HSPA+ 42 data speed on Tmobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lament

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
22519 download in the NYC area.. 1264 upload ... and if someone can tell me how to upload a pic i'll send the screenshot!

Upload the file to any of the millions of image hosting sites (I like imgur.com). Copy the URL of the direct .jpg or .png file.

Then on the forum in the reply area, click the Image icon. Paste the URL of the image.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Who said LTE was important....:)

First of all...

Screenshot_2012-11-25-18-16-20.png

That's not to say that I think absolute speed is all that important. For a phone, anything that consistently runs with a download speed above 5Mbps and an upload speed above 3 Mbps is doing fine. That's not to say that having a nice, high upload speed isn't nice when you are uploading videos to Vimeo when on vacation or something. Not to mention that having 2 or 3 devices tethered to a phone can really stress a connection if you are getting low single digit uploads.

No, the far more important aspect (at least to me) is *where* that speed is accessible from. You can type the lats-and-longes into google to see exactly where in BFE some of these samples are, but it goes without saying, when traveling for work to remote places like Windom, MN or Kearney, NE its nice to get a fat wireless pipe inside the hotel room when everything in town shuts down at 5:30 in the evening. Not to mention visiting the Inlaw's and being saved by 4G access in God-forsaken Perry, IA. Or the recent trip back to my parent's for Thanksgiving, where 10Mbps was available 3 miles outside of freaking Eldridge, Ia.

With 4G, speed doesn't matter much once you get slightly above the pathetic level of 3G speeds, it's location that matters.

Lest anyone think I'm trying to rain on any parades, please don't take the wrong impression. I'm truly glad that real high speed is starting to move out and propagate on other networks. But at the same time, if you tend to be forced to move outside of a small bubble that is a T-mobile HSPA+ center, things get stingy quite fast. Do your homework before jumping on the new fad.

Screenshot_2012-11-25-18-09-47.png

Screenshot_2012-11-25-18-13-03.png

Screenshot_2012-11-25-18-15-07.png

Screenshot_2012-11-25-18-22-19.png

-Suntan

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
First of all...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53291462/Speedtest/Screenshot_2012-11-25-18-16-20.png

That's not to say that I think absolute speed is all that important. For a phone, anything that consistently runs with a download speed above 5Mbps and an upload speed above 3 Mbps is doing fine. That's not to say that having a nice, high upload speed isn't nice when you are uploading videos to Vimeo when on vacation or something. Not to mention that having 2 or 3 devices tethered to a phone can really stress a connection if you are getting low single digit uploads.

No, the far more important aspect (at least to me) is *where* that speed is accessible from. You can type the lats-and-longes into google to see exactly where in BFE some of these samples are, but it goes without saying, when traveling for work to remote places like Windom, MN or Kearney, NE its nice to get a fat wireless pipe inside the hotel room when everything in town shuts down at 5:30 in the evening. Not to mention visiting the Inlaw's and being saved by 4G access in God-forsaken Perry, IA. Or the recent trip back to my parent's for Thanksgiving, where 10Mbps was available 3 miles outside of freaking Eldridge, Ia.

With 4G, speed doesn't matter much once you get slightly above the pathetic level of 3G speeds, it's location that matters.

Lest anyone think I'm trying to rain on any parades, please don't take the wrong impression. I'm truly glad that real high speed is starting to move out and propagate on other networks. But at the same time, if you tend to be forced to move outside of a small bubble that is a T-mobile HSPA+ center, things get stingy quite fast. Do your homework before jumping on the new fad.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53291462/Speedtest/Screenshot_2012-11-25-18-09-47.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53291462/Speedtest/Screenshot_2012-11-25-18-13-03.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53291462/Speedtest/Screenshot_2012-11-25-18-15-07.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53291462/Speedtest/Screenshot_2012-11-25-18-22-19.png

-Suntan
My comment wasnt meant to be taken to heart.Of course LTE is faster bro it is what everyone is jumping on no doubt. However what I said was 'who said its important'. To me its not if I'm getting faster download speeds than most peoples at home internet service. Where I stay my LTE speed on my Gnexn and my girls were less than what I'm getting on my HSPA+ Nexus 4. This thread was started (at least in my opinion) from everyone to see HSPA+ speeds on the Nexus 4 and what they are capable of so that those in the forums can make informed decisions about whether these speeds would be adequate enough for them. You say you aren't trying to rain on anyone's parade yet you post LTE speeds off of who knows what type of Android device in a thread entitled "HSPA+ 42 data speed on T-Mobile"....

