Poor Performance Stats

Exergy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I was reading some reviews last night that ran the N4 through a bunch of performance tests. Surprisingly it did not perform as spectacularly as they would have thought with the godly specs. I used one in the tmobile store and it was blazing fast. The reviews thought it might be some run error in android 4.2. What do you guys think? I'm a little concerned.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I was reading some reviews last night that ran the N4 through a bunch of performance tests. Surprisingly it did not perform as spectacularly as they would have thought with the godly specs. I used one in the tmobile store and it was blazing fast. The reviews thought it might be some run error in android 4.2. What do you guys think? I'm a little concerned.

As long as it's fast to you and you like it, I wouldn't worry about the performance test.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it. The reviewer might have been an iphone fan. Every review and persons opinion I read about this phone says it's amazing. If it were some issue with 4.2, that's an easy fix handled by an update.

Matt Beaulne

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I would not be concerned. the GNEX still preforms in the real world, very, very well. The N4 will preform real world, and you will not have any problems with it. Its like playing a video game at 60 FPS vs 120 FPS. You will never notice a difference. Ever. I know these test are often alarming, but you will love your new N4.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The focus on synthetic benchmarks is little more than e-peen measuring. It's like PC gamers say about a new video card's scores: "No one plays 3DMark. We play GAMES. How smoothly and beautifully do games run?"

For a phone, you should feel it's snappy and responsive, without lag or stuttering. If the phone whips from task to task without hiccuping, then all is well.

jtshaw

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I unboxed this thing today and it is blazingly fast compared to my Galaxy Nexus, which I never really thought of as a slow phone to begin with.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

Test benches stats and others don't really matter. You tried the phone and it was fasy, my Nexus 4 is very fast as well. I havent had any lag of any kind with this device. People crying about LTE also need to try this device out first. I went from GS3 on LTE and find that the data speed of the Nexus 4, in my area, are very good on HSPA+.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Can you link us to some of the reviews you were reading?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
benchmarks are stupid imo. and I think many would agree that.
dont worry about the benchmark. Its stupid because it depends on the OS you use as well. these benchmark apps are not optimized for Android 4.2

if the experience is better thats all it matters and i can guarantee it performs well. its smooth and fluid

YoSaintLaurent

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
It is because the benchmarks aren't optimized for Android 4.2. My Nexus 7 now benchmarks lower since the update but it's still plenty fast. I would worry about the real world performance more than those numbers.

zer0vette

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
performance tests are stupid. This is the fastest, smoothest phone... ever. i love it. i was pleasantly surprised to see how bad the N4 puts the galaxy nexus to shame.

jian9007

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
This one made it look really slow:
AnandTech - Google Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 Performance Preview

This one had a more favorable review, discussing that it may be 4.2 slowing the processing down:
Nexus 4 Review: Not Exactly Perfect, But Close Enough For Me | TechCrunch

Anandtech said it was due to the thermal throttling (which is fine as it keeps the processor from overheating). You'll be fine with it on a daily basis. Any software issues will be updated in short order (which is exactly why we like Nexuses) so no worries there. Once 4.2 gets a few kinks worked out it will benchmark faster, but you won't be able to tell during everyday use. It's plenty fast so just pull the trigger and get it. You won't find a better phone for the price. :)