Anyone activated Nexus 4 on ATT

Timback

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hello,
Has anyone activated the nexus 4 on ATT? How did you do that? Did you go to an ATT store ? Did the phone work with no problems with ATT?
Does ATT have to set up with settings so MMS, Text messaging all that work?
Thanks

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello,
Has anyone activated the nexus 4 on ATT? How did you do that? Did you go to an ATT store ? Did the phone work with no problems with ATT?
Thanks

I haven't activated the SIM yet. still waiting on the nexus 4 but this is what i did.

I went to ATT store, asked for a micro SIM and they gave it to me for free since I have an active plan.
I told them not to activate it now, then they added the sim to my account.

when i need to activate(when i get my Nexus 4) all i have to do is call customer support and ask them to activate the new SIM.

Timback

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Great, Just wondering if everything will work like MMS, Text etc, is there any special configuration I have to do in settings or will it work right away as soon as Att activates it on my account?
Thanks

DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Great, Just wondering if everything will work like MMS, Text etc, is there any special configuration I have to do in settings or will it work right away as soon as Att activates it on my account?
Thanks

I'm in the same boat. I'm giving this to my girlfriend. She's coming from an iPhone 4. I'm wondering if I can just turn her phone off and pop the SIM in the Nexus and be done with it. I want to look like I know what I'm doing :)

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

VSG28

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I popped in my iPhone 4 sim into this (my contract is still for another 4 months) and it worked fine. Heck, I got better network reception with this.

rballen85

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I popped the SIM out of my Atrix 2 and used a sim cutter to make it micro sized. Worked just fine when I popped it into my Nexus 4. I even messed around with some of the APN settings listed around the web and found they all perform exactly the same as the standard one on the SIM.

Exergy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I popped the SIM out of my Atrix 2 and used a sim cutter to make it micro sized. Worked just fine when I popped it into my Nexus 4. I even messed around with some of the APN settings listed around the web and found they all perform exactly the same as the standard one on the SIM.

Thank you. I was wondering this exact thing. I'll keep my APN set to standard.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I haven't activated the SIM yet. still waiting on the nexus 4 but this is what i did.

I went to ATT store, asked for a micro SIM and they gave it to me for free since I have an active plan.
I told them not to activate it now, then they added the sim to my account.

when i need to activate(when i get my Nexus 4) all i have to do is call customer support and ask them to activate the new SIM.

what plan are you on with att? why not use straight talk att?

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
The default APN (wap.cingular) works fine, but it won't give you HSPA+ speeds. It will only give you standard HSPA.

To get HSPA+ speeds, call and make sure you're on the smartphone unlimited data plan and tell them you have a 4G HSPA+ phone. They are a bit ed, but if they set it up correctly, you should be able to create and use the following APN to get HSPA+ speeds (8-12 Mbps usually where available). If you get no data with the following APN, they have you on the wrong plan. They either have you on a non-smartphone data plan or an LTE data plan.

Name: AT&T HSPA+ (this can be whatever you like)
APN: phone
mmsc: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
mms proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port: 80
APN type: default,supl,mms,hipri

rballen85

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
That's one that I tried. I get data with it but its the same speed as the default APN. Perhaps my area just doesn't have HSPA+ but I'd be surprised being that I'm only a few miles from Indianapolis.

Edit: Actually, nevermind, when I leave my house with those APN settings my speeds do improve.

Last edited:

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Hello,
Thanks

You don't "activate" GSM phones. You activate the SIM and put it in.

Go to AT&T, tell them you want to start a plan and you're bringing your own phone. They'll activate and give you a SIM, you'll be good to go.

Jeffrey Piermont

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
can you pls provide the exact setting that i should put in my APN to get HSPA+ on at&t? I am having a bit of difficulty. do i leave some as blank, or as is from the default?

six8

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Under settings mine says hspa 10. Is that normal? Is that what AT&T considers 4G?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
can you pls provide the exact setting that i should put in my APN to get HSPA+ on at&t? I am having a bit of difficulty. do i leave some as blank, or as is from the default?

Name: ATT
APN: wap.cingular
Proxy: blank
Port: blank
Unsername: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password: blank
Server: blank
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentation Type: blank
APN Type: default,supl,mms
APN Protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol
APN enable/disable checked and grayed
out on my phone
Bearer: unspecified.

This is how it's set up on my phome and works the best for data. I got this settings from an app on the playstore. I reccomend getting it becuse it will find the settings that are available for the typed of sim card you have. My micro-sim came out of a Note 2 and it had three APN's and only one works well with the N4.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.OfflineSIMAPNDatabasePro&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5PZmZsaW5lU0lNQVBORGF0YWJhc2VQcm8iXQ..

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Under settings mine says hspa 10. Is that normal? Is that what AT&T considers 4G?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

The phone switches to HSPA 10 when it isn't using data to save battery. If you sit there and watch it though, it should switch to HSPA+ 15 occasionally if you have it set up right and HSPA+ is available in your area.

screenshot2012112010331.png

gmapes

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi! Having issues with my new nexus 4. Out in my sim from my iPhone 5 into the n4 using a sim adaptor. I have tried using your apn settings and I still can't use data. I can call out but no data. I am totally lost on this one. Any more advice? Thanks

Parth Ghetia

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi! Having issues with my new nexus 4. Out in my sim from my iPhone 5 into the n4 using a sim adaptor. I have tried using your apn settings and I still can't use data. I can call out but no data. I am totally lost on this one. Any more advice? Thanks
It's the way AT&T provisions SIM card for LTE devices. You have to call back and have them provision your SIM for HSPA+ (no LTE) and then data will work on your Nexus 4? apparently.

celliott96

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I just took my SIM card from my old phone, ordered a micro SIM cutter, then popped it into my nexus 4. I never called at&t and have had no problems.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2