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Just curious, how many people who have posted their speeds are using Straight Talk T-Mobile SIM?

One thing I want to add is that the latency test is much better in most cases with LTE. I use T-Mobile too and sometimes the Ping result is in the 1000's. I can't complain about the actual DL speeds because I can peak at 30mbps.

That's what I wanted to ask. Why is the ping so high in some of the tests? I see 20Mbps down and over 1000 ms ping. Then I see the same people are also getting around 60-70 ms ping. Do some areas with T-Mobile just have really bad latency?

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Getting 5-6 Mbps down and 1-2 Mbps up at my house. Girlfriends LTE phone getting 18-23 Mbps down and 2-3 Mbps up in same room. This is using AT&T but I figured I'd post anyway. Still pretty happy with HSPA+ speeds.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Freshly_Snipes

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Near Atlanta.

Me too.. Stockbridge actually. I get about 10-19 mbps out here with the N4.

I'm in New Orleans which is listed as a HSPA+ 42 city. Just got my N4 today. Here are my results from inside my house. Way better than what I was getting with Sprint with my S2.

Uptown born and raised man. Good to see a fellow Orleanian. Glad they upgraded the city. When I came home last year it was down bad.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
to see HSPA+ speeds on the Nexus 4 and what they are capable of so that those in the forums can make informed decisions about whether these speeds would be adequate enough for them.

My comments were specifically about that topic, my point *wasn't* about pure speed, instead about looking to see if you get decent coverage in all the areas you might want to use it. Posting 5 speedtest results, all within a minute of each other, all within one specific metro area, doesn't really give a clear picture, "so that those in the forums can make informed decisions."

Posts like these usually always give skewed results that mis-inform would-be swappers. People go outside (to get a stronger signal) and click off 4 or 5 speedtest runs in an area that gives them especially good numbers to post as "high water marks" and then cheer about the great service, but that doesn't really give a real picture of the coverage. Show the speedtest numbers obtained indoors at 7pm on a weeknight, for example, and you'll get vastly different results than those posted at 7 am on a Sunday morning.

You say you aren't trying to rain on anyone's parade yet you post LTE speeds off of who knows what type of Android device in a thread entitled "HSPA+ 42 data speed on T-Mobile"....

It was a GSIII on Verizon. All the speedtests were done indoors. A number of them in the middle of large hotels.

-Suntan

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
What are the plans you guys have with T-Mobile I know i get pretty good coverage in my area but I use my cell as a business # so I need a decent amount of minutes.
Just curious, how many people who have posted their speeds are using Straight Talk T-Mobile SIM?
I'd like to know this, too. I've currently got an AT&T ST SIM sitting all lonely for the past 10 days awaiting the eventual(?) arrival of an N4 (I can dream, can't I?) and was going to try a month of that and then a month of T-Mobile to see how the coverage and speeds are where I'm most at (home/work/girlfriend's), but the lack of data roaming with ST's T-Mo service could be a problem and straight-up T-Mo pre-paid plans are either starved for minutes (the $30 one with only 100 mins) or getting up to what I'm already paying for Trudge and thus cutting into the price savings I'd hope for with the $45/mo. ST deal.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I wish i could get more than 10 megs down on hspa+

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

Chris M2

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm really not happy with my T-mobile service in Santa Rosa California. The signal has a really hard time penetrating buildings and I get 1000ms ping on all my speedtests, with 12mbps being the fastest down speed. What's the point of 12mpbs theoretical if my ping is 1000-1300ms? Or is there a point, let me know. I also lose service constantly in my bedroom. The network works great on the roads just everywhere else it is iffy as hell. Will be joining an AT&T family plan soon I think.

Pretty sure I have the right APN, dont see how I couldnt with 12mbps down.

DataHawg

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Is there anything to roam to in your area? T-Mobile SIMs bar ATT in most parts of the country; even when I was on postpaid my phone wouldn't roam onto ATT except in a few oddball places, which did (and does) lead to some extremely annoying dead zones. Even if you have a phone that supports it in theory, there's no way to roam onto a CDMA carrier. (on the other hand, the damn thing would roam onto Telcel if I was close to the border)

Excellent. Cheaper, too :)

Thanks for this info. I know you can't roam onto a CDMA carrier, but I thought TMo would roam onto ATT when needed. My wife's coverage and speeds are great most places she goes. I'd love to dump Sprint and go with TMo prepaid.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm really not happy with my T-mobile service in Santa Rosa California. The signal has a really hard time penetrating buildings and I get 1000ms ping on all my speedtests, with 12mbps being the fastest down speed. What's the point of 12mpbs theoretical if my ping is 1000-1300ms? Or is there a point, let me know. I also lose service constantly in my bedroom. The network works great on the roads just everywhere else it is iffy as hell. Will be joining an AT&T family plan soon I think.

Pretty sure I have the right APN, dont see how I couldnt with 12mbps down.

A high ping can be really frustrating when doing stuff on the internet. Also, when doing video calling like Skype or tango. But if you are just downloading/uploading a large, contiguous file; the ping is less important than the actual speed.

-Suntan

ColoradoSteve

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I think that many people miss the boat on speed tests.

I work in IT. Many people in this industry strive for the fastest processor or the fastest disk drive or the fastest network. They are usually the new/younger guys that get all starry-eyed with the tech specs.

I've been doing this a long time. What pays the bills and keeps me employed is the user experience. It doesn't matter how fast the sales guy says his stuff is. It doesn't matter if you have a 10Gig or a 100Gig network. What matters is that the customer (end user) is satisfied with the experience of using the system to get their work done.

That said - is HSPA+ speed (either T-Mobile or AT&T) enough to do what you want to on the phone. If you didn't have SpeedTest and your only reference was 'It seems fast to me' or 'it really makes me wait awhile' - then LTE vs HSPA+14 vs HSPA+42 wouldn't matter. It either is fast enough to make you happy or it isn't.

Honestly, I think that most people should remove the speed testing apps and just enjoy the phone. 2meg down is pretty darn fast for web browsing or Facebook or Twitter. Is 20meg faster? Sure, but does it really matter? Probably not. I think that 2meg down across 99% of where I go would be fantastic

Steve

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I think that many people miss the boat on speed tests.

I work in IT. Many people in this industry strive for the fastest processor or the fastest disk drive or the fastest network. They are usually the new/younger guys that get all starry-eyed with the tech specs.

I've been doing this a long time. What pays the bills and keeps me employed is the user experience. It doesn't matter how fast the sales guy says his stuff is. It doesn't matter if you have a 10Gig or a 100Gig network. What matters is that the customer (end user) is satisfied with the experience of using the system to get their work done.

That said - is HSPA+ speed (either T-Mobile or AT&T) enough to do what you want to on the phone. If you didn't have SpeedTest and your only reference was 'It seems fast to me' or 'it really makes me wait awhile' - then LTE vs HSPA+14 vs HSPA+42 wouldn't matter. It either is fast enough to make you happy or it isn't.

Honestly, I think that most people should remove the speed testing apps and just enjoy the phone. 2meg down is pretty darn fast for web browsing or Facebook or Twitter. Is 20meg faster? Sure, but does it really matter? Probably not. I think that 2meg down across 99% of where I go would be fantastic

Steve

I completely understand what you're talking about and for simple web surfing 2 megs is more than sufficient.

However,i download movies, videos, streaming, Skype, and i use the cloud, and it takes a lot longer on 2mb, so speed IS A MAJOR PART of the user experience.

For someone that just uses gps, web surfing and doesn't use their phone to its full potential, then yes, anything else is just extra

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

ryjb

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Would someone be able to post the T-Mobile APN settings? I have a postpaid Value plan SIM coming and just want to make sure I am using the correct one.

Thanks

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Would someone be able to post the T-Mobile APN settings? I have a postpaid Value plan SIM coming and just want to make sure I am using the correct one. Thanks
Your SIM should come with documentation listing the settings your service uses; my Straight Talk (AT&T) one did. I'm guessing that T-Mobile proper uses different settings than an MVNO on their air does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakhikumari800000