Anyone activated Nexus 4 on ATT

Thomas Boeckers

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 4 on AT&T has been good except for my the main problem that I keep running in with.
1. The IMEI # on my nexus 4, tells at&t to run it 2g data speeds.
2. So I gave them an IMEI# of my HTC Vivid, and then my speeds went to hspa+ (after changing my apn settings around)
3. Then my mms stopped being able to send or receive.
4. Currently I am asking for at&t to recognize and support fully the Nexus 4.
5. I am currently running my nexus 4 on hspa+ speeds, but without mms settings.
Final thoughts, Maybe a different IMEI number would help resolve this issue. But hopefully at&t will be able to work this out for me in the next few days.

xxjmontxx

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
All of this can get confusing! What is an IMEI and where on the phone is it entered? Is it totally different than the APN? Will my Galaxy S II have the correct IMEI? How can I find out?

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
All of this can get confusing! What is an IMEI and where on the phone is it entered? Is it totally different than the APN? Will my Galaxy S II have the correct IMEI? How can I find out?

Im using my HTC One X's IMEI, I get MMS, HSPA, and no problem with voice.

APN Settings:

Name: AT&T HSPA+
APN: pta (NOTE: IF YOU DON'T HAVE AN LTE PLAN, CHANGE THIS TO "PHONE")
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port: 80 (NOTE: IF MMS ISN'T WORKING, CHANGE THIS TO "8080")
MCC: 310
MNC 410
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,admin,fota,mms,supl,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4/IPv6
APN roaming protocol: IPv4/IPv6
Bearer: Unspecified

xxjmontxx

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
So what is the IEMI? Is it a bunch of numbers? How would I find one? Does my GS2 have one and if so how could I find it and how would I know if it will work for my Nexus? If it doesn't work how could I get one from a phone like yours that is working? Sorry I'm not familiar with all of this!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Android Central Forums

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Im using my HTC One X's IMEI, I get MMS, HSPA, and no problem with voice.

APN Settings:

Name: AT&T HSPA+
APN: pta (NOTE: IF YOU DON'T HAVE AN LTE PLAN, CHANGE THIS TO "PHONE")
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port: 80 (NOTE: IF MMS ISN'T WORKING, CHANGE THIS TO "8080")
MCC: 310
MNC 410
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,admin,fota,mms,supl,hipri
APN protocol: IPv4/IPv6
APN roaming protocol: IPv4/IPv6
Bearer: Unspecified

Where did you find these settings?

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Android Central Forums

wheat5565

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi Im coming from a blackberry bold 9900 and have a grandfathered unlimited plan. Does anyone know if I have to change this data plan to a 4g one or just change the settings on my N4. sorry for such a basic question but it's my first time with an unlocked phone.

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi Im coming from a blackberry bold 9900 and have a grandfathered unlimited plan. Does anyone know if I have to change this data plan to a 4g one or just change the settings on my N4. sorry for such a basic question but it's my first time with an unlocked phone.

You will need to change the APN setting on the phone... and a BlackBerry plan won't work right on the n4 out will need to get them to change it to a unlimited smartphone 4G... make sure they don't try to screw you out of your unlmited

Exergy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna Try these out, don't really seem any faster than the ones I had.... looks like they just threw some stuff in there for the heck of it

I saw your posts a couple pages back for the apn setting. I found the xda setting to be slightly faster but that could have just been the network fluctuations.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Yea I've tried them back and forth at first I thought they were faster but it did just seem to be network fluctuation.... I dunno if this could help with the issues of not being able to talk and surf the web at the same time , I'd like to know where theOP on xda found these

AndyPolidore

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I've read this entire thread so I promise I'm not being lazy, but I'm still unclear on one thing. I am coming from an iPhone 4 which, correct me if I'm wrong, did not have hspa+. Thus, I have changed my APN settings to the "phone" settings. When I run speedtest I get about 2-2.5 down and 1 up on average. However, when data is being used on my phone it is listed as HSPA+ 15 network in my phone status in settings. Have we figured out if that is just a coincidence and I'm really not getting true HSPA+? I have "Data Unlimited for iPhone " as my plan.

Thank you

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I just tried using the "phone" APN settings and got a slight bump in speed. Keep in mind my data plan is still a 3G iPhone data plan, but changing the APN resulted in download speeds going from an average of 5 kpbs down to 1.5mbps. Also, when downloading settings shows HSPA+15 however the notification bar just shows "H".

Obviously these numbers could be better, and I need to be on the correct data plan, but it has helped a little bit.

Exergy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I keep wondering since I'm having such horrible connection, although this is nothing new for the city, in the apn setting should there be something in the server box? Many apn settings just don't include it.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I keep wondering since I'm having such horrible connection, although this is nothing new for the city, in the apn setting should there be something in the server box? Many apn settings just don't include it.

All you needed is what's posted above and the correct imei on the plan

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Exergy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I told them I have an atrix 4G with a fake imei I generated. It seemed to work but not great so far. Makes me wish I had Verizon or even tmobile at this point. Att is such a hassle.

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Just went in to a local AT&T store, and the guy working there got me set up in 5 minutes and knew all about the N4. I told him I already tweaked the APN settings so he put in a new Sim card and set me up with a 4G plan. (Actually an LTE plan since they didn't have any HSPA phones to take the IMEI from)

Ran a speed test and got 9 Mbps down.

Exergy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Just went in to a local AT&T store, and the guy working there got me set up in 5 minutes and knew all about the N4. I told him I already tweaked the APN settings so he put in a new Sim card and set me up with a 4G plan. (Actually an LTE plan since they didn't have any HSPA phones to take the IMEI from)

Ran a speed test and got 9 Mbps down.

Ugh, why am I getting such garbage speeds. I thought NYC had a great network, I guess I was wrong.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad