Anyone activated Nexus 4 on ATT

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
This needs to be a sticky until most get there phones shipped
This has been very helpful to me and I'm sure others

Just because a mod didn't create it doesn't mean it's not deserving

I agree. There's a lot of misinformation especially for those (like me) with iPhone 5 LTE data plans that DON'T need to get AT&T to re provision their account data in order to get data working on a Nexus 4.

If you're on an grandfathered unlimited data plan (like me) and get your account data re provisioned from LTE to 4G you will give up your 5GB data cap and will begin to get throttled at 3GB.

Keep in mind that you will not automatically get working data when you insert you nano SIM on your N4 but this is how to get it up and running:

You need is a nano SIM adapter
Enter the APN settings on this thread
once you have entered the correct APN (you might have to reboot) you'll have data on your Nexus 4.

Don't listen to anyone that tells you that you need to get your account re provisioned if you have an iPhone 5 LTE data plan in order to enable data on your Nexus 4 because thats simply is not true.

Ladeef

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
My speeds were not good with the LTE plan or iphone plan. The 4g plan got me about double the speed. I tried all different kinds of APN's.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
My speeds were not good with the LTE plan or iphone plan. The 4g plan got me about double the speed. I tried all different kinds of APN's.
My HSPA speeds are identical on my Nexus 4 and iPhone 5 and I'm still on my iPhone 5 LTE plan.

BTW I suggest you find out what your data cap is now that you're on a 4G plan, More than likely you went from a 5GB data cap to a 3GB data cap, thats if you're on a grandfathered unlimited data plan, if not you're good to go.

valpd

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hspa+ speeds are great for ma after changing the APN. I have 12mb uVerse at hone. Why are my WiFi speeds 5-6mb? My iP5 got 8-11mb mainly.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
According to my understanding after talking with my Employer's at&t Corp. Sales Rep, the threshold for throttling is not determined by the type of plan, but rather the APN your handset is using to request DATA traffic.

So, the PTA APN allows for 5GB before your line is throttled, while the phone APN has a 3GB threshold before your line is throttled.

As always I provide this information without warranty for accuracy as I have in this case garnered it (the information) from talking with people who are NOT on the technical side of the operation.

Dan

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Went into AT&T and they changed it to 3GB of smartphone data on 4G finally with a new sim card. Getting 5 - 6 Mbps down in my apartment and it finally does say HSPA+ 15 when its in use. Does AT&T just not have good HSPA+? Seeing T Mobile speed tests with 9+ Mbps down.

EDIT: Changed my APN back to the default because the on in this thread was only giving me 2 Mbps down and wasn't working well. wap.cingular is the APN.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Nevermind my online AT&T account just updated and the rep gave me Datapro 3GB for Blackberry 3G/4G. Will this still work?

EDIT: Getting really ing tired of dealing with AT&T to be completely honest.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
BTW this is what I'm getting on my iPhone 5 LTE plan without re provisioning just added an APN. The great thing is that I can go back to my iPhone 5 and still enjoy LTE.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354412657263.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354412657263.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 56

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
2 - 3 Mbps down with the HSPA+ APN

Thats abut average and it depends on what area you are on. What are you getting now?

This is the APN I'm using I got it from another thread and I'm getting the same HSPA+ speeds like I was getting on my iPhone

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/226874-nano-sim-adapter-2.html

Name: (whatever you want it to be)
APN: phone
Proxy:
Port:
Username:
Password:
Server:
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type:
APN type: default,mms,supl

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Thats abut average and it depends on what area you are on. What are you getting now?

This is the APN I'm using I got it from another thread and I'm getting the same HSPA+ speeds like I was getting on my iPhone

Proxy:
Port:
Username:
Password:
Server:
Authentication type:

Same APN except mines has IPv4 and 6. On the phone with AT&T currently.

joeydj4u

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering how this would work being as I am in a similar situation but own a GS3 at the moment. I'm not sure that I'll be using the Nexus 4 alone because once my GS3 gets JB I'll want to switch back, and check it out. I don't want to have to cancel my LTE to downgrade to HSPA+, would like to be able to swap back to my GS3 when necessary. This gives me hope, thanks!

I noticed on my GS3 is shows up in kbps range, but on my iPad it shows up in mbps. I have been wondering this as well.

Did your Nexus 4 work on the LTE plan or did you have change it to HSPA+? My wife's GS3 is on a LTE plan and I want to be able to use both phones on the same plan.. I hav'nt recieved my N4 yet:-\

I'm a little confused about the whole LTE plan not working:confused: ... On a GS3, if there is no LTE signal does'nt the phone just down grade to the HSPA+?
Why would you have to change your plan

Can I use the IMEI from my wifes GS3 to activate my sim? According to GS3 phone specs it runs on LTE and HSPA+ as well.

Sorry for all the noob questions after reading this entire thread, I was not sure?

Thanks in advance:)

Last edited:

joeydj4u

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site

Proxy:
Port:
Username:
Password:
Server:
Authentication type:

Can some one clarify APN type?:confused:

APN type: default,supl,agps,fota,dun OR APN Type: default,supl,mms,hipri OR APN type: default,mms,supl

joeydj4u

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
To nexus prime

From what i've gathered from this thread, you also need to make sure you have the correct data plan through At&t (4G HSPA+ data plan)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair