HSPA+ 42 data speed on Tmobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go Ogle

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Tampa, Florida (riverview/gibsonton/apollo beach)

lF8kB.png

anyone know how i can change the led color? is there an app i can download?

bboykin87

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Try removing the proxy address and the proxy port. I did that for the ST AT&T Sim. Speeds are better, and I can run speed tests.
Thanks this worked perfectly

mu5a7u4e.jpg

Just realized I'm in the wrong thread my bad
Northern Maryland near Delaware
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

DC Damien

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm consistently pulling 20Mbps down and 1.5-3.5 Mpbs up on T-Mobile in DC and Northern Virginia - when I have a signal. Looking forward to receiving my Straight Talk SIM this evening so I can compare. As I said on another thread, I expect I'll sacrifice some speed for better coverage and building penetration on AT&T's network.

Do you drop your signal often in DC? Are parts of town better than others? I would have to leave Verizon to have the N4. And until i'm able to order one and test it out any help or suggestions are welcome.

DC Damien

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
From what I hear, Chicago is just a nightmare for every service provider. Apparently AT&T HSPA+ doesn't even work there (in the busy city areas).
Even Verizon phones can drop a lot of calls in Chicago. Whether you're on the street on on the balcony of the 54th floor of an apartment building.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I live in Kenner and work in New Orleans east. I was getting 13-15 DL speeds in New Orleans east today

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I see. Don't suppose you plan on swinging by the Northshore any time soon? :p

I guess I could always just go to a T-Mobile store and do a speed test on one of their phones but I don't trust in store speeds. Never know if they have some kind of MicroCell to make you think coverage and speeds in the area are good when they're not.

sathariel

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm consistently pulling 20Mbps down and 1.5-3.5 Mpbs up on T-Mobile in DC and Northern Virginia - when I have a signal. Looking forward to receiving my Straight Talk SIM this evening so I can compare. As I said on another thread, I expect I'll sacrifice some speed for better coverage and building penetration on AT&T's network.

I'm also curious about your results. I've heard to T-Mobile has decent coverage in the DC/NoVA area but would like to compare it with AT&T to see how it fares.

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
20mins south of Portland, OR with Tmobile. I am averaging 8-9Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up.

For comparison, downtown today on Verizon LTE was seeing 3.1 mbps down. HSPA+42 is easily competitive and it's almost a shame that T-Mobile is giving in and going with LTE when there is still a good path forward with HSPA (84 mbit hspa with dual cell and mimo)

2012-11-20%2010.12.45.png

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Lol yes... You can stream Pandora on EDGE, you don't need 20mbps down to stream music.

- - - Updated - - -

That's because EVDO's theoretical maximum downlink speed is about 3.5mbps :D .

EVDO Rev A is about 3072 kbps (in 1.25 MHz). The fastest you could see via speedtest would be less than that, of course. Also, I always feel compelled to point out that while support of any individual application (e.g., can I stream HD youtube) is important to the individual user, the way the carriers are looking at it is how many users can they support doing a given task given a single tower.

Consider a hypothetical town being served by a single site (tower) and this is a strange tower with a single geographic sector. One company deploys EVDO-A there, one deploys HSPA+ and one deploys LTE (SISO). The EVDO-A company happens to have 40 MHz available for forward channel (all of them are frequency duplexed), HSPA+ has 20 MHz available and LTE company 5 MHz available. Also presume that streaming HD youtube takes

EVDO company can deliver about 96 mbps, so could support (at 2 mbps per stream) 48 users streaming HD YouTube.
HSPA+ company can deliver about 84 mbps, so could support 42 users streaming HD YouTube at the same time.
LTE company can deliver 27 mbps (really about 22 mbps), so could support 13 users streaming YouTube.

Which is the better technology? It doesn't matter, the company with the most spectrum is winning, even though EVDO-A is using a lower order modulation.

So, let's say you are the HSPA+ company and you want to win. You have 20 MHz of spectrum and you've currently got HSPA+21 deployed, so that means you have 4 carriers each delivering a possible 21 mbps. What does upgrading to DC-HSPA do for you? In terms of the metric above, nothing. The tower is still delivering 84 mbps, it's just that each individual user can now receive up to 42 mbps rather than 21 mbps. What would upgrading to LTE do for you? If you deployed LTE in all 20 MHz you'd have a theoretical bitrate of about 108 mbps, but subtracting coding and control you're down to about 87 mbps - not all that much better than your position with HSPA+21 or DC-HSPA+42, and also you had to change out your equipment at the tower. LTE is really only a little bit better if you keep things "fair" meaning SISO LTE vs SISO HSPA (there are other advantages not associated with theoretical maximum performance, but I think those advantages could be had in more advanced HSPA+ deployments too).

