New to Android, starting with Nexus 4

AppleAddict

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've been watching many of my friends slowly turn over to Google Nexus or Samsung Galaxy S III's. Feeling left out of the loop I was going to pick up the Google Nexus 4 but have thus far be disappointed with how Google Play has dealt with the launch. If they ever give us any inclination on an official date when more stock shall return I would consider picking it up because the price is killer for a flagship Android device.

I'd be new to Android and while a phone is a phone and as long as it does calling, texting, and social media (that is all we really need), I am interested in trying out a new User Interface. I love Apple's simple and easy to use UI and have heard the horror stories about fragmentation, maleware, and build quality of Android devices, but will admit the design and layout to iOS is getting stale.

I can count on Jony Ive to create something magical for iOS 7 but in the mean time I would want to try the Nexus 4 as a toy and see what I think of Android. I want to be able to judge Android from actual usage.

Just wanted to share.

gcurtisjr

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I am also an Apple fanboi who purchased a Nexus 4. I had to do a comparative study on the two rival OS and wanted a vanilla Android to compare it to. There are small differences that are really starting to bother me as a long-term iOS user:

• I do not like how notifications are handled. I do like the LED that can be customized for different types of notifications, but having on screen bubbles indicating how many new calls, text messages or emails. This could be a personal preference though.

• I do not like the standard email client as much. I like seeing the last time the mailbox's were last updated. Pull to update is also missing.

• Chrome does not have an easy way to get to the top of the page without scrolling the whole way. It's much easier to tap the top bar.

• As fast as the device is, it still seems to sputter even now and then. The iPhone 5 is much smoother overall.

• Pinch to zoom and triple tap is not as smooth of a process.

• Play Store is not as nice as the App Store. Again, this could be a personal preference.

• Screen is not as good as the iPhone 5. Color banding can be seen the movable wallpapers (I have seen threads that described the issue as Android downscaling the image quality)

All this being said, it has been a great learning experience. I have a whole new respect for Android and it is far more intuitive than I originally gave it credit for. The customization is awesome and the widgets are much appreciated. I also really like the screen size. If I didn't already have an iPhone 5, I would keep the device. However, as my project has been completed, it is time for it to go. I do have a new respect for Android and the community that it has.

thechemE#CB

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
As far as email goes, the phone is designed to use gmail (not sure if that is what was being used by the above poster). That application auto refreshes upon opening and uses push notifications so there really is no need to refresh while within the app. It will refresh for you if needed. Other than that interesting comparison comparison. I had a droid with the original droid incredible (the one with an epic 4 hours of battery life) and made the move to an iphone 4 and thought I would never switch back until I picked up a galaxy s3. Was interested to see how it stacked to an iphone 5

Exergy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I've been watching many of my friends slowly turn over to Google Nexus or Samsung Galaxy S III's. Feeling left out of the loop I was going to pick up the Google Nexus 4 but have thus far be disappointed with how Google Play has dealt with the launch. If they ever give us any inclination on an official date when more stock shall return I would consider picking it up because the price is killer for a flagship Android device.

I'd be new to Android and while a phone is a phone and as long as it does calling, texting, and social media (that is all we really need), I am interested in trying out a new User Interface. I love Apple's simple and easy to use UI and have heard the horror stories about fragmentation, maleware, and build quality of Android devices, but will admit the design and layout to iOS is getting stale.

I can count on Jony Ive to create something magical for iOS 7 but in the mean time I would want to try the Nexus 4 as a toy and see what I think of Android. I want to be able to judge Android from actual usage.

Just wanted to share.

I'm in the same boat. I'm really just overall bored with my iPhone 4s and I feel like the iPhone 5 isn't a big enough step. I had a couple Androids some years ago. Going back to my roots for a while.

teleclimber

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
"I do not like the standard email client as much. "

Then change it! That's the beauty of Android. You are not nearly as locked in to what you are given out of the box. Most people serious about using non-gmail email will turn to K9-mail. I have no need for a "refresh" action because I use push IMAP which works swimmingly... but if you need it it's there.

I personally find that the Play store is so much more inviting than the App Store. It bugs me that I have to re-enter my password all the time, that it's a sad sad shade of grey, that the tiny download button is hidden behind another button which may or may not have a + sign that I'm not too sure the meaning. I have to update apps manually and every time I do I get teleported to the home screen so I can stare at a progress bar. Maybe it's a matter of personal preference but I really feel Android's Play store is way better designed, both visually and in the interactions.

gcurtisjr

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
"I do not like the standard email client as much. "

Then change it! That's the beauty of Android. You are not nearly as locked in to what you are given out of the box. Most people serious about using non-gmail email will turn to K9-mail. I have no need for a "refresh" action because I use push IMAP which works swimmingly... but if you need it it's there.

I personally find that the Play store is so much more inviting than the App Store. It bugs me that I have to re-enter my password all the time, that it's a sad sad shade of grey, that the tiny download button is hidden behind another button which may or may not have a + sign that I'm not too sure the meaning. I have to update apps manually and every time I do I get teleported to the home screen so I can stare at a progress bar. Maybe it's a matter of personal preference but I really feel Android's Play store is way better designed, both visually and in the interactions.

Good suggestion about changing the email client. As for your issues with Apple's App Store, many of them were alleviated with iOS 6. No longer do you need a password for updates (you still have to manually update them though but there is an "update all" option) and it no longer kicks you out of the App Store while installing. Also, the + symbol indicates a universal app (all iDevices)

usualsuspect

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I was an iphone user for 3gs and 4 and then moved to android. Had considered switching to iphone5 had the screen been larger. Unfortunately the added height did not do it for me and actually added fragmentation from an app perspective (something android is knocked for all the time). Had apple not been stubborn and went w a 720p screen on a 4.3 inch screen they might have had me back for a bit. That said I do find the openness of Android as well as the faster evolution of the OS a key differentiator. At times I feel as though Apple has become RIM. They have been successful and it has made them stubborn to change. Embrace larger screens. Had they done it earlier Android may have never taken off. In any event my Nexus4 arrived today and I am very pleased with it so far.