Nexus 4 vs htc one x+

thechemE#CB

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
As i wait for my nexus order to magically ship I have begun looking at some of the newer unlocked phones that have just come out or are about to come out. I was wondering, if price point was not taken into consideration, which do you think would be the better phone? Or if there are any other phone suggestions that I may not be aware of whether it be a windows phone or an android device. Basically I am trying to get the best unlocked phone on the market right now.

Thanks

tanson1011

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I recently seen the HTC one + review by Alex. If the price was right and the updates where as fast as the nexus updates are I'd go with the one +. The device looks sexy and now with better battery life. Its already tempting. But it depends what you look for in a phone. I like my timely updates which I know HTC nor the carriers will provide me with.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Android Central Forums

thechemE#CB

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I recently seen the HTC one + review by Alex. If the price was right and the updates where as fast as the nexus updates are I'd go with the one +. The device looks sexy and now with better battery life. Its already tempting. But it depends what you look for in a phone. I like my timely updates which I know HTC nor the carriers will provide me with.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Android Central Forums

i am a fan of updates as well. The last htc phone I had was the original droid incredible which had decent updates for verizon. However the onex+ I am looking at may be an international version that is unlocked. Not sure how that actually affects updates

Edit** link to phone HTC One X+ Android Smartphone 64GB Black (Unlocked) #ONEXPLUS - Expansys USA

again price should not be considered in the comparison

thechemE#CB

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
so can you get an unlocked one and use straight talk or something? That sounds very very tempting right about now.

that is what I am thinking. In theory if it is unlocked and the frequencies match up to either at&t or t mobile it should work. However I am not 100% sure. This will be the first time I am off of cdma and postpaid

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It'll work on AT&TX.

You should also theoretically get any updates that HTC releases for it. And since it's unlocked you can crack the bootloader and, assuming a dev community grows around it, flash custom ROMs easily.

Just look at the dev community around the original international One X.

thechemE#CB

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
It'll work on AT&TX.

You should also theoretically get any updates that HTC releases for it. And since it's unlocked you can crack the bootloader and, assuming a dev community grows around it, flash custom ROMs easily.

Just look at the dev community around the original international One X.

Anyone have a solid idea of how it may work on T-Mobile pre paid. From the specs it looks like this phone supports hspa+ 42 but it is missing the 1700 MHz band. According to tmobile hspa+ runs on both the 1700 and 1900mhz band. I'm not sure how this effects things

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Still the Nexus 4. The One X looks better IMO and has a better camera but the Nexus 4 still gets faster updates and has twice as much RAM.

skizzoid

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile primarily uses the 1700 MHz band for their 3G/HSPA service, so normally, the phone would switch to EDGE (2.5G) on the 1900 MHz band (or something to that effect) if it doesn't have a radio for that frequency. However, T-Mobile is refarming their 1900 MHz spectrum for 3G/HSPA service instead of EDGE. So if you're in one of T-Mobile's refarmed areas, you should be able to get an HSPA+ 42 connection with the 1900 band. Check out the website here to see if there are any T-Mobile 1900 HSPA sightings in your area; otherwise, you're stuck with an EDGE connection on your phone (the downside to using a quadband phone on T-Mobile).

Also, if you're going unlocked, another option is to just buy the One X+ off-contract from AT&T and ask them for the unlock code (I've heard they're good about unlocking off-contract phones). It's slightly cheaper, plus it includes LTE compatibility for AT&T (and T-Mobile) frequencies if you decide to go postpaid again. I thought I saw that the AT&T version has HSPA+21 (instead of 42), but I can't seem to find any reference to that, so there may or may not be a tradeoff there between the two different One X+ models.

Exergy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I read a review that compared the two device (N4 and X+). There may have been biased but the N4 out performed the speed and battery life of the X+. I think the review may have even been on android central. Anyway, if they were priced the same I would still go with the N4. IMO htc wraps a lot of cool little features into their phone but overlooks some serious drawbacks like battery..... Plus stock android has always been a personal favorite. Google treats the Nexus line very kindly.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have a solid idea of how it may work on T-Mobile pre paid. From the specs it looks like this phone supports hspa+ 42 but it is missing the 1700 MHz band. According to tmobile hspa+ runs on both the 1700 and 1900mhz band. I'm not sure how this effects things

If the phone doesn't support 1700/2100MHz (aka 1700 "AWS"), then don't buy it expecting to run on T-Mobile. T-Mo has started its rollout/transition to 1900MHz HSPA+, but is far from being everywhere. They're in a total of 15 markets with the service partially rolled out right now.

If you buy an international phone that's just quadband, meaning 850, 900, 1900, 2100MHz, you should only expect to use it on AT&T.

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Tanson, I had heard and seen the same thing about the One X+ Except my personal opinion is that HTC phones, while built well, I got sick of sense and the phone gets old.

Unlike my Samsungs, every galaxy they put out, and now my LG Nexus 4....it truly is incredible. It feels wonderful in the hand. And while I am not an Apple fan, we have to admit we have all fooled with one, liked some things, other things not so much. Apple has the TOUCH. Smooth and things open up quick

....until NOW. I believe the Nexus is totally on that level.

I went on a tangent. the above is my opinion of course and I respect others. I just wanted to put out there to the OP that I had heard the battery of the ONE X+ is not all that..

Joet

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Andrew, I looked up the specs on the HTC one X+.

" LTE 700 MHz Class 17 / 1700 / 2100 for AT&T. "

Which is different then 1700 AWS, but could running it on T Mobile with a different ROM allow access to T Mobile 1700 MHs band?

Phrased another way, it appears that the HTC One X+ international has the hardware to get to 1700, will a change of software (ROM) get me there?

Thanks

Last edited:

taj7575

May 28, 2011
Visit site
In some ways, it would have been pretty cool if HTC made the Nexus 4 with the One x+ design.

I saw it in the AT&T store the other day, and honestly, it was an amazing looking product. Not only looks, but the feel of the product is great.

Overall though, HTC Sense is not good at all, and ruins the phone, so I would pick the Nexus 4 over it easily.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I know you said ignore price, but all I'm, going to say is that price and Sense are the only reason I do not own the One X+. It is a magnificent device.

Last edited:

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else still on the fence on these two? I can't decide which I prefer! (And I have both need to sell one)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

TenaciousLi

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'm on the fence as well. I like the One X+ for it's screen quality (color reproduction, etc.) and the fact that I don't have a glass back to worry about (evidently sometimes just a temperature change is enough to make a Nexus 4 glass back unhappy). But, even though it frees up screen real estate, buttons are waaaay down on the screen, which makes it uncomfortable for my thumb to hit. While I've only tried the One X+, I'd imagine that the Nexus 4 would feel better (back/menu/task buttonwise, to my thumb). What I value most in a phone, though, is battery life, and no way I'm trusting those reported on the AT&T website. Any users with solid numbers, I'd deeply appreciate! (moving from a 9-day dumbphone to a one-day smartphone has been bittersweet)

saeufer

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Andrew, I looked up the specs on the HTC one X+.

" LTE 700 MHz Class 17 / 1700 / 2100 for AT&T. "

Which is different then 1700 AWS, but could running it on T Mobile with a different ROM allow access to T Mobile 1700 MHs band?

Phrased another way, it appears that the HTC One X+ international has the hardware to get to 1700, will a change of software (ROM) get me there?

Thanks

No. The North American versions of the One X and X+ support 1700MHz LTE, but that's completely different from supporting 1700MHz HSPA.

No version of the One X/X+ supports HSPA on T-Mobile's band IV, not surprisingly since it's only used by T-Mobile USA plus a couple minor Canadian carriers and allegedly a Chilean one. On the HSPA front, the only difference between models is that the original One X for North America doesn't support the 900MHz band (VIII, not used in North America); otherwise they're all quad-band (I, II, V, VIII) like most phones. Penta-band phones are pretty rare; off the top of my head the only ones I can think of are the N4 and the GNex. Even the GS3 comes in different versions for AT&T and T-Mobile.

Until T-Mobile finishes their band II (1900) rollout, T-Mobile's customers are very seriously limited in their choice of phones unless they like EDGE.

Qbancelli

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I love my Nexus 4, but the AT&T One X+ is my dream phone. That display is just georgeous.

Next year when T-Mobile launches its LTE network, I'm definitely getting it since it supports band 4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol