Backorder Thread (Nov 20th and onwards)

woodbane

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm utterly disgusted at how Google have handled this and I've cancelled my order. Despite reaching out to them politely in several emails I've had nothing but canned responses.

That tied together with the complete lack of an official response and the awful experience people have been having have led me to the conclusion my dollars are better spent elsewhere.

It's unfortunate as I was looking forward to playing with the phone but frankly, I can't be arsed!

At least I wasn't one of those that sold my current phone and then ordered the Nexus 4, I played it safe there. I'm happy to wait and see what develops over the coming weeks/months.

To all those stuck in limbo and on back order, I wish you the speedy receipt of your devices to put an end to your suffering.

Peace out folks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

IMrMark

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
nada... all the tmo stores near my work were saying they weren't expecting to see more stock for about 2 weeks, but grain of salt there. I happened across a tmo in the suburbs that had two left yesterday, and both were gone by the time I left the store (1 of which went out with me). Still gonna hold out hope that the second one arrives sometime soon so I can get both lines out of VZW but... who knows.

PANDAFR3SH

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I see. Well at least you have one to play with, unlike me I have yet to even hold one. I haven't called CSR even once yet, just been going off what everyone else has been saying. Maybe I should shoot them a call and see if they have any updates.

a61737025

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I see. Well at least you have one to play with, unlike me I have yet to even hold one. I haven't called CSR even once yet, just been going off what everyone else has been saying. Maybe I should shoot them a call and see if they have any updates.

I sent them emails, called the CSR, replies are useless... still waiting for my state to be updated ..endless waiting.. :(

DarenTx

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm utterly disgusted at how Google have handled this and I've cancelled my order. Despite reaching out to them politely in several emails I've had nothing but canned responses. That tied together with the complete lack of an official response and the awful experience people have been having have led me to the conclusion my dollars are better spent elsewhere.

In general, I don't think Google has done a bad job here. There is room for improvement but I am quite happy with how Google has handled my order. I had work to do at the very moment the Nexus 4 went on sale so I tried to order a little early. It didn't work for me although I see others were able to get there orders in early. After I finished my paid job, I went back and looked and the Nexus 4 screen had gone back to the "Coming Soon" message and most websites were saying they were Sold Out. I gave up but went back a few hours later to see if I could determine when more stock would be available. I saw several messages saying that if you hit refresh a few times on the "Coming Soon" page you might be able to get one in your cart and purchase it. I tried it and was able to order a phone. I understood that just because I was able to get it in my cart didn't mean it was actually available. To me, it smelled of server glitch.

I got a backorder email a couple of days later that said my phone should be delivered "within three weeks." I'd love to have my phone now but it didn't happen. I can patiently wait 3 weeks. Until the 3 weeks have passed, I feel no need to call Google CSR's or demand an "official" response from Google. The communications I have received are clear and to the point -- you can expect your phone "within three weeks".

Google could have enabled pre-orders to alleviate some of the problems and there servers could have handled the load better. Some might be upset that Google let them order the phone when they clearly had already sold out but I am not one of them. I'm glad I got my order in even if it was a server glitch. I am essentially on a wait list now which is much better than where I would be if they had actually stopped orders when they sold out. If you don't want to be on the wait list they have made it really easy to cancel.

I don't expect orders to ship in "the order they were received". Although that would be the absolute fairest way to ship the phones it is most certainly not the most logistically simple way to ship a very large amount of merchandise. A cross between "fair" and "logisitical" is probably the best way and the way I suspect Google is shipping them.

I have heard a few stories from people who have a decent reason to be a little upset with how Google has handled their order.

But most of what I am hearing on these message boards are people just being impatient and not wanting to accept that they can't have it right now. It feels like a room full of three olds throwing a tantrum in the candy aisle.

vjd1

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
In general, I don't think Google has done a bad job here. There is room for improvement but I am quite happy with how Google has handled my order. I had work to do at the very moment the Nexus 4 went on sale so I tried to order a little early. It didn't work for me although I see others were able to get there orders in early. After I finished my paid job, I went back and looked and the Nexus 4 screen had gone back to the "Coming Soon" message and most websites were saying they were Sold Out. I gave up but went back a few hours later to see if I could determine when more stock would be available. I saw several messages saying that if you hit refresh a few times on the "Coming Soon" page you might be able to get one in your cart and purchase it. I tried it and was able to order a phone. I understood that just because I was able to get it in my cart didn't mean it was actually available. To me, it smelled of server glitch.

I got a backorder email a couple of days later that said my phone should be delivered "within three weeks." I'd love to have my phone now but it didn't happen. I can patiently wait 3 weeks. Until the 3 weeks have passed, I feel no need to call Google CSR's or demand an "official" response from Google. The communications I have received are clear and to the point -- you can expect your phone "within three weeks".

Google could have enabled pre-orders to alleviate some of the problems and there servers could have handled the load better. Some might be upset that Google let them order the phone when they clearly had already sold out but I am not one of them. I'm glad I got my order in even if it was a server glitch. I am essentially on a wait list now which is much better than where I would be if they had actually stopped orders when they sold out. If you don't want to be on the wait list they have made it really easy to cancel.

I don't expect orders to ship in "the order they were received". Although that would be the absolute fairest way to ship the phones it is most certainly not the most logistically simple way to ship a very large amount of merchandise. A cross between "fair" and "logisitical" is probably the best way and the way I suspect Google is shipping them.

I have heard a few stories from people who have a decent reason to be a little upset with how Google has handled their order.

But most of what I am hearing on these message boards are people just being impatient and not wanting to accept that they can't have it right now. It feels like a room full of three olds throwing a tantrum in the candy aisle.
well said...:)

SteveWin

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
The reason people are upset is because they were told that the phone was in stock when they made the purchase and then they got a confirmation email that ends up being a lie. It took two full days for Google to send out the back order email. There is a huge window of " within three weeks" and this vague answer has not been narrowed even though we are almost two weeks into that time range. Google could tell me which gas stations had gas after Sandy and even how long each station was expected to have gas until they sold out, but they can't or won't say when their own phone will ship or provide us with any information about what happened?

There are a lot of options for cell phones. Three weeks is a very long time in the technology world. Rather than getting the newest phone available, we are getting a month old phone for the same amount of money. Also many people got rid of their old phones when Google sent them the confirmation email and now they are without a phone.

After people place items in their cart, servers usually remove those from the stock available to others trying to make a purchase. If they cancel their order or their cart times out or their credit card doesn't go through, it is made available again. So, just because the website says "coming soon" and then after a refresh it says "in stock" does not necessarily "smell of server glitch." And when your order is followed by a confirmation email and you hear nothing different for 48 hours, I don't think it's that unreasonable for people to assume their order was successful and to subsequently become upset when they find out they were misled. These are not three year olds throwing tantrums. These are loyal Google fans who feel betrayed by a company they trusted to be honest and accurate and forthcoming and these are people who may be out of a phone for up to three weeks because of false information provided by Google.

I'm glad the timing of your phone delivery doesn't affect you. That doesn't mean it didn't affect others or that others have to be happy about it. Thank you for calling us three-year-olds. That was the adult thing to do. :)

Sorkzilla

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Like PANDAFR3SH , I have held off on calling or emailing CSR but was just wondering if someone could point me in the direction of how to. When I go to the contact on google play store and go to devices the screen is just blank. I know I probably won't get much out of them, but just curious as to what email address or what phone number one would go about to reach these CSR folks. Contacting Support - Google Play Help