Another option would be to go DC-HSPA+84 MIMO, which would change the metric above so that you're delivering 168 mbps from the tower in 20 MHz and could support 84 users streaming HD YouTube at the same time. This has a lot of nice advantages - voice calls already work over HSPA and you could use every last kHz you have available for HSPA - LTE and EVDO carriers have to keep legacy technologies around to support voice calls at the moment. All of your old HSPA devices will still work, DC-HSPA-MIMO is backward compatible. And, of course, your users can just order a Google Nexus 4 and put it on your network.

It's sort of interesting that T-Mobile went with DC-HSPA rather than HSPA-MIMO, as HSPA-MIMO would have approximately doubled tower throughput while going DC-HSPA doesn't change anything to tower throughput (actually about 10% from improved efficiency), the only advantage is that the end user sees. However, going with MIMO would have required more physical antenna on the tower, and there would be cost associated with that, so that might have been the reason, however if T-Mobile's long term plan were to stick with HSPA there wouldn't be a reason to avoid that upgrade, as the future very-high-speed paths require MIMO anyway.

Last edited:

TJs11thPre

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
i happened to do add'l testing today, as i'm monitoring T-Mo 1900 band migration in Atlanta.

2 weeks ago, Sandy Springs, GA testing consistently at 8Mbps DL about mid morning
2 weeks ago, Smyrna, GA testing consistently at 3Mbps DL about early evening
Today, Sandy Springs, GA testing consistently at 5.5Mbps DL about mid afternoon
That was all on a Pre3 (HSPA+) on T-Mo's 1900 band.
Also today, on an ATT LTE demo in their store: 20Mbps about mid afternoon.

Sprint EVDO usually tests just under 3Mbps IIRC, just like Valeuche said above.

Also, when I go out of range, T-Mo drops to Edge indicator on the Pre3, but the Pandora keeps streaming. I've streamed Pandora over Edge for a while. But there's an issue with the Pandora app i swear. it keeps pausing mid-song on the Pre3 about every 15 mins; and actually freezing on the Pre- with 6 secs remaining, about every hour. so make sure your issues are connectivity, not application. i never had probs before, but Pandora seems buggy as heck now.

DataHawg

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
My N4 will be here tommorow. Can I get the HSPA+ 42 speeds on the T-Mobile prepaid plans?

Keep in mind you don't get any data roaming on TMobiles Monthly 4G no contract plans. It's in the fine print. My wife has Monthly 4G and I'd switch to one of those plans today but we spend a lot if time in rural areas. I'm on Sprint and have 3g data in many places she doesn't because of no roaming.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
All the bellyaching about LTE turned out to be nothing.

I ran side by side tests, VZW LTE Galaxy Nexus versus HSPA+ T-Mobile Nexus 4. The download speed was actually intangibly better on HSPA+. This was in Rockville, MD just outside of Washington DC.

Good news, I'm near Annapolis so hopefully I see similar results.

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Do you drop your signal often in DC? Are parts of town better than others? I would have to leave Verizon to have the N4. And until i'm able to order one and test it out any help or suggestions are welcome.

So far, I have had good signal outdoors on T-Mo everywhere I've gone since Saturday, from FedEx Field to Fairfax and just about everywhere in between. I am now using the Straight Talk SIM, so I'll see how it compares. Last night, I did a test in my house here in Fairlington, and I got 3 down, 1 up (on ST/AT&T). To me, that's a perfectly acceptable baseline if I'm also getting great coverage and building penetration.

dougE2483

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I am in the west burbs of the Chicago land area(Downers Grove) and I get pretty decent speeds inside my office building on my Galaxy Nexus.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-11-21-09-00-52.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-21-09-00-52.png
    256.8 KB · Views: 59

philentology

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey, I'm in North San Diego County... so far, I like what I see.. and I included a screenshot of Speedtests from my desk on my Evo LTE that I love.. but... the speed comparison is a joke. Sprints 3G really is atrocious... with no LTE in sight. For Comparison, the first and last tests on the Nexus were from my desk as well. The others were in Carlsbad, CA.

Screenshot_2012-11-21-07-23-34.png

Screenshot_2012-11-21-07-36-01.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance