called and got it back on the proper HSPA+ unlimited data plan I had.
I will be testing this new APN...looking good so far!
Thanks guys

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Got it all fixed finally
Stupid ATT rep put me on a blackberry data plan...good thing I called and got it back on the proper HSPA+ unlimited data plan I had.
I will be testing this new APN...looking good so far!
Thanks guys

I'll have to call in and see what plan I have. Not getting the H+ symbol only the H. So I'll see if they need to change it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
You only get the H+ when you're actually using data, your phone will drop back to just H when it's idle to save battery.

Try loading some webpages and keep an eye on the icon.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
You only get the H+ when you're actually using data, your phone will drop back to just H when it's idle to save battery.

Try loading some webpages and keep an eye on the icon.

Ya mine doesn't do that.

rdogger

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
For those who actually got ATT to change their plan, did you use a random imei for the phone that they put into your account? They keep asking for my Nexus 4 imei even though it doesn't show up in the system. Then when I say that I need to change my plan they are lost. I went into a store the guy said if I got the imei from another phone it would work. I do not have any 4G only phones or know anyone with one. Would one of you happen to have a spare 4G that could pm the imei info to get thing's set up.

havanahjoe

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
For those who actually got ATT to change their plan, did you use a random imei for the phone that they put into your account? They keep asking for my Nexus 4 imei even though it doesn't show up in the system. Then when I say that I need to change my plan they are lost. I went into a store the guy said if I got the imei from another phone it would work. I do not have any 4G only phones or know anyone with one. Would one of you happen to have a spare 4G that could pm the imei info to get thing's set up.

As mentioned above, you need to use a dummy IMEI. Tell them to use one from an Inspire 4G. That's what they did for me. If the rep has no idea, try calling again. You can give them your Nexus 4 IMEI, then you tell them that it won't be recognized in the system because it is not an AT&T branded phone, but tell them it's an HSPA+ 4G capable device. That should be enough information.

Once they make the plan change, you can verify it online and make sure it shows up as a 4G data plan

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Question,
Someone who has did the steps and has HSPA+ working correctly can you post a screenshot of both your phones status screen which shows the network type and also the phones service indicator in the notification bar? I'd like to compare to mine and see what its suppose to look like.

Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

havanahjoe

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Question,
Someone who has did the steps and has HSPA+ working correctly can you post a screenshot of both your phones status screen which shows the network type and also the phones service indicator in the notification bar? I'd like to compare to mine and see what its suppose to look like.

Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

My indicator looks the same now with the phone HSPA+ APN as it did with the wap.cingular APN on the 3G plan. I've never seen H+ on it. When you're on the wrong plan, the phone APN will not give you any data, your indicator will be gray.

This is the phone when idle:

Screenshot_2012-11-29-18-50-20.png

This is when there's a data transfer:

Screenshot_2012-11-29-18-50-47.png