Anyone activated Nexus 4 on ATT

havanahjoe

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Today I finally got the Lumia 920 I had ordered almost a month ago, and when the phone shipped, my current SIM card stopped working and when I activated the new one I had to have them change my data plan to an LTE one so that I could use LTE on the Lumia.

After the plan change, I am now on

DataPro 3GB for Smartphone LTE No Visual Voice Mail

And even though the same APN I was using before (the phone APN) still works, my speeds with the Nexus 4 are now much lower. I can only get around 4 Mbps at home. So, another confirmation that an LTE plan does not work for HSPA+ speeds. I wonder if that means that LTE phones are not capable of reaching HSPA+ speeds in the markets that have HSPA+ but not LTE.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Today I finally got the Lumia 920 I had ordered almost a month ago, and when the phone shipped, my current SIM card stopped working and when I activated the new one I had to have them change my data plan to an LTE one so that I could use LTE on the Lumia.

After the plan change, I am now on

And even though the same APN I was using before (the phone APN) still works, my speeds with the Nexus 4 are now much lower. I can only get around 4 Mbps at home. So, another confirmation that an LTE plan does not work for HSPA+ speeds. I wonder if that means that LTE phones are not capable of reaching HSPA+ speeds in the markets that have HSPA+ but not LTE.

I'm currently on Datapro 3GB for Smartphone 4G LTE and getting 4 to 7 Mbps down which the AT&T rep said were the correct speeds for HSPA+ in my area. Been having some issues though with some things taking a long time to go through such as email and google talk messages.

LandsAlot4

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Well I wasted 2 hours. Suggested the inspire 4g and they were not able to give me DataPro 3Gb for Smartphone 4G

Something about the stock code wouldn't let them because its not a AT&T branded phone. Quite disappointed I am stuck with DataPro 3Gb for Smartphone

havanahjoe

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
They can be pretty useless. Try another agent.

I just realized that I can get HSPA+ speeds with the current LTE plan, the problem was that in the same spot, the speeds vary a lot, so even though I ran the test at the same time, the network was a lot more saturated and could not get the 12 Mbps I had seen at home after I switched plans. I got 12 today with the LTE plan, so that works.

kp4

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I added the N4 which arrived today as a 2nd line (for work). Currently have an iPhone 4S with unlimited data that's been grandfathered in. I went to the local ATT store and got the sim. When I originally put it in, I was under the iPhone LTE plan. I had access to internet/phone/mms but I couldn't get SpeedTest to work. Researching a little more, I decided to call ATT and get it right.

I got a really friendly ATT agent when I called in. She was all about helping me figure out the issue. I mentioned that I was reading through this thread looking for info at the same time. The key was using the Inspire 4G to get the correct IMEI so I could get the DataPro 3GB Smartphone 4G plan. I checked my account online and it was there. I updated my APN using the 'phone' APN listed. I was able to get SpeedTest to work but my d/l speeds were around 2-3mbps. I live in a high rise and its already got some spotty reception. Will try again when I'm ground level and driving around town.

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I am on a 4G LTE plan from my lumia as well until I can get it switched to a reg 4G plan. At first my speeds were kinda low...now they are decent..seems like they've gotten better throughout the day

And just a FYI to everyone else you don't need a dummy imei to get a hspa+ plan, a buddy of mine is a manager at AT&T and informed me that he will register my nexus 4 imei on my line and that he can manually change it to any plan.. Apparently managers have a code they can use to change anything

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

FYourProblems

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Anybody here come from a grandfathered unlimited 3G plan? That's what I currently have, my biggest priority when switching over to HSPA+ is going to be to keep unlimited data. Did anybody have experiences with this? I know they try at every corner to kick you off the old unlimiteds, has anybody had any problems asking them to switch over?

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Thats abut average and it depends on what area you are on. What are you getting now?

This is the APN I'm using I got it from another thread and I'm getting the same HSPA+ speeds like I was getting on my iPhone

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/226874-nano-sim-adapter-2.html

Name: (whatever you want it to be)
APN: phone
Proxy:
Port:
Username:
Password:
Server:
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type:
APN type: default,mms,supl

Your missing some of the APN type.. This is what you should have for the bottom half of the settings...

And here is the fastest I've gotten and I'm on the 4G lte plan still

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354865669177.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354865669177.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 36
  • uploadfromtaptalk1354865692433.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354865692433.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 406

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Anybody here come from a grandfathered unlimited 3G plan? That's what I currently have, my biggest priority when switching over to HSPA+ is going to be to keep unlimited data. Did anybody have experiences with this? I know they try at every corner to kick you off the old unlimiteds, has anybody had any problems asking them to switch over?

They should switch it and not lose unlimited.. Don't let them bully you with that bullish*t..

FYourProblems

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
They should switch it and not lose unlimited.. Don't let them bully you with that bullish*t..

Word, sister. I know how they be, they hate us unlimited folks, I swear one day they're going to waterboard us until we waiver our unlimited contracts and get shackled into a 3GB nonsense plan or something

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I sadly lost mine over a year ago when my wife talked me into switching to sprint "face palm".... Didn't switch back in time to get it back

swartzz

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
You will need to manually add the apn setting and that's about it.
By the way, the speed you will get is hspa and not hspa+.not sure why that is.
Still decent speed though.
It will both on a prepaid and postpaid account. Maximum data plan on prepaid is 1gb for $25 for the month, but ask the sales rep and they maybe able to stack two 1gb at a time.

Well feel free to ask me a question if you have one.

FYourProblems

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
It will both on a prepaid and postpaid account. Maximum data plan on prepaid is 1gb for $25 for the month, but ask the sales rep and they maybe able to stack two 1gb at a time.

I hope you're not talking to me, sorry I couldn't tell. I want my HSPA+!

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site

You will too get hspa+... I'm getting hspa+speeds..

Neutrino

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Working for me. I popped in my iPhone 5 SIM via a nano-micro adapter, and turned the phone on. Default APN was WAP.Cingular.com. Edited the APN with the recommended settings in the thread, and everything has worked well.

I also noted that the N4 had no problem picking up my micro cell as well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Exergy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I am on a 4G LTE plan from my lumia as well until I can get it switched to a reg 4G plan. At first my speeds were kinda low...now they are decent..seems like they've gotten better throughout the day

And just a FYI to everyone else you don't need a dummy imei to get a hspa+ plan, a buddy of mine is a manager at AT&T and informed me that he will register my nexus 4 imei on my line and that he can manually change it to any plan.. Apparently managers have a code they can use to change anything

So ask for a manager when we call?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel